main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Nokia C6-00 My191 App where did it come from

14: Advanced member

Has anyone else found it on there phone when it was not there previously? (before anyone asks how do i know, I only keep applications i will use, also the last app beforehand was my commodore64 emulator) 

I didn't authorise it to install. and unless it has more benefit than "coming soon"

So what do i do with it and why was it remotely installed? 

I have disabled 360 updates already and other unwanted things which go online 

keep it or kill it? you tell me 

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

View more options
25 REPLIES 25
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hooker1uk

Thanks for your post here

My191 is an app that makes it easier to manage your account, without having to speak to an adviser. With My191 you can :-

• View bill and usage information – view your last three bills, spend since last bill
  • Link into ADCC (Automated debit credit card IVR), where you can make a card payment
  • Check settings for WAP, MMS and SMS if these are not enabled My191 will check and fix
  • Check when you can next upgrade
  • Change or set up a direct debit
  • Update personal details e.g. billing address and email address
  • Get answers to frequently asked questions
  • Make a secure payment

Call 191 and the application will launch, so give it a go

Please let me know if you have any more questions and we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

View more options

Hiya wayne.

As i did not install it I want to know who authorised it to install on my device? (it was not there one day, and there the other day) 

this is how i see the app.  (currently useless in it's state)

My191 

Coming Soon - MY191 is a free to use ,

secure application that lets you stay in

control of your account. For more

information, please dial 191 to speak to

our Customer Services team. 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hooker1uk

I am sorry to see that you don't want to use My191, it does look like a good app and there to make your life easier.

This is something that is been rolled out to improve service, I am sorry to say that this is something that cannot be removed.

Martin

eForum Team

View more options
2: Seeker

I appreciate that the moderator beleives what he has said is true but I can prove it is not.

My191 being installed on my phone without my permission cost me £1.50 one month and £3.50 the second month.

These charges were refunded by vodafone on investigation.

It will only not cost you money if you have a plan including wap time, then it will cost you some of your allowance.

I had the internet disabled to prevent my191 from connecting, however for over a month now my phone has been receiving and sending a hidden text every day to 88850800003436 (my191 service number)

these texts do not show on the text list but only on the log, consequently i have now been char4ged and refunded 59p for going over my text allowance.

Vodafone customer service insist that this number is nothing to do with them and that what i describe is not possible, well you would assume not wouldn;t you?

I remember the good old days when i just dialled 191 and didnt have  this nonesense take over the call.

My 191 can not be removed from my nokia n97mini either, it says not allowed, ( funny i thought the phone was mine)

Vodafone technical also do not beleive that my191 is doing the text thing so have sent me a new sim which on insertion says registration failed...

Today i got confirmation that 88850800003436 is vodafone my191 service as i received a non hidden text from that number which i assume is an instruction to the phone to connect back via wap. the message is as follows

<sisp: TmvSC5DWnCxKHBqulwoZzQ==:1:1> https://my191wap.vodafone.co.uk/;88850800003436  etc etc

Isnt it incredible that vodafone are doing this behind our backs and further not telling their frontline staff,

Only 6 months left and then goodbye voda after 8 or more years.. no more having to keep texting to keep my paper bill, waiting months for them to hack the nokia phone updates with their nonesense, no more installing rubbish to my phone and charging me for it and call centres who i have difficulty understanding and cant help.

Voda used to be the best..life used to be so simple... lol

View more options

Hi martin. 

So let's get this straight.....

This application has installed without my permission overnight. This is not good. 

I have no permission to remove it.  (without the help of my contact at nokia, PNHT Team's hacks, or debranding it myself.)

I was not told i would be a the mercy of on the fly software installs to my handset, and also chose a nokia as I have a lot of control on it's data connectivity (as opposed to the iphone, WP7 and android data dependant devices) 

If this is to improve service, I sadly feel my money would be better in another providers pocket. If i want help i will tweet you or post here not call, unless i'm left with no choice! 

What do I do, This feels like a betrayal of sorts, where we pay the money to be restricted via applications which we don't need. 

Then i have another member of the community telling me it charges me to download and update. Remove the application or the phone will go back as unfit for purpose. (i see constant downloading of data without permission as a fault.)

Pardon the french but ruddy fix it!

View more options

Positor1 - I made a post about this today!  as i watch the logs as I've seen a lot of contract mms use, and no proper response from VF yet.....

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Customer-Service/I-have-a-problem/td-p/649537

View more options

Thanks to the company that made the application for vodafone, NUANCE i have found how to remove my191. 

There is an application laying dormant called SelfService. 

Go to Settings. > Application manager > Installed apps

Delete the SelfStorage application, once this is deleted My191 is gone. Thank FLIP For that. 

Now onto the data it's used on the  contract mms connection. This is not on. 

Also to the VF team you state the app will help us, but if i want to view my bills and stuff i'll do it on my internet connection at home, not on my cellphone. My phone's purpose in life is to make calls, texts and tweets. not applications i do not authorise! 

View more options

Lets try again
re-read my posts i think I was a bit ranty. i apologise. can you delete the my post above this one please 
(my main reason for being annoyed is i did not authorise it to install, for all i knew it could have been a rouge app)
I'm going to ask some questions instead of rambling like an chav drinking cider on a cold day.
If i reinstall this application will it be free like it claims OR will it charge me for data use. (as it is using the contract mms profile)
If it is 100% free will it eventually stop downloading data 5-6 times a day when unused?

If you confirm this is the case I will actually try and reinstall the application and use it for 2 months (as it's on the Z: drive of the device) I'll give it a fair trial. 
let me know and i will give it a genuine go. 

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hooker1uk,

Don't worry, I appreciate the frustration at wanting to keep control of things - I used to direct plays and would spend the entire production week on the edge of a breakdown insisting on knowing everything happening in every aspect of the production at all times. One thing out of your control after all that effort can just send you over the edge.

In a way the time you had to post repeatedly here is an example of what My 191 is designed to do - give you "self-service" help at your convenience, where you don't need to wait for assistance on common queries. Anything more complex and you still have the contact options you always had, but like online banking or cashpoints, this frees up the queues for those queries which need a more in-depth response.

The options covered at this time are:

• View bill and usage information – view your last three bills, spend since last bill
  • Make a secure card payment
  • Check settings for WAP, MMS and SMS - if these are not enabled My 191 will check and fix
  • Check when you can next upgrade
  • Change or set up a direct debit
  • Update personal details e.g. billing address and email address
  • Get answers to frequently asked questions

You'll also find the My 191 help centre has a lot of answers to common questions on the service.

The My 191 installation is free, even though it can take up to thirty minutes, and the hidden texts are exactly that - hidden from the usage logs and your allowance - so you don't get charged for those either. What we cannot do at the moment, however, is reinstall it once it has been removed.

I trust you can appreciate the intention with the software, and I wish I had the facility to set up the trial for you so you could try it for yourself. We're always increasing the handsets which can run it, though, so next time you upgrade you may find it installed on that one from the box, and there may be even more options which you may find useful included.

DaveN

eForum team

View more options

Thank you for the prompt response, Dave. 

Also thank you for explaining how it works in a better way for me (with the texts and data) 

One more thing is is meant to be using the contract mms profile though?

I will look on the navifirm to see if the selfservice application is on the current firmware for the C6 (if it is there i will upload the sisxfile to my website.)

View more options

Hooker, I think you meant to say "

Go to Settings. > Application manager > Installed apps

Delete the SelfService application,

My phone will not comply. It says "uninstallation failed"

Spent 44 mins talking to vodafone technical about this problem last week, said he would ring me back in 15 mins but never did.

View more options

is yours a C6-00 and does it have the latest firmware?

View more options

I have an express music 5800.  I have has this "my191" app on my phone for quite some time now and have found that i can no longer call 191 to talk to customer serivces to resolve problems I actuall have to call 40059 which is the divert number my191 used to connect you to an agent.  I find it a very pointless app, as hooker pointed out if we want to view the information we would use our secure home internet.  This is just another way of saving money by vodafone.  There is only 1 uk based call centre the rest are in egpyt, so this is the reason why 1. the majority of the customer service advisors are unable to answer customer issues effectivly nor communicate effectivly, therefor they hang up on you  2. you spend waiting on an advisor for over 10 minutes.  3. vodafone changed their opening hours from a 24hr customer service contact centre to an 8am - 9pm (only serving 24hrs for lost and stolen barring).  The service used to be good but its getting really bad we are doing their job for them really.  I also have an issue with being told that its up to me to sort out with nokia why my phone does not connect to my computers all nokia tell me to do is to remove ovi from my system and reinstall but 2 computers with the same prob so its not the comps.  Voda are not interested in helping with this matter at all

View more options
3: Seeker

Hi

This has been going on for nearly a year, I have 4 phones and I get charged upto £20.00 per month

Mike in customer relations admitted that thet have a fault but he has not told customer services

I am very tired of asking them to refund the charges and customer services are tired of telling me that they don't have a problem.

Just because customer services do not understand the issue they do not want to listen and say that the texts are being sent by us (which they are not).

If anyone knows of any possible solutions other than having the app repaired I would be gateful to her from you.

Paul

View more options
3: Seeker

Hi they Never do Ask for Mike in customer relations ant Head Office, at least he has known of the problam for nearly a year ( but he has not stopped it charging me)

View more options
Community Manager (Retired)
Hi paul48,

I've just spoken to Mike and promise you he's looking into your individual case and a resolution as a matter of great importance.

Mike will come back to you with any further information.

Thanks,

Tom
View more options

I've got exactly what you descibe, and have spent 6 calls to customer service - todays lasted an hour, and the 'solution' is a new SIM.......?

1st call I was told to send the word STOP to 88850, this cost me 12p & didn't work.

2nd call I was told it's a network error, as the C6 00 is not comapitble with My191 - even though it came pre-loaded, and only dissappeared after a S/W update. The C/S rep told me he would personally ensure the error of sending the message would be corrected on the netwok over night - that was 5 days ago, and each new day, I get the https://my191wap.vodafone.co.uk/;88850800003436 in my inbox, and off we go again, WAP contantly communicating.........

The last 4 calls are mixes of 1 & 2, with todays ending with the SIM answer.

I've looked on my phone, and there is an error log file, which indicates the phone afer each receipt of the link above, tries unsuccessfuly to establish a download link, and tries & tries and tries, until it eventually times out, and says to restart the next day, which it duly does, over & over. Deleteing the link, means it just gets resent the next time the phone registers on the network.

If I (and other customers) can work this out WHY can't VodaFone FIX IT?????

I'm real happy, just signed up for a 2 year upgrade...........................................

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

Hi blue2tel,

I'm sorry to hear of the problem you are having here.

We would really like to look into this for you. I have emailed you asking for a few quick details. If you can reply to that for me, then we will investigate this further for you.

Woody

eForum Team

View more options

Hi,

I have received the mentioned e-mail, and have responded with the requested information. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

View more options