main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

BROKEN SCREEN

3: Seeker

hi all i dropped my phone and have cracked the front glass but you can still see the picture and use it fine. does anyone know the best place to get this fixed and roughly how much it will cost?? i have looked on the samsung websire and cant seem to find it out

many thanks

View more options
11 REPLIES
16: Advanced member

You need to speak to a service centre 

can be fron £40 to £100 as its not a easy fix and depending on what needs swopping 

found on 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/location/supportServiceLocation.do?page=SERVICE.LOCATION

View more options
13: Advanced Member

In my experience when I phoned 4 different Samsung Service centres about the same issue I got the following quotes:

1. £220
  2. £180
  3. £160
  4. £120

This was for just a cracked screen but with the digitiser still working i.e. the phone is still operational. The reason for the high cost is because all 4 service centres said you need to replace both the screen and the digitiser because they are bonded together. At the end of the day I am still using the phone as is because my crack is fairly minor and luckily only in the top right-hand corner.

Please bear in mind that these quotes are over 4 weeks old and the parts could have dropped since then. The prices seemed to go down the further away from Central London I went!  :smileyindifferent:

HTH

View more options
4: Newbie

Have you get the sreen replaced, if so how much did it cost in the end?

I dropped mine today and have seen some advertised on EBAY from China and they seem to have good feedback anyone else replaced one..

Whats the Digitiser?

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

Never used the Ebay service, it may invalidate your warranty.

The digitiser is what recognises your finger on the glass and tells the phone what to do. On S3's it is bonded between two panels of glass so both need to be replaced. i would still contact Samsung and let them give you a quote first.

Respice post te, mortalem te esse memento

View more options
13: Advanced Member

cash_13 wrote:

Have you get the sreen replaced, if so how much did it cost in the end?

I dropped mine today and have seen some advertised on EBAY from China and they seem to have good feedback anyone else replaced one..

Whats the Digitiser?

Still not got it fixed, I am still happy with the minor crack that is fully working.

Phone the Samung Service centres nearest to you to get a quote and let us know your findings.

I have also been monitoring Ebay prices, but not for the repair just for the component that I would fit myself.

View more options

Everything still works on mine It has causght a small stone or bit of gravel about 1" bottom right and has two semi circular cracks one going around the home button and one at the top around the samsung motif,

I was not aware that there was two pieces of glass, it would aprear then that I have only cracked the top one....

I am going to use a small drop of superglue to stop the impact crack splintering any further....

Warrenty what warrenty if anything goes wrong now they will say it is down to me droping the phone..

View more options
17: Community Champion

>I am going to use a small drop of superglue to stop the impact crack splintering any further....

Hmm.  That might be OK, but there might also be an issue if the glue seeps through the crack.  I think I'd probaby uise a screen protector.  I'd certainly consider not having the phone repaired if the damage was cosmetic and it was still working.  After all, if it gets worse, or fails, you'd probably still only have to have the screen replaced.

View more options

I'd thought of that so I was going to use Superglue Gell, worst comes to worst I will stick it on Ebay and sell it and use my spare phone as I can upgrade 1st May anyway...

Shame this had to happen, I had a job up in Cumbria yesterday and for some reason did not get a signal and thought by waving it about in frrustration it would amazingly get one!!!! how daft all I ended up doing was losing my grip....

£700 job £500 loss bargain welcome to 2013 :0(

View more options
17: Community Champion

That sounds ilke a plan.

(Did you know that, if you get superglue on your fingers, putting them in water sets it immediately and you can peel it off?  Saves sticking them together).

View more options
2: Seeker

some ebay listings for S3 broken screen repairs are by recognised Samsung repairers using genuine new parts.

You have to choose wisely.  Cheapest might not always be the best choice.

View more options

I have now bought a genuine screen from ebay for £20 from a uk source and fitted it myself by using a modeling heat gun and following the guide on You-Tube, the only problem I have now is a slight smearing and a little dust under the new screen......but thats my fault......Everything works fine no problems and was easy to do.

If you are out of warrenty period what have you to lose...

View more options