Ask

Solution

Mobile Broadband

ianknudsen
Not applicable
Hello,

Please can you help.

Sorry but this is a bit long winded.

I’ve had Vodafone mobile broadband for 2 years now and it’s worked pretty much ok. I use an E220 HSDPA USB MODEM. A couple of months ago, some web sites that I’ve used regularly suddenly stopped working and I was just getting page cannot be displayed. I’ve been using the modem on a Compaq Presario desktop pc core 2 duo, 2 gig ram, Windows Vista Home Premium. I thought it may be a temporary glitch and that things might start working again after a couple of days, but they didn’t.

I’ve completely re-built my Compaq pc and until now have only been using the original drives stored on the modem. I read on the forum of a member having similar problems and the advice was to download the latest drivers.

I downloaded the drivers from

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template1...

I then tried to unzip this file using winzip and just got an unrecoverable error. I’ve re-downloaded the file another couple of times and still get the same error.

As a test, I’ve even tried downgrading my pc to Windows XP, plugged the modem in installed the drivers get connected and just get page cannot be displayed when I go to any web sites. I was originally using IE8 - I downgraded it to IE7 - but still couldn’t display any websites.

I took the sim card out of the modem and put it into my advent laptop with on-board 3G. I’m in a 3G area and can also get 3G+. I can get most web sites, but still have one or two strange problems. I can usually get into Face Book ok, but sometimes can’t display the page to accept a friend request - just hangs and then times out. I can get into MSN and usually open my hotmail, but I can’t get into the weather section - gets half a progress bar and then goes no further. Can get into the Auto Express web site - sometimes it works ok and displays the whole page and sometimes it just displays the left column half of the page. Often with www.techradar.com I get web site cannot be found but then sometimes it works ok. Can only very occasionally get into money supermarket.com.

I’m a computer support engineer by trade with a number of years experience and have also set up mobile broadband for our customers laptops many times.

Not sure what else I can do.

It would be much appreciated if you can offer any advice.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6

Retired-Jon_V
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hi IanK,

You'll find the solution to this problem in our sticky thread here :)

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Jon

eForum Team

ianknudsen
Not applicable
Hi IanK,

You'll find the solution to this problem in our sticky thread here :)

Let me know if you encounter any issues.

Jon

eForum Team

Thanks for the quick reply Jon. I will do this !

ianknudsen
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick reply Jon. I will do this !

Hi,

I've downloaded the latest device software v3.2.1.156 for the E220 modem. I'm unable to extract the software. I've tried unzipping on two different pcs a vista pc and an xp pc. When I try to unzip on the XP pc I right click on the file and click extract all click next then next again and just get a message saying there are no files to extract.

Retired-Reidar
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)
Hello LanK

Indeed you seem to be hitting a stumbling block here, it's strange that the download file won't extract.

I also suspect that you may have a problem with your Windows zip programme, there's an easy way to verify this, simply zip one of your own folders and unzip it again to see if the contents remain intact.

Alternatively you can download Winrar (Google search), another zipping client and very effective indeed. Please have a go at this and let me know how it has gone, :)

Thanks

Reidar :ph34r:

eForum Team

techmind
4: Newbie
Are you downloading the ZIP files via your Vodafone mobile broadband?

There's been an issue with ZIP files getting corrupted on download (almost certainly the meddling of the "optimisation" proxy) which has been the case for a month or three now. The issue is mentioned on other threads, and I've experienced it myself.

This causes the symptoms you describe: the file downloads apparently ok (although the file length is probably a few 100 bytes different in length to the original), but reports an "invalid/corrupt ZIP-file" or error to that effect when you attempt to open/unzip it.

Http is affected, while FTP protocol usually isn't. Otherwise can you download via https, or an https proxy service? Tedious workarounds I agree...

ianknudsen
Not applicable
Are you downloading the ZIP files via your Vodafone mobile broadband?

There's been an issue with ZIP files getting corrupted on download (almost certainly the meddling of the "optimisation" proxy) which has been the case for a month or three now. The issue is mentioned on other threads, and I've experienced it myself.

This causes the symptoms you describe: the file downloads apparently ok (although the file length is probably a few 100 bytes different in length to the original), but reports an "invalid/corrupt ZIP-file" or error to that effect when you attempt to open/unzip it.

Http is affected, while FTP protocol usually isn't. Otherwise can you download via https, or an https proxy service? Tedious workarounds I agree...

Hi,

Thanks for your advice - you’re right - and I did notice this and wondered about it. The file that I downloaded to update the software on my E220 modem should have been 17.8mb, but when I had a look at the properties of the downloaded file it was only 17.4mb - downloaded over 3G mobile broadband.

I will try to get the file downloaded through the proxy at work.

I don’t really have much of a need to download zip files, so it doesn’t really bother me too much, but I guess it will be annoying for some mobile broadband users.