Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Google Calendar refuses to synch on Samsung S3 mini

Rick-W
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I use the Gmail and Google Calendar apps on a Samsung S3 mini, and have spent hours over several weeks now yet still the calendar on the phone will not syschronise with my Google account which I also use on various desktop PCs and a tablet. Sync fails in both directions, but only with the phone. The tablet is fine, and my old HTC phone is fine also, so the problem is somewhere in the phone settings in the S3 mini.

The phone comes with a heck of a lot of Samsung apps pre-installed including S-Planner which I used initially to see what it was like but soon stopped as I prefer Google's calendar. I wondered if there was some conflict so have cleared the cache several times in S Planner, and I have also tried clearing the cache of Calendar Storage.
I have also done several factory resets and several calendar re-installs - all without success.

The attached screenshot shows the problem with error: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly" - it is never "back".

Can someone help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Wow - a new calendar - and it works!

I am so grateful and pleased to see something better than Google's own calenda app, and without adverts.

I un-installed Google Calenda for the last time, checked that my account fully synchronised, then installed aCalendar and found it to synch perfectly both to and from my desktop calendar.

So no I can live happily ever after - what a relief.

Now I'm going to make an appropriate last post on the google forum that has been utterly useless!

Many thanks again,

Rick

View solution in original position

5 REPLIES 5

hrym
17: Community Champion

I've had odd calendar sync issues in similar circumstances.   If you have multiple calendars, you tend to have to allow them all to sync or none of them does.   It can be much the same with notifications, too.

If that fails, try removing your Google account and then adding it back.  That may re-set the settings.  What about other Google services, such as contacts - do they sync OK?

Hi - thanks very much for your suggestions, and sorry for the time taken getting back to you.

However, I have now found that the Google Calendar app itself is the problem! i.e. my google account synchronises fully after uninstalling the Google Calendar app, and fails when it is installed. And it fails with Calendar Sync.

This seems very odd. I have two shared calendars and they are both set to synch. Is there anything else that you know of that could cause this?

Rick

hrym

I have anything up to 3 calendar apps running on some devices (with my Google calendar, public holidays and the Formula 1 online calendar) - I use aCalendar, which is a front end for Google calendar and needs it in background, so I don't think that's the problem.

After I'd posted before, it occurred to me that it might also be worth looking in the main Settings menu under Accounts.  Tap on your Google a/c and see what's syncing there.  Is Calendar ticked?  That's the only other thing I can think of.

I am so grateful and pleased to see something better than Google's own calenda app, and without adverts.

I un-installed Google Calenda for the last time, checked that my account fully synchronised, then installed aCalendar and found it to synch perfectly both to and from my desktop calendar.

So no I can live happily ever after - what a relief.

Now I'm going to make an appropriate last post on the google forum that has been utterly useless!

Many thanks again,

Rick

hrym

@Rick-W wrote:

We're talking about aCalendar here?   Good, isn't it?  I found it when I was looking for something with a good month view.   The free version does everything I need but I do rather feel I should pay for it just because it is so good.