Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Data when on wifi

laurakated2907
3: Seeker

Ive gone over my data allowance whilst asleep and not using my phone. It was also connected to wifi all night. How can this be so when on wifi and not in use? i have a message at 2am saying data usage limit near, and then another 20mins later saying its all been used, and a 3rd 90 mins later saying you have used 200MB for £6.50. I didnt wake up until 6am so Ive no idea how much else it has used since then. I thought it would only use wifi at home and nothing when the phone isnt in use? No applications were running.

Any help please. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kids
Community Champion (Retired)

@laurakated2907 The problem with Facebook is that they continually change the way the app works so there may have been a change that has caused the excess data.

It is really a matter of monitoring each app to see if there is any unusually high usage

Also are you able to go into the apps and disable Mobile Data for them? This will ensure that if wifi is not connected the app will remain dormant until you change the setting again.

View solution in original position

19 REPLIES 19

laurakated2907
Yes I leave facebook logged in. It shows overall the data this month but not just last night. Facebook comes second in the list of apps on data usage. I normally get a notification when things are updated though and didnt wake up with any of those. Ive left it logged in every night for years (I dont even know my password for it as its not something I use a lot). Ill try to get a breakdown of what used it last night to see if it was this. Thanks

No worries. 

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

kids

@laurakated2907 The problem with Facebook is that they continually change the way the app works so there may have been a change that has caused the excess data.

It is really a matter of monitoring each app to see if there is any unusually high usage

Also are you able to go into the apps and disable Mobile Data for them? This will ensure that if wifi is not connected the app will remain dormant until you change the setting again.

laurakated2907
Thanks. I just went throught to see what i used last mo th compared to this montg. From looking Google+ has used 749MB this month compared to 16MB last month.

kids

@laurakated2907 That is a hell of a jump.

Maybe turn that app off or at least disable Mobile Data for it and see if that makes a difference.

I don't use Google apps as their privacy policy is suspect so I don't know what it would do in the background.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi, that does sound as if some sort of auto play of video clips has been activated or that you are now backing up all photos somehow.

kids

It will be worth checking that autoplay for videos is turned off in Facebook as if that is kicking in during the night that may also account for excess data.

laurakated2907
Its been backing up photos all night by the look of it. Ive turned that iff now. Still not sure why its not used the wifi over the mobile data but at least I know whats caused the usage. Thanks for all your help

kids

Good to hear you have found the culprit.

Thanks for updating us as the information will be of use to others in the future.