main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Nexus one predictive text not working

DDC 2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am using the HTC Google Nexus One and recently got a system update to Android 2.3.4 from 2.2 (the default OS on the phone, when I purchased it). However after the update I noticed that the predictive text is not working at all. It is extremely frustrating and am looking all around for some help to resolve this issue. Desperately need some assistance.

View more options
31 REPLIES
Moderator (Retired)

Good evening DDC,

Many thanks for your post about predictive text on your Google Nexus One.

Tell me; did you factory reset the device after the update?

If not, could you give that a go for me and let me know how you get on? Details of how to do this can be found in our Nexus One Help Centre

Cheers,

Lee

eForum Team

View more options

Yep, having exactly the same problem. If I do a factory reset on my phone, though, won't I lose all of the settings? It's a ball-ache having to set everything up again!!!

View more options

Same here, cant see any way of getting it back, not keen on a factory reset

View more options

I am having the same problem...no predictive text!

factory reset is not a viable option

I eagerly await a more sensible solution!

View more options
I am having the same problem, very annoying. Anyone found a fix yet? The only things that appear in predictive texts are people's names from my contacts.
View more options
17: Community Champion

Has anybody tried a 'clear data' on the keyboard app?

It shows as 'Android Keyboard' under the manage applications menu.

View more options
Highlighted

Factory reset didnt work...

View more options
4: Newbie

Hi folks, I'm afraid we are all in the same s...ituation :robotmad:

I spoke to the helpdesk on two different occasions this morning 23rd July and the only thing they told me was to deactivate and reactivate the predictive text function. Of course I had already tried it on my own and it did not work. The only suggestions I get when typing a text are from either my phone book or my custom dictionary. 

By the way, I normally use both English and Italian and switch between them by sliding the space bar: now both dictionaries are no longer available, which proves that the issue is with the standard dictionary itself rather than with one particular language.

The last suggestion from Vodafone is to visit one of their stores which is exactly what I need on a Saturday morning. Has anyone tried that route?

I will keep you updated.

Cheers

Fab

View more options
At leasr the issue is not related to the Vodafone version of Gingerbread: http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=6bda468f71a58bfd&hl=en&start=40
View more options
I am getting more and more cheesed off with Vodafone AND Android AND HTC AND Phones4U
Take your pic!
My Nexus One mic became unreliable a couple of months ago and nobody wants to sort it!
Now this Android "upgrade" has lost me predictive text!
Gradually my phone is becoming useless!
View more options

At least in this case Vodafone is not to blame, although they should have not distributed an update with such a major flaw. The issue is with the new Google OS itself which simply has not been tested enough on the Nexus One, especially as far as predictive test is concerned.

Anyway, I've managed to fix the dictionary problem in about 15 minutes and only £ 2.14 : I have dowloaded an excellent keyboard application from the Android Market that is far better than the previous one anyway. It's a "smart" one, if you know what I mean ;-) Ok, as a matter of principle I should have not been willing to pay for fixing something that used to work fine in first place... but who cares!

Good luck if you want to wait!

View more options
12: Established
It's not Google's fault, I used their GB on my Nexus One without any dictionary problems at all, and it has been in testing for months and months.
View more options

Lee,

Reading in the wider 'Google' community this problem is impacting on a lot of users and should be escalated by Vodafone to Google urgently - the problem makes the handset a very disappointing experience.

Factory reset - does not work

Turning on and off predictive - does not work

Changing the language - does not work

From a configuration point of view there is nothing left to do. This will need an update.

Thomas

View more options

This bug has been reported to Google

The offical recommendation is to try a keyboard app from the market,  there are pleanty of free ones out there.

So much for Vodafone delaying OTA's for testing!

All the best

MM

Rooting using the boot loader sounds fun

Miss Sold by Vodafone let down by Vodafone
View more options
17: Community Champion

@RustyU wrote:
It's not Google's fault, I used their GB on my Nexus One without any dictionary problems at all, and it has been in testing for months and months.

Must second RustyU on this one, been using Google's GB for months and never had an issue. This is something that has changed in the VF/HTC build.

View more options

I like yer style and suggestion re the Android Market keyboard

Would you mind being a little more specific as I cant find one amongs many that costs the amount that you paid!

Cheers

View more options

this sucks big time... why should we have to buy or use a free app to get predictive text...

i hope a fix is sorted out soon by who ever needs to do this.. May go back to Nokia soon :smileymad:

View more options
12: Established
Move to the Google build, it's free and doesn't have the problem.
View more options
where do i find that rusty?
View more options