Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings

ks1
4: Newbie

Yes, another one of those wifi calling enabled on account but not visible in the settings posts. 

In my case its an XZ1 Compact, listed  here as compatible with vodafone's wifi calling, and here by Sony as available to this phone (latest firmware 47.1.A.12.75).  I've texted 'calling' to 97888 and got the reply saying it'll be enabled and done a live chat today with someone confirming it's enabled on the account. I recived an OTA provisioning message, which created an APN that wasn't like the settings shown here, but I did subsequently add a new APN rebooted and switched to it.  None of these steps has thus far created an option in my Phone > settings > calls menu that says Wifi Calling.

I went round it circles with the live chat people, who kept looking at the old marketing page here (from Sep 2015) which only lists Sony's XY Premium phone and telling me that was probably why. (Bizarrely, they even said "we're not allowed to look at other web pages" [even though the page that says my phone is supported is vodafone's own support page])

Has anybody got any suggestions for what I could do that I haven't already tried?

66 REPLIES 66

It seems you only need to have a Vodafone rom installated once.  After that the OTA ROM updates work as usual and yo can get ridf of or disable the Vodafone bloatware, or reflash a generic rom.  What vodafone should do is provide whatever tiny few lines of code that are necessary to enable the wifi-calling menu option as a tiny installable .apk or OTA rather than go through all this BS, so that customers don't have to reflash their ROMs.  It's the antithesis of customer service.  So yes, best thing to do is switch to another carrier, like I did for my 6 other family phones

Well, the final step of the saga. Vodafone agreed to release me from my contract early, since they couldn't get the wifi calling working. I was offered the generous (hmm..) option of purchasing a sure signal for half the normal price, but in the nicest possible way I'm not willing to spend money to solve the problem, nor carry a sure signal around to every location where I've got wifi but poor phone signal.

I've got a Sim from EE, which is in fact a better deal for me. Put their SIM in, restarted my phone and a few hours later I had a text from EE saying "Wifi calling is now enabled on your account!" (or, words to that effect).

I restarted my phone, and sure enough it connected to Wifi calling. Switched to airplane mode and re-enabled wifi, and was able to call. I've also got 4g calling, just tried that a moment ago.

So the handset was capable all along; it's up to Vodafone if they wish to do the extra work to get it working.

The amount of effort I had to put in was astonishing. Nobody seemed to have any plan other than sending repeated configuration messages, and muttering that it ought to be working. Yet I seldom got called back when promised, nor did it seem like anything proactive happened. I mean look at this thread, there's only the occasional Vodafone staffer popping in going "uh, hi, uh, you can get in touch if you PM us? We're, um, yeah we'll definitely help!". If any of you are reading this, maybe update the website here: https://www.vodafone.co.uk/network/calling-features/wi-fi-calling to make sure people have bought the XZ1 Compact from Vodafone directly.

lamperg
2: Seeker

You can make a telephone number lookup for free using some service. It provides an opportunity to make a search by city or number 

skodaseven

Hi. I know your post is a few months old, so you may have it sorted now. On the off-chance you haven't, here's my own experience with WiFi calling on the XZ1 compact. I, too, jumped through many hoops to try and get this enabled. Vodafone were useless! Then today, I was prompted to install an android system update, which I duly did. I was on Android 8.0 (Oreo, I think?). Anyway, as of today's update both WiFi calling AND 4g calling are working on my unlocked XZ1 compact (from carphone warehouse)!  I now (finally!!) have the WiFi calling option available, if I click the 3 dots, top right of the phone app screen! I enabled this (it was already enabled in 'my Vodafone'), and tested it. I put the phone in Aeroplane mode (which disables wifi and disconnects the phone from the cellular network) then re-enabled wifi. It takes up to 10 seconds (usually less), but after a short wait the WiFi calling icon appears in the notification bar at the top of the screen. This symbol is a phone handset with a mini WiFi shape next to it. I made a call, and it went through via WiFi! It even says wifi call on the dialler screen. Its an added bonus that 4g calling now works too! I made a test call with WiFi off, and the indicator next to the signal strength bars stayed on 4g, instead of reverting to H+ or whatever, as it always did before. Now - whether this is just luck, and the features are enabled only because of the Android system update, or whether it's because I threatened to move to O2, I really couldn't say. All I can say, is that this was a full on Android update, not one of the hopeless OTA updates vodafone had tried so many times. Anyway - it all works fine, so it must be do-able for others with unlocked XZ1 compacts, too. Ive just checked in 'about phone' and it says I'm on Android 8.0.0 (I'm not sure if that's different). I hope this info might help anyone in a similar boat. If Vodafone tell you it can't be done, just refer them to this thread. All the best. 

After skodaseven posted, Ive just checked my ZX1 and I too have wifi calling in the call options

My phone was a stock XZ1 bought sim free from CPW. I also received an update to my firmware today. Im now on 47.1.A.12.270 Security patch August 2018. See attached screen shots. Third screen shot shows wifi calling symbol

willellwood

Afraid to say I gave up with them. No one has a clue apart from some phantom tech guy mentioned in an old post who resolved it for a  customer. They start off keen and drift away  I've been going round  in circles with this for so long I'm now out of contract! 

Next time I'll buy the phone through the networks so the settings match. 

But it won't be Vodafone. 

Best of luck