Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Will my Huawei still be usable?

Rapthorne
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm sure a lot of people have seen the news today that as a result of the US decision to block Huawei from trading, Huawei phones will be losing a good chunk of functionality (see here: https://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-losing-access-android-updates-google-support-after-trump-trade... ).

Does Vodaphone have any insight on this, and if the UK will be affected?

My other concern is whether we can send our contract phones back to Vodaphone due to this news and get different brand devices. My phone contract is only very recent, so I'd be a bit miffed to be stuck with a phone that can't be used fully for the next 2 years.

10 REPLIES 10

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Rapthorne  this only relates to new phones on the next version of Android, all existing phones on current versions will continue to be supported for apps and security updates. 

Edit. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48330310

one problem could be if you try to update to the next version of Android and what could happen then?

Huawei have now released their own statement :-

"Huawei has made substantial contributions to the development and growth of Android around the world. As one of Android’s key global partners, we have worked closely with their open-source platform to develop an ecosystem that has benefitted both users and the industry.
Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after-sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products, covering those that have been sold and that are still in stock globally.
We will continue to build a safe and sustainable software ecosystem, in order to provide the best experience for all users globally."

https://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_will_keep_providing_security_updates_and_aftersales_services_to_exis...

chris_cardiff
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Why is Vodafone deleting my response?

From what we know so far, old devices will still currently support app updates through Google's Play Store. However, Huawei devices won't be getting the next (Android Q) or any future OS upgrades.

Furthermore, most phone manufaturers are given details of secturity risks and software issues at least a month in advance. Allowing companies time to run tests and make sure there are no issues with their devices. As such, Huawei will now only receive the information the same day the public are informend of the vulnerabilities; meaning your device could possibly go weeks or months without the patch until Huawei has time to do their tests.

I am a P20 Pro user and my handset is less than 12months old (and part of 24 month contract). Not only is it frustrating knowing that my device is now 'at its peak' no longer being able to download any newer version of android, but the lack of up to date security is a major concern.

I implor Vodafone to offer their exisiting customers options to upgrade their handsets early.

I've just spoke to a very helpful and patient agent with regards to my P30 Pro which I got 6 weeks ago (took a while to get through, but then what do you expect on a day when a "bombshell" like this is dropped!)

He said that their agents received an update with what to tell customers. Basically it boils down to this :-

Is there a ban on the phones being used? No there isn't.

Does the phone still work? Yes it does

Is there a security risk with the phones? No evidence of that.

While this situation remains, they will not be offering anything other than standard Flexi Upgrades if you got your phone direct with Vodafone. If you got the phone through a third party, for example Carphone Warehouse. you will  need to deal with them instead.

If the situation  changes, the policy will be reviewed at that point.

OK from what I have read in the various news distributions this block does not just affect the updates of the core Android OS but does in fact affect a plethora of core applications that are used by the majority of phone users on a daily basis.

Overly it indicates that all of Googles facilities are to be restricted including Gmail, maps etc and the Play store will in effect become a dead duck to phone users with no updates being available.

If this transpires to be the case then the current users under contracts for phones have devices not up to the standards and specifications that they were sold and thus this nullifies the contract set out by Vodafone. 

Moneysavingexpert seems to disagree with you on some of this.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2019/05/got-a-huawei-smartphone--here-s-what-we-know-so-far/?...

The fact is the phones are not faulty, and as this situation has never occurred before, the legal situation is unclear.

If Google refuse to provide updates for the built-in apps, the device will continue to operate as it did when it was purchased. Manufacturers have in the past withdrawn software updates for devices, even when many people still have been paying for them on contact. 

It may well take a test case in court to see if users have any recourse against a network who supplied a handset which works exactly as it did when it was purchased, but cannot have software updates pushed out which normally only add additional features. 

We are still very much in the early days of this issue, and this is not just a Vodafone issue, or even just a UK one - its a worldwide one. 

If Google apps are blocked this would stop the ability to access Gmail, maps etc so you would not be able to use the phone for those uses.

I agree this does not constitute a fault with the hardware but if you are sold something on the premises of functionality  that a mobile is and that is then removed before expected obsolescence this is a major issue that needs to be addressed.

You wouldn't expect to buy a car with options as standard only for a update to come along and them be removed with no recourse.

The statement by Vodafone saying it will only affect OS updates is incorrect in that the Google release indicates all of their services will be eventually blocked, so how do we access our data if its blocked at source. PLAYSTORE is a core if that is blocked you will not get updates to applications that you will not be able to use as most require the latest to use.

This renders the phone useless for intended mobile usage. 

"Owners of Huawei or Honor phones will not find that they suddenly cannot install new apps or get updates for Google services.

The reason is that their devices have already been certified under processes known as the Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) and the Vendor Test Suite (VTS).

As a consequence, Google can provide them with new versions of its products and authorise downloads from its Play marketplace, without having to directly deal with Huawei itself." - BBC News - Huawei's Android loss: How it affects you

1. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48334739

Google will not and can not suddenly remove features from handsets already certified under their CTS & VTS schemes. To do so would risk alienating all the other manufacturers they deal with. 

Also, Google have stated they have no intention of removing Google Play services from existing Huawei devices.

Android (@Android) Tweeted:

For Huawei users' questions regarding our steps to comply w/ the recent US government actions: We assure you while we are complying with all US gov't requirements, services like Google Play & security from Google Play Protect will keep functioning on your existing Huawei device.

https://twitter.com/Android/status/1130313848332988421?s=17

Will wait and see how it pans out

But 2 years worth security and feature sets being omitted is a lot to ask people to soak up and still pay out lots on a phone that is worth nothing now.