Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling gone in 7.0 S7?

dj9928
4: Newbie

So I am running the beta 7.0 for S7, the Wifi calling option has vanished.  Now you may say it hasn't been added yet as its beta but the option is confirmed to be there for EE and 3 sim cards. Vodafone nothing.

84 REPLIES 84

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Vodafone has made it abundantly clear from the very outset that Wi Fi calling is only available to phones that they have supplied. If anyone has managed to get it to work on unbranded handsets that is a fortunate mistake that they have benefited from.

Just as you are free to choose where you get your phone from, Vodafone is free to choose who they supply their services to even if we, as customers, don't agree with their decisions.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

How Vodafone can choose what i can use if i'm paying for it? It is included to my contract and when i was signing it there wasn't information that i have to use phone bought directly from Vodafone. 
Otherwise, why Apple iPhone users can use WiFi calling without branded software? That is another discrimination of us, Android users. There is no matter where they get phone from - Vodafone, Carphone Warehouse or any other network and they can use WiFi Calling straight after activation. 
Sick. 

jeffkinn

The information is quite clear:

To take advantage of Wi-Fi Calling, you need:

• A Pay monthly Red or Red Value Bundle, Red+ or Business Premier*
  • A compatible device:
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus or iPhone SE
    • A Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016 and 2017), A5 (2016 and 2017), S6, S6 edge, S7 or S7 edge bought directly from Vodafone at one of our stores, online or by phone through our customer services team

iPhones are not Android devices. No Android manufacturer is anywhere near as powerful as Apple.

That's the way it is.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

So... It is the best time to leave this network. Any other network offering WiFi Caling is usable with non branded phones. I don't need network rubbish apps on my - MY OWN - phone. 

jeffkinn

All personal choice. I believe EE has the same policy as Vodafone on Wi Fi calling. Networks, like all large companies, are all about their own brand and pushing that brand as much as possible.

Personally, having had Wi Fi calling since day one, I have hardly ever used it and it certainly wouldn't be a reason for me to leave a network assuming that all else was equal. Whatsapp offers Wi Fi calling as a standard feature and as most people seem to have Whatsapp these days it is a decent alternative.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Not everyone using WhatsApp or similar apps - i'm not using as i don't need it. I have unlimited minutes in my contract so why i should use other apps to make or receive calls?
EE and Three doesn't need brand to use WiFi Calling and it works perfectly on Android 7 BTU. 
Leaving network? Yes but WiFi calling is not a main reason - it is one what help me make decision but this topic is not for talking about it.

jeffkinn

This is from the EE website

WiFi Calling is available on all versions of the iPhone 5c and later models of the iPhone, as well as the Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge, A3 (2017), A5 (2017), Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Lumia 550, 650, 950, 950XL, HTC 10, Blackberry Priv, Blackberry Dtek 50, Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL.

It's only available on the EE version of all other compatible Android and Windows devices which can only be bought directly from us in one of our storesonline or through our telesales team. At present, other Android and Windows devices bought from other retailers will not be able to support WiFi Calling.

My bold and italics and not theirs.

3 uses an app and not native Wi fi calling. O2 has the same with their TuGo app

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Yeah, same as with Vodafone. On website is info that will work only with branded phones and i have flashed yesterday 6.0.1 BTU and WiFi calling was working on 7.0 is not. 
Problem is that information on website is not covered on reality. 
I will put EE or Three sim card to my phone and everything will work after reboot and receiving network settings. 
And this is not only my opinion, read above. :Smiling:

Vodafone released Android N 7.0 for S7 and S7 Edge. 
And? After flashing pack of VOD 7.0 we get VD2 7.0 and there is no chance to back to VOD CSC. I tried also on other phone to get it restored via SmartSwitch and it is also VD2 not VOD. I understand that is multi CSC software but for Good why Vodafone again broke it? 
On VD2 we are unable to use WiFi Calling becouse this is not native to UK. Sick!

Yes, wifi calling has gone in 7.0. And it's not the fault of Vodafone.  It's a Samsung/Android issue. Here's how I know this:

1. Was running wifi calling successfully on my S7 with Android 6.01 using the Vodafone ROM.
  2. Took the Vodafone OTA update to 7.0 and lost wifi calling
  3. Flashed 6.01 (non Vodafone) and got wifi calling back
  4. Took the OTA update to 7.0 (non Vodafone) and lost wifi calling
  5. Re-flashed with 6.01 (non Vodafone) and wifi calling returned.

Seems pretty conclusive to me that we need to be holding Samsung's feet to the fire on this, not Vodafone. Having said that Vodafone do seem to have responded to this at a glacial pace.