main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

My Vodafone app doesn't work following Nougat upgrade

17: Community Champion

@aadshead wrote:
Have you withheld iOS 10 compatibility until all devices have iOS 10 installed.

There's a difference between iOS and Android.   All iOS updates are provided by Apple directly, so devices get them at the same time (allowing for rolling out).   There is no network branding on Apple devices, but there is on Android (on top of manufacturer branding).   For this reason, the appearance of new versions is much slower and only Google devices get updates immediately.   It's also looking as though Google may not allow network branding on its own devices (which is, imho, sensible).

I'm pretty sure there'll be Nougat compatibility on the My Vodafone app as soon as the network has Nougat enabled devices for sale (or coming up for sale).   For the reasons outlined above, that hasn't happened yet.   It may be a pain for Nexus and Pixel owners, but the app will be finally tested with the manufacturer and Vodafone branded versions of the OS and it's fair to assume that isn't ready yet, not least because it's only just coming from manufacturers (at the time of writing, I think there may be only one LG phone that has it at all).

View more options
4: Newbie
Thanks, but I don't think great justification for MyVodafone not working. I'm very familiar with the differences between iOS and Android.

Vodafone also sells sim only deals so it would be nice if they provided support for these customers.

I have 122 apps installed on my Android 7 phone and MyVodafone is the only one that doesn't work 😕
View more options
3: Seeker
Agreed. Pathetic by Vodafone, such a disjointed firm!!
View more options
8: Helper
I have 200+ apps and Voda is the only one that doesn't work. It's flabbergasting that some people see the need to justify why the necessary hasn't been done by Vodafone to ensure that their app was ready for Android 7.0.

The difference between iOS and Android really has nothing to do with it, neither does the fragmentation of the OS.

Google allowed anybody with the necessary device access to Nougat months in advance of it becoming publicly available. If there was a conscious decision by Voda not to prepare for the inevitable, and leave (tens/hundreds?) of thousands without access to the app, then that sucks. I honestly struggle to see how anyone can have a different opinion.

Not the end of the world, but come on, it's a pretty poor show from a mobile telco!

A simple 'sorry, we dropped the ball, but we're working on it' would be much better received compared to some of the shallow excuses given so far. Even if a timescale can't be shared.
View more options

Yes. App update on 27 October 2016 and still not working on either Nexus 5X running 7.0 or Pixel with 7.1. Considering that Carphone Warehouse are selling the Pixel with a Vodafone plan, one might have thought that a functioning Vodafone app would have been developed for it.

Coincidentally, I received an SMS from Vodafone today stating "time is running out to enter The Big Prize Grab with the My Vodafone app."

Well played Vodafone.

View more options
Confirmed. The newly updated app still NOT working on Google Pixel... Neither does Wi-fi with Virgin on London Underground
View more options
17: Community Champion

@aadshead wrote:
Vodafone also sells sim only deals so it would be nice if they provided support for these customers.

And they don't offer support for phones they don't sell.  That's not to say they won't work but, if you have issues, you may need to sort them out with the manufacturer.

It's not unreasonable that a network app would only be expected to provide full functionality with network branded firmware - ie Nougat compatibility will come once the network starts selling devices with it installed.   It's not a universal app that you'd expect to work anywhere anytime (though even some of those take a while to catch up with OS updates).

There are all kinds of advantages to buying phones SIM-free (and therefore unbranded), but there are also some downsides.   You have to balance them.

View more options
Dear hrym,

The way I see it is a matter of full and transparent disclosure of the services offered by the carrier to customers.

Lack of support of My Vodafone app results in my phone not being correctly identified by the Virgin Media Wi-fi service on London Underground and so me being unable to use the Wi-fi. Vodafone widely advertises this service for all customers, on both phone and sim only plans: it doesn't say that the Wi-fi service is only offered to Sim only customers with certain versions of Android installed on their phones.

As far as I'm concerned, Wi-fi in the Underground was a determining factor of my decision to use Vodafone rather than a cheaper carrier - say Lebara or Giff gaff - that doesn't offer this service.

So, as far as I'm concerned, Vodafone provides misleading information about the services offered. In the absence of full and correct information, how am I supposed to balance upsides and downsides of going Sim free, as you say?

Thanks
View more options

@hrym wrote:

@aadshead wrote:

And they don't offer support for phones they don't sell. 

*sigh*

Vodafone directly sold both the Nexus 6 and the Nexus 6p. Both now have official Android 7.0 builds pushed out to them.

Even so, 'not offering support for phones they don't sell' is an utterly shoddy stance to take anyway (as far as the app is concerned).

@hrym wrote:

That's not to say they won't work

They don't work. I think we've established that already haven't we?

@hrym wrote:

It's not unreasonable that a network app would only be expected to provide full functionality with network branded firmware.

I beg to differ. If you can't expect one of the largest *mobile* network operators in the country to ready their *mobile* app for a major OS upgrade, then who can you expect to do it?

None of the developers for any of the other 200+ apps I have installed seem to have struggled. Even if they had, I'd be far more forgiving on most of them because they're not major corporates/*mobile* network operators.

@hrym wrote:

Nougat compatibility will come once the network starts selling devices with it installed.

You sound very confident about that, so in the absence of any firm commitment from Vodafone, let's hope it does.

@hrym wrote:

It's not a universal app that you'd expect to work anywhere anytime.

Then Vodafone can stop sending me emails etc. promoting competitions that rely exclusively on having the app installed (and it working).

@hrym wrote:

There are all kinds of advantages to buying phones SIM-free (and therefore unbranded), but there are also some downsides.   You have to balance them.

This is not the consumers fault/responsibility. It is entirely Vodafone's.

View more options
Highlighted
Agree Vodafone are one disjointed firm, advertising stuff that clearly doesn't work "got you connected" like hell they have, totally 2 bob
View more options
12: Established

The advice given in this thread is woeful to hillarious. Reset your phone, whilst removing the sim and sd card

The app doesn't work on android 7.0. it is literally the only app i have that doesn't work. What's worse is it just says to try again later, not that it will never work.

The idea that vodafone doesn't 'support' android 7 is ridiculous. Are you telling me that if i took my Nexus 9, Pixel C in to a vodafone store and asked for a data sim they would say no, sorry vodafone doesn't support android 7?

I'm wondering what it's like in the department that develops the app. Do you think they have notice that the app doesn't work on 7.0, have they noticed that it's getting 100's of 1 star reviews because of it? That they're not working on it because vodafone don't support it? that they'll start when and only when the S7 get Nougat. It's absurd.

Pull your finger out Vod.

My brain training puzzle site - It's good go look

View more options

Whilst I appreciate that this is very much a ‘first world problem’, I struggle to think of any excuses for its occurrence or the lack of transparency on the subject.

Some years ago, Sky Go failed after just about every OS upgrade.  But, at least it listed device compatibility on Google Play, and posted reasonable information on the subject on its website, including projected timescales for resolution and an option to receive email updates.  (And, I’ve experienced no issues at all with the advent of 6.0 and above, 7.0 or 7.1.)

Compare that with the Vodafone approach, where I can’t imagine that anyone got to this thread without wasting time and effort in one or more of attempting cache and data clearing, uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting etc. etc.

Google suggests to app developers that by “excluding devices with known compatibility issues, you can help to provide a better experience for your users”.  Meanwhile Google Play informs me that “This app is compatible with all of your devices”, which it patently isn’t

At the moment, Vodafone seems content to continue to add to its 7,000+ one star ratings for this app and the web page at www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/apps/my-vodafone-app states nothing at all about the Android 7.0/7.1 compatibility problem.

Regardless of how complex this is for Vodafone to fix, or how long it might take, there seems to me to be complete indifference towards customers, and for me that’s the crux of it all.

View more options
Speaking of. Just got this text.:

We're aware of an issue impacting customers' use of the MyVodafone App with smartphones running Android N (Nougat). We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working hard to get this fixed. In the meantime you can access your account at www.vodafone.co.uk/myaccount

View more options
Just received this text message from Vodafone:

"We're aware of an issue impacting customers' use of the MyVodafone App with smartphones running Android N (Nougat). We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working hard to get this fixed. In the meantime you can access your account at www.vodafone.co.uk/myaccount"

Thank you for the update and taking responsibility for once. Fingers crossed it gets sorted now instead of hiding behind the "waiting for the majority of customers to get Nougat" wall.
View more options
Maybe our calls to arms has worked, as I said not world peace and defo a 1st world problem but blimey what a bunch of amateurs at Vodafone. Have a mate who works for a firm that Vodafone have outsourced some work to, apparently in-house systems are being held together with band aids and chewing gum, no surprises there ....
View more options
I think that's the problem.

There is a lack of communication from Vodafone's front line staff and the technical team. Sarah may be called "the technical team", but she is almost certainly front line staff. She probably didn't realise the impact the the broken app was having on the customers and didn't relay the problem correctly to the technical team.

Not her fault, we all know the problems Vodafone are having. They have TERRIBLE customer service due to their teams being so disjointed. Feel sorry for the front line staff. The reason they are so rubbish is because morale is so low at Vodafone at the moment, and they have a lack of clear direction from management. Their internal communications team has a lot to answer to as well.

Things won't be fixed anytime soon. They need a huge restructure internally. They've had this problem for 18months and only started doing something about it in the past 12months. I feat we're still another 18months away before they get to the standards we expect of them.
View more options
Good work on the mass text Vodafone. That's much more like it!
View more options

I imagine that many of us would consider an active step to communicate with customers about this issue to be commendable.

What takes the gloss off it somewhat for me, is that that my Nexus 5X has been affected for about three weeks, and I’ve had a Vodafone SIM in a Pixel for eight days.

Now that Vodafone have demonstrated the ability to communicate with relevant smartphone owners, it remains to be seen whether there will be regular information and updates on the subject.

I’d suggest that right now, it’s a case that the stable door’s shut.  Now where’s that horse?

View more options
4: Newbie

Sorry, hyrm, but with the greatest respect this is a ridiculous position to take.

Vodafone are a mobile network provider. As Vodafone are quick to remind us, when you take a contract out, you are contracting for a connection, not for a device. This app lets you access your account which is what customers are measured on with regards to the contract.

The app is a way for customers to manage their usage under the contract. It should be available for all customers, especially those who use the two most popular mobile operating systems out in the market. It is not about what devices, it is about supporting customers. 

The reason that Vodafone are losing traction in the market is due to poor network coverage (which they are trying to fix, commendably) and also due to customer service issues, widely reported the media. 

Vodafone can take the position of "we'll only support what we want" but in fact the updates to the app are not that complex for an android developer to fix, especially with about 6 months of beta to test on.

It's the latest operating system. iOS is supported quickly, as should android be, unless Vodafone want to lose more customers for issues that really are small and easily fixed. 

View more options
@smids
It would of course be ridiculous for Vodafone to say that they don't support nougat. But I don't think they ever did. It was more people on the forum who were speaking on behalf of, people who think they're defending Vodafone by saying these ridiculous things, that did.

But you're right. The beta version of of nougat has been out for at least 6 months. I can't imagine there are any app developers, save the ones at Vodafone, that didn't test their app. If you're looking for a corporate culture issue it's this. Nobody could care less.

And as has been suggested for everyone that is here and has identified the problem there's another 100 who are stumbling and wasting their time.

And I want my entry in to that S7 competition.

View more options