Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

HTC Desire - How to stop receiving texts from "50" with area phone code

bugs31
4: Newbie
I'm hoping someone can help me please as I can't find an answer on google.

I have had my HTC Desire for a couple of weeks but yesterday started to get text messages from the number 50 telling me the area phone code eg. "0118" if I'm in Reading. I normally get 7 of these texts in a row. I can't see any option to stop them and as I travel around areas quite a bit it's getting very annoying.

Any ideas would be great

Thanks
31 REPLIES 31

Even I am facing the same problem from last 10 days.Getting these flash messages with "save" and "cancel" option. I have tried to implement your solution but I dint find "call brodcast option" in side "call". Can you please please help me out. My phone details are as follows

Model : HTC desire XDS

Operating system : Jelly Bean

call service : Airtel

The path that you have provided i.e. Setting/Call , only two options are visible which is as follows

1 Call settings

2. Phone settings

drey_p
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Hi there

I note that your provider is Airtel - are you a Vodafone UK subscriber?  The reason I ask is that the support on this forum is specifically for Vodafone customers and solutions here may not work on other networks.

If you aren't a Vodafone UK subscriber is may be best that you contact your provider for further help and advice.

PWIAC

bugs31
4: Newbie

Hi Bugs 31

I had this problem and could not find a way of getting rid of the area code SMS's. Even rang Vodafone technical Dept. who promised to ring back with an answer but never did.
Perseverance prevailed! and found it under :-
Menu.
Settings.
Call.
Uncheck Cell Broadcast.

Should cure it.

Thank you so much for your post! This has been driving me up the wall! I've unchecked that option now so fingers crossed.

thank you that worked fine

Well done learn more

Retired-George
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi bugs31,

Has metal's solution resolved your issue? I'd suspect it has, as I remember dealing with a similar query for an old Nokia a couple of years ago that drove me mad until I found the cell broadcast setting.

Let us know if you need any further assistance :).

George
eForum Team

AdamBarr
Not applicable

Hi bugs31,

Has metal's solution resolved your issue? I'd suspect it has, as I remember dealing with a similar query for an old Nokia a couple of years ago that drove me mad until I found the cell broadcast setting.

Let us know if you need any further assistance .

George
eForum Team

I have been suffereing from exactly the same issue, usually whilst travelling in the car over a distance which involves moving from one STD phone area to others. A typical 100 mile drive down the M6 results in dozens of SMS Messages displaying STD codes. Furthermore since I installed the latest Android software upgrade a few days ago I was also receiving these annoying messages whilst in remaining in my own STD area.

Followed the instructions supplied above so fingers crossed this works

Hi all,

I received the software update a couple of days ago (some nice features, quite liking it :smileyhappy: ), and pretty much straight away, I started receiving these same dial code messages, however, after following Metal's intructions, it has now fully stopped!  So big thanks to Metal

I also started to receive these text messages following the latest system upgrade. I phoned customer services and they sent me a new sim card. Problems with that left me without a phone for 2 days.

Perhaps somebody should inform customer services

I have an HTC legend and the same problem started a couple days ago (and ive had the phone for over a year) the cell broadcast option seemed to fix it though