main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Connecting to Internet without using VMC software? Win XP and Win 7 solutions needed!

SOLVED
View solved solution
3: Seeker

Dear all,

Can anybody tell me how I can connect to the Internet using my Vodafone 12 month contract 5GB dongle by using the following software?

Windows XP

Windows 7

i.e. I want to know how I can connect to the Internet without using the Vodafone Mobile Connect software, in the event of the software failing. 

As I say, I took out a 12 month contract with Vodafone, on a 5GB usage, with the white stick dongle.  And I use Windows XP on two computers and Windows 7 on another computer.  So I would like to know the solution for both versions of Windows as I am rather IT illiterate! 

Thank you. 

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
15: Advanced member

You can create a 'Manual Dial up'. However I believe that you will still need VMC installed for any required drivers.

Manual Dial Up

Go to Start, Settings/Control Panel then click on Network Connections and create a new connection from the top of the menu by clicking on File then New connection.

Click Next

Select 'Connect to the Internet'   > click Next

'Set up my connection manually'   > click Next

'Connect using a dial up modem'   > click Next

Place a tick in 'Modem – Huawei/Option   > click Next

ISP name can be anything   > click Next

Phone number must be *99#   > click Next

Create this connection for: ‘user preference’ > click Next 

Username: web / Password: web   > click Next

Place a tick in ‘Add a shortcut to your desktop for this connection’

Click Finish

Click Dial

For Windows 7, try:

1)      In order to create a manual dial up, Click the Windows Start Button and select the Control Panel 

2)      Select Network and Sharing Center

3)      Select Set up a new connection or network

4)      Make sure Connect to the internet is highlighted, then press Next.

5)      Double click on Dial-up

6)      Double click on the Vodafone modem listed.

7)      Fill out the fields as below and press Connect.

8)      You will see the following message.

9)      You should then see this message. Click on Browse the internet now.

10)   To connect the modem in the future, wait until Windows has finished booting up. Plug in the modem and when you see the gold star  in your task bar, click it to bring up a menu of available connections. Select the one called Vodafone Hire and then click the Connect button that will appear.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

View more options
1 REPLY 1
15: Advanced member

You can create a 'Manual Dial up'. However I believe that you will still need VMC installed for any required drivers.

Manual Dial Up

Go to Start, Settings/Control Panel then click on Network Connections and create a new connection from the top of the menu by clicking on File then New connection.

Click Next

Select 'Connect to the Internet'   > click Next

'Set up my connection manually'   > click Next

'Connect using a dial up modem'   > click Next

Place a tick in 'Modem – Huawei/Option   > click Next

ISP name can be anything   > click Next

Phone number must be *99#   > click Next

Create this connection for: ‘user preference’ > click Next 

Username: web / Password: web   > click Next

Place a tick in ‘Add a shortcut to your desktop for this connection’

Click Finish

Click Dial

For Windows 7, try:

1)      In order to create a manual dial up, Click the Windows Start Button and select the Control Panel 

2)      Select Network and Sharing Center

3)      Select Set up a new connection or network

4)      Make sure Connect to the internet is highlighted, then press Next.

5)      Double click on Dial-up

6)      Double click on the Vodafone modem listed.

7)      Fill out the fields as below and press Connect.

8)      You will see the following message.

9)      You should then see this message. Click on Browse the internet now.

10)   To connect the modem in the future, wait until Windows has finished booting up. Plug in the modem and when you see the gold star  in your task bar, click it to bring up a menu of available connections. Select the one called Vodafone Hire and then click the Connect button that will appear.

Let me know how you get on.

Cheers

View more options