Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Wifi Calling gone in 7.0 S7?

dj9928
4: Newbie

So I am running the beta 7.0 for S7, the Wifi calling option has vanished.  Now you may say it hasn't been added yet as its beta but the option is confirmed to be there for EE and 3 sim cards. Vodafone nothing.

84 REPLIES 84

So to clarify, Vodafone are happy to take the same amount of money from someone who has an unbrabded phone but they choose not to give the same support.

I work in the motor industry and the manufacturer expects the dealer to offer the same support and information regardless of where the car is purchased, It is not in their interest to cherry pick who has what.

I don't think I would be quite so bothered but until this update I had wi fi calling, a nice feature that was brought to my attention by Vodafone as soon as I upgraded to the S7, I received a text message congratulating me on my new phone and to active this great feature simply text CALLING to the number quoted. No mention of the fact they descriminate against unbranded phone purchases and don't feel the need to let customers know that they will rescind the offer.

I simply will not renew my contract with Vodafone if this is how I am treated.

@sonic1 it is exactly what i felt and i will do the same. My 3 contracts will end soon and if i will be treated like "worst" person becouse i'm using unbranded phone i will not renev all of them. 

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@sonic1

It's a shame you feel this way. 

We’re working on adding other top phones. You can find the latest news and register your interest online.

@Dane_B but what you working on? Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge was perfectly working with WiFi Calling on unbranded phones on Android 6.0.1 and after Android 7 was released we lost this and can not use anymore. 
Vodafone going on wrong way. 

@Dane_B The Galaxy s7 is a top phone, I have used Samsung phones for many years now and have no intention of moving away from them. This is clearly and Vodafone decision and nothing to do with Samsung.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

Whether we as customers like it or not, Vodafone has always had a position that only Android phones sourced directly from the network will be able to access Wi Fi calling. 

If anyone was able to access Wi Fi calling with a non branded Vodafone phone that was a fluke and a loophole that the network has now closed. 

Brand value is everything to large corporates these days and they will do whatever they can to promote their brand and ensure that people are brand loyal. Sometimes their efforts will have the opposite effect on some people.

EE takes exactly the same position on Wi Fi calling for the same reason.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

As stated in my earlier post, in my experience Wifi calling works in 6.0.1 for the branded and de-branded ROM on an S7.  It did not work in 7.0 on either ROM. I think this is an Android/Samsung issue.

I am currently using wifi calling on my de-branded S7 with 6.0.1 and it works just fine. 

That is not Android or Samsung issue. Vodafone just not release setting with network settings to give access to WiFi Calling on unbranded phones. 
Now setting are hidden in branded software and are unable to change untill you root your device. 

I would love to hear if iphone users are going to get the same treatment. :smileyfrustrated:

For me it is simple, Vodafone have made this decision and somehow they think it will help them sell more branded phones, the relality is people will read this and do the exact opposite.

I live in a rural area and have little or no signal at home, in fact the whole county has poor coverage from most providers. If marketed correctly and not cherry picked wifi calling would be a great selling point.

My decision though is easy,as soon as my contract and my wife's contract is up we shall walk and I am sure many others will do the same, I will not be forced where I can purchase a product from.

jeffkinn

iPhone users will not get the same treatment as Apple doesn't allow any network to apply branding to iOS. Every iPhone has the same software on it anywhere in the world.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png