Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings

ks1
4: Newbie

Yes, another one of those wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings posts. 

In my case its an XZ1 Compact, listed  here as compatible with vodafone's wifi calling, and here by Sony as available to this phone (latest firmware 47.1.A.12.75).  I've texted 'calling' to 97888 and got the reply saying it'll be enabled and done a live chat today with someone confirming it's enabled on the account. I recived an OTA provisioning message, which created an APN that wasn't like the settings shown here, but I did subsequently add a new APN rebooted and switched to it.  None of these steps has thus far created an option in my Phone > settings > calls menu that says Wifi Calling.

I went round it circles with the live chat people, who kept looking at the old marketing page here (from Sep 2015) which only lists Sony's XY Premium phone and telling me that was probably why. (Bizarrely, they even said "we're not allowed to look at other web pages" [even though the page that says my phone is supported is vodafone's own support page])

Has anybody got any suggestions for what I could do that I haven't already tried?

66 REPLIES 66

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ks1 We'll be happy to double check this on your account and then we'd be able to advise accordingly of the next steps. 

I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us directly so we're able to do this. 

Hello Alex, you appear to have posted a private message asking me to get back in touch to ask a question. The question is here, above. 

Hello Alex, 

For some reason the forum won't let me reply to your private message with a private message (says I've reached the limit even though I haven't sent any).

Anyway... as I saidyou appear to have posted a private message asking me to get back in touch to ask a question.

Experience tells me that "happy to double check this on your account and then we'd be able to advise accordingly of the next steps. " actually means start again with another person in your contact centre.  I have no appetite to go back around the loop and repeat all the steps.  So rather than "double check" please can you just assume what I've written in the post is not a lie and tell me what else could fix this problem like your colleagues appear to have done in the many other posts about not having a visible "WiFi calling" option in their phone's menu which seem to have been resolved.

Thanks

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@ks1 Did you buy the phone directly from us? The phone will need to have been purchased from us to use your Wi-Fi calling.

Have you made sure that the phone is fully up to date with any system updates? You can also try texting WEB to 40127 to configure your settings. 

Please get back to us and let us know if this helps at all

wrote:
You can also try texting WEB to 40127 to configure your settings. 

That seemed to add back the standard APN settings.  Why did you suggest that? 

@TJwrote:

Have you made sure that the phone is fully up to date with any system updates?

@ks1Yes

@TJwrote:

@ks1The phone will need to have been purchased from us to use your Wi-Fi calling.

Not according to your colleagues (or Sony). 

What difference would that make anwway? (you can push the necessary settings and software to the phone no matter where it is was delivered from Carphone Warehouse, Mobiles.co.uk, etc. like mine)

TJ

@ks1 I can understand your frustration and apologise for the delay in getting this resolved. The best thing we can do is confirm that everything is set up correctly our side, to rule out any possible problems. To do this we'll need to access your account. 

I've sent you out another private message with details on how to get in touch. Please follow the link provided and a member of our team will be in touch. 

Hello, TJ, I've done that (or filled in your form, again)

Two more rounds of being called, asked to hold, repeat the issue, followed by an email from from the 'Social Media team'):

...I would like to inform you that Wi-Fi calling is a service which is supported by your network provider. However, this would only work when Wi-Fi calling option is available on your phone. In your case, the option is not available which is a software issue. Hence we would request you to take the device to nearest Vodafone store so they can assist you further. I am sorry I won’t be able escalate the issue to technical support team as there is no option of Wi-Fi calling reflecting in the handset.

There are plenty of stories on this forum indicating that spending hours going to the store is a wasted of time to solve this issue, so I pointed out:

You seem to have missed the point and not listened or read properly the actual issue. The issue is that the phone, and network must support wifi calling AND the network provide must enable wifi calling both at the network end AND on the phone by sending an OTA (Over The Air) update to the phone that ensure the APN is correct AND another OTA update that makes the Wifi Calling option appear in the Phone > Settings > Calls menu. You have only sent me the APN settings - not the second OTA update. 

So today 3 more calls mostly listening to music and having to repeat myself, then Social Media spoke to Line 1 Tech who....pushed the APN setttings again., which not surprisingly didn't work.  While I was on hold they texted me Sony's consumer support telephone number!, obviously not having bothered to even read the forst forum post or look at Sony's support page which shows the phone is compatible: https://support.sonymobile.com/gb/xperiaxz1compact/kb/801930746ffcf563015c0bfaac370020da/

Another half an hour of life gone on hold & they said they'd "escalate to a Superuser", but instead the Social Media bloke came back on and said to restart the phone (that he was calling me on), and tell him if that had sorted it.  Unsurprisingly, not.

TJ

@ks1 I'm sorry to hear we've not been able to get this resolved for you yet.

Please could you provide me with the email reference number that'll we'll have sent out to you - it'll look something like this [#1234567] so I chase this up for you.