Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Will my Huawei still be usable?

Rapthorne
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm sure a lot of people have seen the news today that as a result of the US decision to block Huawei from trading, Huawei phones will be losing a good chunk of functionality (see here: https://www.androidcentral.com/huawei-losing-access-android-updates-google-support-after-trump-trade... ).

Does Vodaphone have any insight on this, and if the UK will be affected?

My other concern is whether we can send our contract phones back to Vodaphone due to this news and get different brand devices. My phone contract is only very recent, so I'd be a bit miffed to be stuck with a phone that can't be used fully for the next 2 years.

10 REPLIES 10

chris_cardiff
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

As it stands I understand we won't be cut off from Google services. But the phone will no longer receive full OS updates (eg the highly anticipated android Q). Furthermore critical updates will now be rolled out much later than other manufacturers, after the security issues become public knowledge opening further vulnerability to Huawei handsets.

This also greatly devalue the handsets worth, something I did not anticipate or was expecting when signing a 24month contract which isn't even half way through.

I would prefer the option to sign another 24contract early and choosing an alternative handset, which I believe should not incur an extra early termination charge.