Ask

Solution

Xiaomi Poco F2 Pro - no 5G signal

pet2
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi,

I got a new Poco F2 Pro.

I've tried different areas that have 5G according to the network map but only ever get 4G. My plan has 5G included.

In the settings it's set to prefer 5G. When I do a manual network search I only get showed 4G, 3G and 2G networks.

According to the internet the frequency is supported.

Customer Service suggested I get a SIM card replacement, don't see how that's going to help though.

Any ideas what the issue might me?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

chistery
16: Advanced member

5G DCNR Restricted = True is your problem.

Try calling and asking them to reprovision your number. Most Level 1 staff will just blame your handset and run through their usual checks, get them to escalate to L2.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @pet2 

Nice phone. 👍

A sim swap is a tried and trusted method of resolution which is why the agent is probably suggesting it.

Are you able to test it in another 5G phone ?

All Vodafone sim cards are 5G ready but as 5G is very much in it's infancy as far as I'm aware a person needs to be pretty close to a 5G module.

Also 5G only allows faster downloads and not faster surfing.

Vodafone network/5g. 

From gsmarena.com/xiaomi_poco_f2_pro the phone supports 77, 78 Sub6

Vodafone frequencies are

Screenshot_20191018-154305_Samsung Internet.jpg

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Thanks, I tried in different areas, mostly Central London, never seen any trace of 5G anywhere.

I only got the SIM card in October but will give the SIM swap a try.

Is n78 maybe not the only frequency Vodafone uses?

BandOfBrothers

What I was attempting to say is that a person maybe in a 5G area but they still need to be pretty close to a 5G module in that 5G area to see the benefits of download speeds for large files @pet2 

Unfortunately as I mentioned 5G does not improve surfing speeds.

If you perform a forum search you'll see similar threads on 5G and possible speed's and user experiences.

Personally I'm not convinced a sim swap will help as it's connecting to the other data connections without issue.

Maybe just re check in the phone's connection settings that 5G is toggled On still.

You could ask customer services just to check your Account settings again.

If you Google Search the model of your phone you'll see some interesting sites and info about the capabilities of your phone and what Uk networks with 5G it should be compatible with.

And yes it should work with Vodafone's 5G going from...

frequency-checker/GB/xiaomi-poco-f2-pro 

Screenshot_20200630-165248_Samsung Internet.jpg

Current Phone  >

But I'm not getting any kind of 5G signal, only ever get a 4G signal and 5G doesn't even show up when I make a network search.

BandOfBrothers

Unfortunately issue's like yours are not easy to troubleshoot and invariably include lots of trial and error.

I assume the phone isn't supplied by Vodafone Uk so they won't be able to provide support for it,  and they'll only be able to go so far in regards to troubleshooting which is to check your account settings and sim swap.

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

My recent experience of 5G is that the Vodafone coverage maps are completely useless.

Knowing where the Vodafone masts are, the map shows 5G coverage is good all around them. Real life experience shows those masts have no 5G though. Eventually I managed to find a nearby mast that would let me connect.

The mast that is working shows limited coverage on the map.

Cellmapper is a good application to try and work out if it's the mast, the phone or account problem.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cellmapper.net.cellmapper

Post a screenshot of the cells page if you can.

Thanks, see the screenshot attached

It says 5G DCNR restricted true.

From looking here:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/talk/threads/5g-dcnr-status-restricted.36350/

It seems like Vodafone is blocking my SIM from accessing 5G, even though it's included in my plan?

Screenshot_2020-07-02-11-49-12-459_cellmapper.net.cellmapper.jpg

chistery

5G DCNR Restricted = True is your problem.

Try calling and asking them to reprovision your number. Most Level 1 staff will just blame your handset and run through their usual checks, get them to escalate to L2.