cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

use samsung j3 2017 to connect laptop to internet?

Samdy
6: Helper
6: Helper

How can this be done please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Are you talking about a hot spot to tether your mobile data from your phone to the laptop ? 

If so Vodafone customer services on 191 or Live Chat may need to turn this facility on.

On the phone pull down the notification shade from the top and toggle on Mobile Hotspot.

Be aware mobile data can be used faster this way as the laptop can access more feature rich content and your phones battery may deplete faster.

Some people prefer a data dongle instead.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

View solution in original position

7 REPLIES 7

BandOfBrothers

Are you talking about a hot spot to tether your mobile data from your phone to the laptop ? 

If so Vodafone customer services on 191 or Live Chat may need to turn this facility on.

On the phone pull down the notification shade from the top and toggle on Mobile Hotspot.

Be aware mobile data can be used faster this way as the laptop can access more feature rich content and your phones battery may deplete faster.

Some people prefer a data dongle instead.

Current Phone  >

I simply want to connect my Asus laptop to the Internet via (I imagine) WiFi from the mobile...

hrym

If you enable the hotspot on the phone (as @BandOfBrothers explains), you can connect the laptop via wifi as usual.   When the hotspot is active, there should be options to rename it if you want and to set something other than a random password.

It's probably not ideal as a regular solution, but for occasional use provides functionality at no extra hardware cost.  Just keep an eye on your data usage.

Thanks Hrym,

Definitely occasional use only - we have a laptop at a club I attend that has no wifi connection - so temporary for occasional club downloads...

Samdy

BandOfBrothers

@Samdy wrote:

I simply want to connect my Asus laptop to the Internet via (I imagine) WiFi from the mobile...

Then please follow what I've suggested and your laptop and phone should connect.

Current Phone  >

linkn193
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

you can't share wifi but can only share 4G, go to settings -> share Internet connection -> turn on mobile hotspot, set password and id is ok.

--------------------

[MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove personal information please see Community Guidelines]

Thank you everyone so much.

I finally got my Asus Laptop charged up today and gave it a go and it was so easy to do on the mobile, just three steps: -

1. Settings

2. Connections

3. Mobile Hotspot

The Asus found it straight away and I was up and running.

Bearing in mind the warnings about data usage, I had one quick session of 30 minutes online for a test. After which I found that I had used just 200mb of my mobile phone's data allaowance which is much better than I had expected. So a couple of one hour sessions each week won't make any difference to my allowance.

Obviously, this was through 4G and not WiFi - in fact I have never used this phone with WiFi in past two years since purchase. Since getting 4G my WiFi is permanently Off.

Thanks again,

Samdy.