cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Will Factory Settings sort this problem out?

SteveHigh
4: Newbie
If I restore my Samsung Galaxy Mini to Factory Settings is it likely to resolve this problem: I have a problem downloading and installing WhatsApp from Google Play Store. WhatsApp is downloaded from Google Play Store, but I when I press on the link provided on my phone's screen, I get a message saying 'Browser no longer supported'. The phone is 2 years old, and my network provider is Vodafone. There is nothing wrong with my router because I have another phone, A Vodafone phone, with WhatsApp installed and I can text perfectly using the same router. Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Ok so the phone was originally supplied by EE and then unlocked to be able to use any Networks Sim Card in it. 

The phone one I think will still possibly have soon EE bloat ware and pre set options in it. 

One of the settings is how the Home Page can be set so when the Internet Browser is launched it'll navigate to the pre set homepage. At present it looks to be EE's home webpage. 

Normally this can be changed via launching the internet browser and then tap on the 3 little dots usually found at the top Right Hand Side of the screen in the URL bar. 

Press Settings and hopefully the top option in your screen is 'HomePage'

This is the place to set where your phone navigates to when first launching the internet. 

On my Samsung phone on the 3rd option down is the 'Default Search Engine' where you can choose to use different options. If you see this then choose 'Google' if you can. 

No matter which Network supplied the phone originally the phone is provided with several apps already included. One of these being PlayStore. 

Without this then downloading wanted Apps and updating the existing ones wouldn't be possible. 

Now if a person cannot see the PlayStore in their App Drawer and after using any phone internal search feature  I would suggest looking to speaking with Samsung who maybe able to help. 

They have Samsung Service Locations where a person can visit to have their phone looked at. Some Carphone Warehouses have a Service Centre in them too. 

Link > samsung uk/support service-location.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

Performing a Factory Reset will take the phone back to the last Firmware update but will wipe all your data so please make a back up first. This is a known good troubleshooting option. 

However before this i would suggest looking at performing a clear System Cache first as this won't erase your personal data if your phone can do that. 

You could also look at deleting the app from your my apps in yiur PlayStore and then try and download a fresh copy. 

Current Phone  >

Thanks for your reply.

I don't have the Google Play Store app on the phone. As I say, when I try to download it, Google tells me 'Browser not supported'. Underneath that message on the same page on my screen, it says click hear to download the Play Store. When I do that, it says 'Server Error. Retry. I press Retry, and the same message comes up - as if I am stuck in a loop.

How would I clear the cache, please?

BandOfBrothers

Hi,

I was looking at the specs of your phone on gsmarena and the first user comment is about WhatsApp not working !

Link > http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_mini_s5570-3725.php

How do you download apps if you don't have GooglePlay ?

Which Browser are you using ? Is it possible to clear its Cookies and caches ? 

Can you download another internet app such as Google Chrome?

It's similar to the process listed in > https://www.androidpit.com/forum/608583/how-to-clear-the-system-cache-for-the-samsung-galaxy-s3

Current Phone  >

I don't download any apps. I use the phone only for incoming calls, WhatsApp, and the Alarm. 

I was going to ask you that. How do I know which browser I am using - it's not as easy as a PC or laptop, is it?

Just charging the phone up and will try to download Chrome or IE, and reply when it's charged.

Thanks for that useful link!

BandOfBrothers

You're Welcome for the link. 

What does the App icon look like ? That usually points to which internet browser your using. 

I use the Samsung Browser so my App icon looks like this....

IMG_0950.PNG

The Google Chrome Browser App looks like....

IMG_0951.ICO

Current Phone  >

As I say, I don't have Play Store on the Samung phone (the one I am having trouble with), but on my Vodafone, which does have Play Store - which I have never even clicked on - the logo looks like this:

Google-Play-Store-Logo.png

BandOfBrothers

@SteveHigh wrote:

As I say, I don't have Play Store on the Samung phone (the one I am having trouble with), but on my Vodafone, which does have Play Store - which I have never even clicked on - the logo looks like this:

Google-Play-Store-Logo.png

Thst to me looks like a Lollipop PlayStore alternative Icon from an icon set that been chosen for your browser icon. 

Icon Sets.

Current Phone  >

From a Google Search some people who have had similar issues. 

Possibly some advice in these may help. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-iii/387670-play-store-app-missing.html

Find the Google Play Store app.

Looking from Google Searches some mention downloading the PlayStore to a Computer and then transfer it to the phone. 

Current Phone  >

SteveHigh
4: Newbie

Phone now charged.

There is no Internet brand browser icon on my screen, just a planet Earth icon. When I press it, I am taken by default to shop.ee.co.uk

My aunt had this phone and she used T-Mobile before I put a Vodafone sim card in it. On that ee.co.uk page, I typed in www.yahoo.co.uk in the search tool along the top in order to search for a browser I could download as you suggested, but the page would not move from that ee page. Then I typed in bbc.co.uk - same thing happened. It seems that the browser has been somehow hijacked and maybe that's why I can't access Google Play Store?