main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

High Data Usage

4: Newbie

Hi all,

my Wife's iPhone seems tio chew through her 500mb allowance but i swear she doesnt use much outside of our home WiFi.

is there anyway of drilling down into what apps are using what data? Is there any standard stuff which can chew up data? for exam,ple, she uses gmail on her phone, does that use more than it should in data?

she doesnt have anything else that should use that much, or i would know. Match is set to use only WiFi. She dosnt update apps unless on wifi

shes used 500mbs in 7 days without doing anything untoward like streaming stuff or up or downloading. she simply uses the phone features, email and browsing...

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
16: Advanced member
It could be any number of things from emails with large attachments, to the frequency of the syncing to updates being done on apps in the background. Take a look at the App Store for a data monitoring app. There are a few out there that are free but none that I can think of off the top of my head. Perhaps one of the other members can think of something.

If she regularly goes over, maybe you need to get her an add on data bundle or just turn off data when she is out unless she is checking her emails or browsing the net

PWIAC

View more options
17: Community Champion

Does she use Facebook at all?

Are you able to get a list of Apps on her phone? it might be that an App is sitting in the background downloading a lot of data.

View more options

yes she uses Facebook... maybe thats chewing up data..

View more options

You need to be aware of how the iPhone works with Wi Fi. When the phone is asleep Wi Fi is turned off (unless the phone is connected to a plug) so any data being downloaded at that time will come over the Vodafone network. Also, if the Wi Fi signal fails even for a fraction of a second, the mobile internet will kick in and remain active until the end of that session.

When you are connected to your Wi Fi network you should turn off mobile data in settings - network - mobile data. Only that way will you ensure that Wi Fi is being used and not the Vodafone network.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
2: Seeker
You can go in Settings and find how much data you have been using.

I would look at the intemised bill and see if there are any peaks of usage, say weekends/ nights etc - that may break down where the charges are coming from.
View more options

"When you are connected to your Wi Fi network you should turn off mobile data in settings - network - mobile data. Only that way will you ensure that Wi Fi is being used and not the Vodafone network."

What a ridicuous way to use your phone.

Apple confirmed to me that this was certainly not how the iPhone was designed.  

I can just see Steve Jobs and Jony Ive in their lab right tnow....

"yeah Steve, lets ensure that the WIFI symbol shows up while secretly charging the usage against the customer's puny 3G data allowance The only way to avoid this would be for them to turn mobile data off/on every time they leave the house/office/coffee shop/other wifi point. And we'll bury the mobile data toggle deep in the menu to guarantee that everyone will get sick of this & forget".

View more options
It isn't ridiculous at all. All smartphones should be used in this way for a number of reasons

If the wi fi signal drops even for a fraction of a second mobile data will kick in.

When the iphone sleeps wi fi also goes to sleep unless the phone is plugged in to a charger.

Some apps.might be written to work with.mobile data as a preference.

Turning off mobile data takes any uncertainty out of the equation and is a sensible way to operate a smartphone.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
You think customers should be remembering to enable/disable mobile data every time we move from one location to another? Absolutely laughable.... The Apple Genuis Bar guy just laughed when I explained this to him a few months ago, after he confirmed my iPhone was working ok. He said if Apple had wanted the phone to work in this way they wouldn't have buried the Mobile Data toggle so deep into the menu system.
View more options

Yes I am suggesting exactly that - and the fact that the mobile data on/off toggle is buried in settings is one of the reasons that users prefer Android to iOS. Wi Fi and Bluetooth settings are exactly the same.]

Your choice but if you don't turn mobile data off you will end up using mobile data when you think you are using Wi Fi.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
5: Helper

How often does her email refresh? This could be set too high as if it's grabbing hundreds of emails each time it refreshes, it could possibly be using much more than you expect.

I personally find it easier to use the browser to access web mail, it may be a little fussy but it stops a huge amount of data being used without good reason.

View more options

I would estimate that Facebook is the main culprit here...?

The Facebook App can be set to refresh on a scale of every couple of minutes through to never!

Perhaps changing this option to once an hour, may help?

You can also do this with the email apps as well.

You may also want to look at the Wi-Fi sleep policy? Alot of Apps update between 12 midnight and 4am.

So while the iPhone is in Standby it is actually connected to 3g and not Wi-Fi. Updates can consume a lot of Data.

TimDroid-wink-small.png

View more options

I had this happen to me and a kind man at vodafone shop helped me try a few things and it really helped.

1. turn off any plushing or updates from any app, especially facebook and twitter they really eat up data, this includes email updates. 

2. remind your wife to never download apps on 3g only on wifi.

3. dont watch any youtube videos or iplayer things on 3g only use on wifi.

4. Download a free data app to keep an eye on data used.

Since i have followed all this ive had no problems. 

View more options