Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

My Vodafone app doesn't work following Nougat upgrade

aadshead
4: Newbie
I've just upgraded my Nexus 5X to Android 7 Nougat and since the upgrade I can't get the My Vodafone app to work.

I get a couple of seconds of splash screen then a page with a message saying "We're having a few technical difficulties at the moment. We're working hard to get things sorted." Underneath is a big 'retry' button.

I've tried clearing cache, resetting the app and uninstall/reinstall but none of these change anything.

Any similar experiences
81 REPLIES 81

PW80805
3: Seeker
Agree Vodafone are one disjointed firm, advertising stuff that clearly doesn't work "got you connected" like hell they have, totally 2 bob

The advice given in this thread is woeful to hillarious. Reset your phone, whilst removing the sim and sd card :Winking_smiley:

The app doesn't work on android 7.0. it is literally the only app i have that doesn't work. What's worse is it just says to try again later, not that it will never work.

The idea that vodafone doesn't 'support' android 7 is ridiculous. Are you telling me that if i took my Nexus 9, Pixel C in to a vodafone store and asked for a data sim they would say no, sorry vodafone doesn't support android 7?

I'm wondering what it's like in the department that develops the app. Do you think they have notice that the app doesn't work on 7.0, have they noticed that it's getting 100's of 1 star reviews because of it? That they're not working on it because vodafone don't support it? that they'll start when and only when the S7 get Nougat. It's absurd.

Pull your finger out Vod.

Whilst I appreciate that this is very much a ‘first world problem’, I struggle to think of any excuses for its occurrence or the lack of transparency on the subject.

Some years ago, Sky Go failed after just about every OS upgrade.  But, at least it listed device compatibility on Google Play, and posted reasonable information on the subject on its website, including projected timescales for resolution and an option to receive email updates.  (And, I’ve experienced no issues at all with the advent of 6.0 and above, 7.0 or 7.1.)

Compare that with the Vodafone approach, where I can’t imagine that anyone got to this thread without wasting time and effort in one or more of attempting cache and data clearing, uninstalling and reinstalling, rebooting etc. etc.

Google suggests to app developers that by “excluding devices with known compatibility issues, you can help to provide a better experience for your users”.  Meanwhile Google Play informs me that “This app is compatible with all of your devices”, which it patently isn’t

At the moment, Vodafone seems content to continue to add to its 7,000+ one star ratings for this app and the web page at www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/apps/my-vodafone-app states nothing at all about the Android 7.0/7.1 compatibility problem.

Regardless of how complex this is for Vodafone to fix, or how long it might take, there seems to me to be complete indifference towards customers, and for me that’s the crux of it all.

flagpole
12: Established
Speaking of. Just got this text.:

We're aware of an issue impacting customers' use of the MyVodafone App with smartphones running Android N (Nougat). We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working hard to get this fixed. In the meantime you can access your account at www.vodafone.co.uk/myaccount

RaminNoodles86
Just received this text message from Vodafone:

"We're aware of an issue impacting customers' use of the MyVodafone App with smartphones running Android N (Nougat). We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working hard to get this fixed. In the meantime you can access your account at www.vodafone.co.uk/myaccount"

Thank you for the update and taking responsibility for once. Fingers crossed it gets sorted now instead of hiding behind the "waiting for the majority of customers to get Nougat" wall.

PW80805
Maybe our calls to arms has worked, as I said not world peace and defo a 1st world problem but blimey what a bunch of amateurs at Vodafone. Have a mate who works for a firm that Vodafone have outsourced some work to, apparently in-house systems are being held together with band aids and chewing gum, no surprises there ....

RaminNoodles86
I think that's the problem.

There is a lack of communication from Vodafone's front line staff and the technical team. Sarah may be called "the technical team", but she is almost certainly front line staff. She probably didn't realise the impact the the broken app was having on the customers and didn't relay the problem correctly to the technical team.

Not her fault, we all know the problems Vodafone are having. They have TERRIBLE customer service due to their teams being so disjointed. Feel sorry for the front line staff. The reason they are so rubbish is because morale is so low at Vodafone at the moment, and they have a lack of clear direction from management. Their internal communications team has a lot to answer to as well.

Things won't be fixed anytime soon. They need a huge restructure internally. They've had this problem for 18months and only started doing something about it in the past 12months. I feat we're still another 18months away before they get to the standards we expect of them.

bobpullen
8: Helper
8: Helper
Good work on the mass text Vodafone. That's much more like it!

I imagine that many of us would consider an active step to communicate with customers about this issue to be commendable.

What takes the gloss off it somewhat for me, is that that my Nexus 5X has been affected for about three weeks, and I’ve had a Vodafone SIM in a Pixel for eight days.

Now that Vodafone have demonstrated the ability to communicate with relevant smartphone owners, it remains to be seen whether there will be regular information and updates on the subject.

I’d suggest that right now, it’s a case that the stable door’s shut.  Now where’s that horse?

flagpole
@smids
It would of course be ridiculous for Vodafone to say that they don't support nougat. But I don't think they ever did. It was more people on the forum who were speaking on behalf of, people who think they're defending Vodafone by saying these ridiculous things, that did.

But you're right. The beta version of of nougat has been out for at least 6 months. I can't imagine there are any app developers, save the ones at Vodafone, that didn't test their app. If you're looking for a corporate culture issue it's this. Nobody could care less.

And as has been suggested for everyone that is here and has identified the problem there's another 100 who are stumbling and wasting their time.

And I want my entry in to that S7 competition.