Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Not Receiving OTP from my bank. URGENT!

Serviced1997
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have an iPhone XS Max which works just fine. I have exhausted all my options, spoken to my bank (which is abroad) to figure out why I wasn’t getting any OTP’s. They have checked their system and refreshed it but still no luck. I used to receive my OTP’s just fine until recently they stopped coming. Weirdly enough I’ll only get their promotions but no actual OTP. I spoke to Apple and Vodafone but it looks like Vodafone could be the only responsible party here as they didn’t even bother check the system to see what’s wrong. Absolutely disgusting and if it turns out that this is Vodafone I will be sure to change providers immediately. Very furious as I need to transfer money from abroad to here to pay my tuition fees and rent, and Vodafone bill. Tried to reset everything and try my sim on a different phone with nothing at all. I’m so annoyed and irritated. Please someone help!

13 REPLIES 13

hrym
17: Community Champion

There could be many reaasons why the texts are not arriving, but the forum team will be able to do an extensive check to see if it's anything in the Vodafone system - more than the frontline customer service people, probably.  Hang on for them to pick this up and take your details privately.

AnnS

Hi @Serviced1997

I suspect your problem here will be with your the security level set up by your bank or the area code you have provided the bank.

It may be a silly question but do you receive the text when the SIM is in an alternative phone?

As the bank will be sending funds to the UK from overseas and sending the text to a UK mobile number,  it might be worth contacting the bank to make sure there is no security flag against the account.  A further suggestion would be to look at the area code, as this is a text being sent to a UK mobile number, you need to drop the 0 and use +447..........

However, as mentioned by @hrym the forum team will be able to absolutely sure everything is working correctly at network level.

hrym

It's a good point from @AnnS about checking the number (+44 etc).   However, if you're receiving marketing texts, this may not be the issue.   I do wonder, though, whether the bank don't sent security codes overseas (you say they're abroad)?   It might be worth specifically asking them that question as it could be a security issue for them.

Vodafone don't (afaik) block texts, but there have been issues with them being received from some networks, so that's worth looking into, I'd have thought.

I tried everything. Putting the sim in a different phone didn’t help. They have it down as  starting with +44 so it’s not that. Customer service is the worst, the person speaking to me wouldn’t even consider looking into it he just dodged all my concerns and was very rude. But if Vodafone is at fault I won’t be leaving it at just that, I’ll make sure the least I do is create a huge fuss in court or any other complaint vehicle. If anyone from Vodafone is reading this have a little decency to come and fix this serious issue.

AnnS

Hi @Serviced1997

It might be worth bearing in mind that we are only trying to help.  

Have you actually contacted your overseas bank to make sure everything is as it should be bank end? The bank are sending security texts to an UK mobile number for verification.

Yes I have done all that. They raised a complaint and checked with the technical team. The messages have been delivered but I just have not received them. Frustrating. 

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @Serviced1997, it very strange you're not getting these texts from your bank and I'll be more than happy to access your account and take a look into this for you.

So I can do this securely, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Did what you asked me to do and sent the message. Please fix this as I’m only getting dodged by Vodafone and the next thing I’ll do is ##~## my sim and any contract with you into court. Plus I won’t pay any of my bills until you fix this. I didn’t think I’m paying for an incomplete service. 

Getafix
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

Does your bank send the SMS from a registered Mobile Number or Just a company name?

If from a Company Name, then it could be possible they are not a verified sender to UK Network and are Blocked as part of the phishing security that has been introduced recently by all UK Network. There are many SMS send to be pretending from authentic Company and people have been scammed. Hence there has been a drive by UK Network to block those that are not registered/recognised.

Your Bank being a foreign company might not be registered in UK or recognised. And to get that changed is not going to be a Simple process and probably impossible as it will be Foreign Company.

So another option is ask your bank if they could send to a Landline and you could listen to it. Other Alternative is to have PAYG SIM from your home country with roaming enabled so you can receieve SMS.