Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings

ks1
4: Newbie

Yes, another one of those wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings posts. 

In my case its an XZ1 Compact, listed  here as compatible with vodafone's wifi calling, and here by Sony as available to this phone (latest firmware 47.1.A.12.75).  I've texted 'calling' to 97888 and got the reply saying it'll be enabled and done a live chat today with someone confirming it's enabled on the account. I recived an OTA provisioning message, which created an APN that wasn't like the settings shown here, but I did subsequently add a new APN rebooted and switched to it.  None of these steps has thus far created an option in my Phone > settings > calls menu that says Wifi Calling.

I went round it circles with the live chat people, who kept looking at the old marketing page here (from Sep 2015) which only lists Sony's XY Premium phone and telling me that was probably why. (Bizarrely, they even said "we're not allowed to look at other web pages" [even though the page that says my phone is supported is vodafone's own support page])

Has anybody got any suggestions for what I could do that I haven't already tried?

66 REPLIES 66

Hi - it's 18088765

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@ks1 I can see our team were back in touch with you yesterday, advising the next steps. Have you had a chance to view this email? 

If you have any further queries in relation to this email, please reply to it and a member of the team will be in contact. 

@Alex: 

I viewed and responded to their emails.  They told me to do exactly what I have described has already be done (They resent APN settings - not OMA provisioning for the WIfi Calls in the phone menu), told me restart, then reset the phone, etc,) I did this 4 more times.  Then they said again it's Sony's issue.  Then they said to take it to a Vodafone shop.  I asked what a shop would do that they haven't, and they said look at the software.  I showed them the software is teh latest version, and then they did the same APn thing again.

...No, still not resolved, and apparently not escalated to somebody who knows how the other people who had this issue have had it fixed

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@ks1 - If you’re unable to go to your local Vodafone store, then please reply to the last email from 28 February and we’ll see if there’s anything else we can try.

We want the best resolution for you.

No one has explained to me what the store would differently than your support people or I would do at home.   If I'm going to spend 3 hours of my life getting to a store and back, I want to understand.

Hi. I have a different phone, but had similar issues. I think what I've written below may help, even if you have a different handset. This was my own experience with WiFi calling on my unlocked Sony Xperia XZ1 compact (bought from Carphone Warehouse). I, too, jumped through many hoops to try and get this enabled. Vodafone were useless! Then today, I was prompted to install an android system update, which I duly did. I was on Android 8.0 (Oreo, I think?). Anyway, as of today's update both WiFi calling AND 4g calling are working on my unlocked XZ1 compact!  I now (finally!!) have the WiFi calling option available, if I click the 3 dots, top right of the phone app screen! I enabled this (it was already enabled in 'my Vodafone'), and tested it. I put the phone in Aeroplane mode (which disables wifi and disconnects the phone from the cellular network) then re-enabled wifi. It takes up to 10 seconds (usually less), but after a short wait the WiFi calling icon appears in the notification bar at the top of the screen. This symbol is a phone handset with a mini WiFi shape next to it. I made a call, and it went through via WiFi! It even says wifi call on the dialler screen. Its an added bonus that 4g calling now works too! I made a test call with WiFi off, and the indicator next to the signal strength bars stayed on 4g, instead of reverting to H+ or whatever, as it always did before. Now - whether this is just luck, and the features are enabled only because of the Android system update, or whether it's because I threatened to move to O2, I really couldn't say. All I can say, is that this was a full on Android update, not one of the hopeless OTA updates vodafone had tried so many times. Anyway - it all works fine, so it must be do-able for others with unlocked XZ1 compacts, and other handsets, too. Ive just checked in 'about phone' and it says I'm on Android 8.0.0 (I'm not sure if that's different). I hope this info might help anyone in a similar boat. If Vodafone tell you it can't be done, just refer them to this thread. As  long as your handset is wifi calling capable, it can be enabled. All the best. 

Fodderrob
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

@ks1,

Have you resolved your issue with WiFi calling?

If not I believe I would be able to assist you in resolving the problem you are facing. I was previously using a Xperia XZ Premium, not purchased from Vodafone, was what would be called non-contract phone, which comes with only the generic software installed from Sony as like with most manufacturers if you don't purchase the device from the carrier. 

I was able to easily 'flash' the Vodafone customised firmware onto the device and the settings you are refering to become available straight away within the handset settings, as long as it is enabled in your account.

Let me know if you want any help with this.

Also, please if you do need help reply with the modem configuration currently loaded on the device by doing the following:

1. Open Dialer.
  2. *#*#7378423#*#*
  3. Press 'Service Info'
  4. Press 'Software Info'
  5. Copy the Current Modem Config

@Fodderrobwrote:

I was able to easily 'flash' the Vodafone customised firmware onto the device and the settings you are refering to become available straight away within the handset settings, as long as it is enabled in your account.

Hi are you talking about flashing with Flashtool or Sony Emma tool?  Presumably you had to unlock the bootloader and therefore lost DRM and camera quality?  I'd prefer not to do that.

Flashing an official firmware using Flashtool does not void warranty or invalidate any security key. Security key are void if you unlock the bootloader but you would only do this if you want to root your device which is not what we are doing.

All you are doing would be replacing one official Sony firmware with another.

I've got the exact same issue as ks1; my XZ1 was bought sim-free from Argos.

I've tried to filter out only the relevant details from my the software info page in the service menu. These are as follows.

Phone software version:

1307-7511_47.1.A.12.119

GLOBEL-LTE4A - user

Active Customization Version:

1310-6856_R15B

Type Number:
PM-1061-BV

Current Modem Config:

/system/etc/customization/modem/amss_fsg_lilac_telefonica_uk_tar.mbn

That last one is very interesting. Why have I got a telefonica (o2) modem config? My phone number was (absolutely originally) with o2, although it's been ported to Three first before going to Voda.

Maybe that's a clue?

With Flashtool, can I just choose to flash a Vodafone firmware on the phone? Or do I need to track it down on some random forum somewhere?