main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Google Nexus One - Release Android 2.2.1

12: Established
Sounds like the download has failed then, you can always extract it, if it doesn't contain another zip, it'll be crammed with .img files. Grab it again and see if it helps.
View more options
4: Newbie
@ Sarg92

Yours may not be.

I had a zip within a zip from here: (to get back an image of Vodafone's FRF91 though, not FRG33/83, when trying to restore back to VF FRF91 during yesterday's "experiment":

http://www.nexusonef...ally-frg83.html

(long post second from the bottom).

so just thought would suggest as you seemed to be getting same response from phone as me...
View more options
Highlighted
Here's what worked for me in 12 simple steps;

*assuming you have a Windows PC with .zip extraction capabilities, a USB port and a Nexus One (running VF FRF91) which can be plugged into the PC and the SDCARD on the N1 can be seen by the PC as a storage drive*

** also assuming you have all of your data on your Nexus One backed up, as data loss may/will occur. Also make sure that you had chosen for all settings (WiFi acceess points, etc.) to be backed up to Google's servers - this makes the restore part of it easy after upgrading the firmware.**

1. Download the file from here;
http://shipped-roms.com/download.php?category=android&model=Passion%20(Nexus%20One)&file=Passion_Goo...

2. Extract the content of the above file (the content is another .zip file) to your PC's desktop.

3. Rename the .zip file on your desktop to passimg.zip (be careful not to name it passimg.zip.zip, which is possible if you have your Windows PC setup to NOT show file extension types)

4. Connect your Nexus One to your PC via USB, and select 'Turn on USB storage' when the 'USB Connected' screen appears on tour N1.

5. Back to the PC - copy the file passimg.zip file from your PC desktop to the root directory of your Nexus One's SDCARD (do not put it into any folder on your SDCARD)

6. Back to the Nexus One - select 'Turn off USB storage' to disconnect the SDCARD from your PC

7. Power OFF your Nexus One

8. On your Nexus One, press & hold the VOLUME DOWN button and while holding it, press the Power button

9. The Nexus One will power up into bootloader mode - mainly a white screen with small multi-coloured text *IMPORTANT BIT* - do nothing else except watch your screen. Bootloader will automatically find the passimg.zip file in the root directory of your SDCARD and check it. Once it has checked it, it will ask you if you wish to update. Using the volume up/down buttons, select the 'YES' option, then press the power button.

10. The Nexus One bootloader will then install the new img file. It will show the progress on screen of each sub-section installation. I remember there are about 7 parts to install. Once complete, it will ask if you want to reboot. Using the volume up/down buttons, select the 'YES' option, then press the power button.

11. The Nexus One will then reboot as normal (as it was when it was new) - except this time, it's running on version FRG33

12. You'll then have to set-up the phone from scratch again (Google settings, etc) so there may be some time involved to do this. But while you are doing this, it is likely that your phone will report to Google's servers that it is running FRG33. They'll respond by sending a notification that an upgrade is available (to FRG83) - follow the instructions provided to download & install the upgrade . Once this is done, you're running stock (non-VF) FRG83. And you're free of VF and belong only to Google
View more options
Reports coming in from Vodafone Ireland, they are getting the OTA

Should we expect the official update form Vodafone UK soon !!!

I do not expect a comment for Vodafone UK as they do not comment on these things apart from stock answers :D

See page 1

All the best

MM
Rooting using the boot loader sounds fun

Miss Sold by Vodafone let down by Vodafone
View more options
Here's hoping.

Thanks to Rusty and david.walton for your guides above. I'm holding out for a VF update but it's useful to have step-by-step instructions to flashing, just in case.
View more options
Thanks David, I shall do mine tomorrow as it was how I did Froyo and it was painless!
View more options
5: Helper
I downloaded the zip file again and it successfully extracted this time. Installed it on the phone and then got the OTA to Android 2.2.1 (FRG83)! I did think about leaving the update and just waiting for the official Vodafone one but I proceeded with the process anyway because receiving all updates as soon as Google release them is a big bonus and is how it should be for all Nexus One's sold by Vodafone!

I am a bit annoyed that the Amazon MP3 app has reappeared and there is no way of getting rid of it without rooting which I don't want to do!

If all the rumours are true about Google releasing the next version of Android (Gingerbread) this month then I won't need to wait a month or two for Vodafone to finally approve it!
View more options

Here's what worked for me in 12 simple steps;
And you're free of VF and belong only to Google

Excellent and clear guide - thanks very much David.

Thanks to you and Rusty (and the fact that my fingers have healed quite well from the weekend's experiences ;)), I've followed your guide and it indeed did work perfectly! FRG83 downloading now!

Cheers
View more options
I'm going to try tonight.

Used to flashing blackberry's with non voda firmware - first attempt at android. Usually non VF is better so well worth it.

Rusty, don't go out - need you on standby
View more options
12: Established
:lol: I'll make sure to poke my head in, just in case.

On the plus side, there are 2 more with 1st hand experience of passimg files as well now :D
View more options
I did it! Thank you It was so easy, and if I can say that, it must have been!
View more options
Actually...my hands are shaking!
View more options
:D

One questions guys, it may have already been mentioned but I couldn't see it. After using the method described above, that everyone has had success with, is it possible to revert back to VF firmware? If so, what are the steps to do this?

Thanks.
View more options
Unless Vodafone give the Google updates directly

There could be a delay from Vodafone going forward http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11479788

Hope all the Mods are safe in their jobs

All the best

MM
Rooting using the boot loader sounds fun

Miss Sold by Vodafone let down by Vodafone
View more options
...and my phone is now downloading 2.2.1
View more options
@Divster - well done for diving in! You sound a tad happy

@ac75 - While I certainly don't want to go back to VF FRF91, in theory I don't see why the passimg.zip upgrade procedure wouldn't work for that version too (going back from FRG33/83 to FRF91) If you're adventurous, you could try replacing the ROM file detailed in step one of my post (#83) above, by using the VF FRF91 ROM file instead of he FRG33 ROM file. You can get the VF FRF91 ROM file from here;

http://shipped-roms....hipment_ROM.zip

Then follow steps 2-12 in the same way. But I have not tried this for myself so cannot verify if it works.....
View more options
Thanks David. It's not that I necessarily want to go back to the VF firmware, it's just understanding whether this can be done or not for warranty purposes.

I know that the phone will still be under manufacturer from HTC but that's only 12 months, the VF warranty covers the phone whilst in contract (eg. upto 24 months). So this is a consideration in deciding to 'debrand'. If the original state can be restored if necessary then it becomes less of an issue.

Is anyone that's got FRG83 working willing to go back to the VF FRF91 temporarily in order to prove it can be done?
View more options
Oh! 2.2.1 download failed. Press "retry download" and nothng is happening
View more options

Oh! 2.2.1 download failed. Press "retry download" and nothng is happening

I've never heard of this happening. It sounds like you've lost connection to the download server while the download was in progress. Not sure why selecting retry would result in nothing happening either.

Do you have a good signal connection?
Make sure it is solid then check again for an update (Settings>About Phone>System Updates) to force it to look again.
View more options
I have tried to force it. Phone is working fine though, dang! *sob* Have done soft and hard reboots, to see if that works. My phone was downloading all my apps at the time, maybe it got a bit confussed!

View more options