main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Nexus One latest 'Gingerbread' Android update - DON'T DO IT!

2: Seeker

Allowed the latest software update to my Nexux One about a week ago and now all sorts of problems - 3G signal now very poor, in fact most of the time cannot get 3G at all (only since the update); and also something is drawing down my 1Gb monthly data allowance - now Im not browsing!! Recent Voda text last night said I was about 97% all used up for the month which is ridiculous!!

Tried speaking to tech team (in CAIRO - phoned 6 times and each time I lost phone connection even when using a landline), when I did get through on the 7th attempt the person said they had not even HEARD of a Google Nexus One phone! WHY oh WHY Voda have you now route most Level 1 and Level 2 Tech Support calls to Cairo - shame and a very backward step in my opinion. at least Voda should employ people able to answer our technical questions.

Finally someone else on TS said "sounds like a software issue sir" - YEH, it sure is. My smart phone is now anything but smart. I think I still have an old Nokia from about 15 years ago - at least that was reliable.

Voda (through Google and HTC) will need to come up with a fix pretty quickly, otherwise my 22 years with Vodafone is about to end !!  Very unhappy.

DF

CEO of a charity

View more options
11 REPLIES
6: Helper
Nightmare... Have you tried "google" .. Can you do a reverse update or revert back to previous OS... I always wait a few months with OS updates as they are often flawed.. I'm sure you could flash an old OS though... Try a local phone repairer.. Not the best fix but at least it should be a "working" phone again.. Good Luck 

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dfarndale and welcome to the eForum

Thanks for your post here. I’m sorry to hear about the problems you have been having since the update.

First of all, can you tell me your full postcode and we’ll just double check that that signal problems are not network related.

Secondly, can you confirm that you have performed a master reset on your device just to check the handset?

If this doesn’t resolve matters can you tell me your full firmware version and as soon as we have a few examples of the same issue, we’ll be happy to get this fed back.

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Want to give feedback about me?

You can do so here

View more options
1: Seeker

Completely agree! Don't do it! Although Gingerbread is amazing it all of its under the bonnet tweaks (like more battery life) it is not worth it for the fail that is the new keyboard/dictionary system. If you really want gingerbread and don't mind loosing all the data on your phone, update using the vodafone OTA update then download a stock Google 2.3.4 ROM from the address below, rename it update.zip and put it in the root directory of your SD card folder. Turn your phone off. When you turn it on, turn it on by holding down the volume minus and power button at the same time. Select bootloader using the volume rocker for up/down and the power button for select. Once your in bootloader and it has failed at updating automatically, select update, then select the update.zip on your SD card. DOING THIS WILL WIPE ALL DATA FROM YOUR PHONE but you will get a stable, non-vodafone branded release of Gingerbread for the Google Nexus One

http://shipped-roms.com/download.php?&model=Passion%20(Nexus%20One)&file=PASSIMG_Passion_Google_WWE_...

^^that is the link to download the ROM^^

I hope I've helped at least one person on this pointless and timewasting effort on the part of vodafone.

**After thought, if you can't be bothered to do that or you don't want to loose your data, buy and download a "smart" keyboard app from the market place. They are between £1.50 and £2.50 for the good one's. I know it's paying for something that should already

work, but its easier and quicker than the first option.

Sorry just another quick after thought...

Factory reset/playing with the settings/ reloading the voda ROM does not work. It is a problem with the release that vodafone engineers have messed around with. The only things different between the stock and the vodafone release (that I can tell) are more useless peices of software to get you to spend money with vodafone (this software takes up more memory than stock ROM) and that they have messed up some of the key features such as keyboard, GPS and other basic functions. 

View more options
Ok Vodafone. My research tells me there are a lot of people with this issue. http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=6bda468f71a58bfd&hl=en This so called upgrade has rendered faulty all the features I use every day: Delay when answering calls. No one can hear me for the first couple of seconds. Complete loss of dictionary/predictive text (except contact names and user-defined dictionary) Complete loss of auto-replace when typing (though frankly with the ridiculous dictionary I now have, there's a limit to how useful it would even be now) Smiley button doesn't allow you to release and select. You now have to hold and drag. Ridiculously short battery life. Yes it's even worse than it was before. There's not much 'smart' about it I can tell you. Sort it out please. I am seriously fed up with it. My Nokia 6310 worked better than this. How long do we have to wait for a fix? I am not prepared to lose all my data.
View more options
4: Newbie

In case Vodafone customer support have any doubt about where the problem lies, here's a quote from the thread linked above:

Best answer - Ry Guy (Google Employee) Hey all, Thanks for your patience as we looked into this situation. For those of you that haven't already done so, please raise this issue with Vodafone's support teams. Nexus Ones that were purchased through Vodafone have their own specific build that is sent via OTA (hence this problem not existing on most devices). As this is the case, the best way to get this resolved is by letting Vodafone know about this so they can figure out a potential solution. -Ry Guy

View more options
12: Established
@a_sexy_geek: your instructions are completely wrong
View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hey guys,

I'm currently in the process of collating information for those of you that have been experiencing issues since the update to 2.3.4.

Please could you post the requested information in this thread?

Kindest regards,

Lee

eForum Team

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Good morning everyone.

So far I've only had one response to the request for information in this thread.

I really want to help with this but without your help, I cannot help you.

I'd really appreciate it if any affected users could update the linked thread with the requested information so we can move the fix towards a resolution.

Kindest regards,

Lee

eForum Team

View more options

Hi Wayne

My postcode is SO50 8AL but the poor 3G signals are experienced almost everywhere I go. If you check other Android Forums you will see that lots of other people are experiencing the same problem  - much worse 3G signal since the gingerbread update.

I read that a master reset is not going to do anything? What do you say...?

Software is 2.3.4  build GRJ22

I am also having problems with my phone not reliably syncing with my Google calendar - if I enter an event on my phine, it shows up on my Google calendar on my laptop, but the reverse rarely works.

I need these problems fixed within DAYS otherwise its goodbye to Vodafone after 22 years a customer.

View more options

Quite agree - masses of problems AND worse battery life. Let's test Vodafone's integrity with these issues, or are they just going to demonstrate that they are just a money-grabbing machine like so many other large firms today. Where has good customer service gone? Now they even route our Tech Support calls outside the UK with poor call reception, hard to understand accents, etc etc etc.

VERY UNHAPPY BUSINESS CUSTOMER

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi dfarndale

Thanks for getting back to us with your post code.

I have checked the local cell site and this is running as it should be.

On the post that Lee has linked, has confirmed that we have raised this issue with our technical teams to investigate. As soon as we get any new information we will post on that thread.

Thanks

Martin

eForum Team

View more options