main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

No Sim card with new phone

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

Hi,

I'm posting this on behalf of my elderly parent who has just (after 4 weeks of waiting and multiple lengthy phone calls) received a new Sony Xperia M2.

The phone finally arrived today... without a sim card.

The previous phone is rather old and the sim card will not fit the Sony.
Is it not standard practise to send a new card out with phones?

Particularly when you can see from your records that the account holder hasn't upgraded in years?

I tried to speak to one of your customer advisors earlier, but he wouldn't talk to me without the permission of the account holder.
Fair enough if we'd wanted to change anything to do with the account, but all we want is a new Sim.
Do I now have to spend another hour on the phone to order a card?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

Hi Andy. I'd say the best way around this would be:

• You wouldn't be able to order anything on the account without permission of the account holder
  • Would it be possible for you and your mum to call Vodafone directly together? This way she can then confirm the details and also ask for them to add you onto her account to act on her behalf in future
  • Once this is confirmed you'll be able to pick up future conversations with Vodafone
  • As part of the same call you can request a new SIM card (for the Sony Xperia M2 this would need a Micro SIM rather than a regular SIM)
  • I'd say a call in this instance would be best as the only way to get in touch online is through Live Chat which, if your mum can't do herself, would mean you're in the same position with not being the account holder.

(also, just to add, this is a public forum with customers offering advice to other customers, drey_p's comments above  aren't from a Vodafone member of staff so he couldn't send out the SIM )

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
16: Advanced member

Hi there

The quickest way to get a new SIM card would be to pop into a Vodafone store.  If you go with the account holder, the store staff will be able to provide you with the correct sized SIM and activate it for you.  If you continue to call, the account holder will need to speak to Vodafone - they won't be able to discuss anything with you as you aren't the account holder.

PWIAC

View more options

As I mentioned, I'm posting on behalf of an elderly parent.

The nearest Vodafone store is too far for her to travel.

Could you not just post her a new sim card (which should have been included in the first place) ?

View more options

Hi Andy. I'd say the best way around this would be:

• You wouldn't be able to order anything on the account without permission of the account holder
  • Would it be possible for you and your mum to call Vodafone directly together? This way she can then confirm the details and also ask for them to add you onto her account to act on her behalf in future
  • Once this is confirmed you'll be able to pick up future conversations with Vodafone
  • As part of the same call you can request a new SIM card (for the Sony Xperia M2 this would need a Micro SIM rather than a regular SIM)
  • I'd say a call in this instance would be best as the only way to get in touch online is through Live Chat which, if your mum can't do herself, would mean you're in the same position with not being the account holder.

(also, just to add, this is a public forum with customers offering advice to other customers, drey_p's comments above  aren't from a Vodafone member of staff so he couldn't send out the SIM )

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

View more options

Ah right, I didnt check who posted the reply.

I guess we'll have to phone you, but last time I rang I was queing for half an hour, then passed around departments.
Total time spent on that call trying to get the phone delivered was 1 hour 15 minutes.

This whole experience has been awful.

The phone was ordered a month ago, we made several calls and were promised each time that it would be delivered "within days", only to find on the last occasion that I rang you that the order couldn't be found and a new order had to be processed.

Then, 4 weeks later, the phone arrived with no Sim card, so now I have to spend another hour on the phone to you.

Sigh.

View more options

Personally, I'd try Live Chat.   Ordering a SIM should be a simple process, so I can't understand why you'd have had so much trouble.   It would also be worth taking up Redpage's suggestion of getting yourself authorised on your mother's account so that you can deal with queries on her behalf in future. 

And, no, SIMs aren't normally sent out with devices, but personally, I always ask for one just to make sure mine's up to date.

Edited to add: If you're near a Vodafone shop yourself, see if they can give you a SIM.  I'm not sure that any account access if required to do that.  You can activate it online via the My Vodafone link in the red banner above or Live Chat can do it for you.

View more options