Solution

Netflix problem every 4min

tman101
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Ising latest Android netflix client from play store 
got stable connection 4g etc

been using it for 1 year no problems but starting issues on 24th June 2017
perfect picture but after approx 4 min it always stops video and circle red ring spinning in middle and does not go. I have to back out and continue to watch.  happens all time now on all videos only when on 4G. 

I have 4gb free on device storage

32 REPLIES 32

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Lindonl @pmitche1 Please uninstall and reinstall the Netflix app to see if this improves things for you.

If you continue to have issues, please speak with Netflix directly to complete any necessary troubleshooting steps with them.

Thanks Natasha for your interest but I have of course tried this. And Netflix says it's a Vodafone issue - and to ask Voda. 

Neither company wants to sort the problem or talk to each other? Would it not make sense to try yourself watching Netflix on your phone and see if there's a problem and then let us all know if you also experience the hanging at 2 minutes 40 seconds problem? Then you could ralk to Voda as an insider and see if they help you resolve it? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm resurrecting this as it's the only info I found regarding this problem on the internet!! I have a similar problem, for me Netflix speed is throttled on 4g Vodafone to 1.1mb/s. Every other site loads or streams at a constant 20mb/s. I have observed the same results in a 4g router and when sim used in iPhone. Speedtest.net always 20mb/s but fast.com (Netflix speed tester) 1.1mb/s regardless of device or browser. This would strongly indicate that Vodafone are throttling Netflix speed. I'm just amazed this problem isn't more widely reported?! At this throttled speed, it's impossible to stream Netflix in HD when on 4g Vodafone. BTW, three 4g works flawlessly in phone and 4g router for Netflix. I've been through technical help with Vodafone who referred me to Netflix and Netflix who referred me to Vodafone. I will be canceling and sticking with three (only swayed to Vodafone for included YouTube!). Just wanted to post this for others to also check and be informed. 

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion

I watch Netflix a lot on my phone and on a fast commuter train from London to Essex. I never encounter any throttling problems and I don't believe that such a policy exists. Indeed Vodafone is now selling a 'Pass' that gives unlimited access to Netflix. Hardly the action of a network that tries to restrict access to the streaming service.

Whatever your issue is, it's either signal or account related. Good luck in solving the problem.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

I purchased the pass which works fine with sites such as YouTube. My problem is that Vodafone insist it is a fault with Netflix so will not help me. Using my three sim, speed is unrestricted so I presume fault is with Vodafone. It's a shame because I would like to use the service. Anyone else have significantly slower speeds testing fast.com?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also want to add I have a full 4g signal. Other sites fine so don't think the sim is faulty. Maybe people on the video pass are being restricted?

jeffkinn

Very weird and very unhelpful of them. I've just tested it again on my phone. I'm at home and with a full 3G signal on a Sure Signal (connected to BT Infinity for those people who don;t believe that a SS works with BT) and getting a download speed of 11.55 mps. Netflix works perfectly - no lag and programmes load very quickly and play without any lag or buffering.

Could you try your sim in a different phone and see if the same thing happens, or someone else's sim in yours? 

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried the sim in my router and two phones, exactly the same results. Three sim in these devices works perfectly. The only thing not tried yet is trying the sim in a different area, which I'll try later. Could be the local mast but unlikely as other sites fine 

JohnJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Anonymous Please let us know how you get on 🙂 

Anonymous
Not applicable

No joy I'm afraid. Tried in different phones and locations, same result. Would be grateful if someone could also compare their speeds on Speedtest.net vs fast.com (Netflix test).  I get 20-25mbps on speedtest and 1-2 mbps on fast.com/Netflix. Impossible to stream Netflix in HD :((