Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

LG G2 GPS Repair

krjharrison
3: Seeker

I have had an LG G2 for just over three months and have has erratic gps on all apps since purchasing (strava and endomondo). For the last three weeks it is taking over 15 minutes to detect a signal if it does find one at all.

I have installed multiple apps to check gps performance and each says there are satellites available but none can be contacted, I've also cleared and re downloaded satellite data as recommended by multiple websites. 

Prior to g2 I had an s3 which had no issues connecting on my regular gps routes. So this makes me rule out that reception is the problem. 

Does anyone have any idea if this is a hardware issue with g2? If it is do vodafone have a solution. 

Thanks 

Kris 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @krjharrison,

I'd agree with @hrym that the phone needs to be repaired.

You can take a look at our repair guide to find how to arrange this.

Thanks,

Matt

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's a long shot, but I'd start by uninstalling those apps temporarily.  Also, have you done a firmware update recently?   If so, you may need to do a factory reset (don't forget to back up your content first).  It might be worth trying one anyway, as it would be part of any repair process, so you wouldn't have lost anything.   If you do that, let the phoen run for a bit and, if it's OK, put the apps back one at a time.   If the fault recurs, that's the problem.

Hi,

Not done a firmwear update recently but I had previously uninstalled the Strava app and then tested GPS with a GPS testing app and still really poor satellite detection (if any).

Last night I factory reset my G2 and installed the GPS test app, stood outside for two minutes with a clear view of sky and it stated there should 22 satellites viewable but it could connect to none. I then added Strava and that once again said no GPS could be found.

Pretty frustrating - beginning to think that this is a hardware issue. From google searches it now looks to be a fault with some G2s. 

Thanks,

Kris

hrym

I'd have to agree with that.   I think you need to go down the repair route. :smileysad:

Retired-Matt_B
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @krjharrison,

I'd agree with @hrym that the phone needs to be repaired.

You can take a look at our repair guide to find how to arrange this.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi.

Thanks for the direction will take a look at the repair guide.

Thanks,

Kris 

krjharrison
Hi.

I ended up sending phone off by Vodafone to get repaired. it came back with a repair note to state it was now working.

A couple of weeks ago I came to use the gps for tracking a bike ride and it definately is not working. App was strava and it says no gps available. I have also downloaded GPS Test app and that is also saying no gps connection.

Pretty frustrating as it appears original fault still exists. What are the next steps - could a member of Vodafone tech team help?

Thanks

Kris

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @krjharrison

I’m sorry to hear this.

If it’s still faulty. you’ll need to send the away for repair again so our engineers can look into this further.

Thanks,

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for responding - do Vodafone engineers consider the  android that is running on the phone? If they decide that the hardware is not faulty what are the steps then - I do want to use this function of the phone but I seem stuck with a phone that doesn't do what it should?

I have now tested GPS on other phones alongside mine to ensure that it is not satellites that are issue. All other phones get (iPhone/Xperia z3) get signal in a matter of seconds.

Thanks,

Kris 

Hi @Jenny,

Thank you for responding - do Vodafone engineers consider the  android that is running on the phone? If they decide that the hardware is not faulty what are the steps then - I do want to use this function of the phone but I seem stuck with a phone that doesn't do what it should?

I have now tested GPS on other phones alongside mine to ensure that it is not satellites that are issue. All other phones get (iPhone/Xperia z3) get signal in a matter of seconds.

Thanks,

Kris