Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Premium rate scam

aq66
2: Seeker

Hi 

I have been targeted by a premium rate scam where I am being charged £4.50 per week for I don't know what. the reference is "MyConte02037403517" - has anyone else had this?  I have called the number on my bill and it is just a messaging service which says I will be called back in 48 hours. I am still being charged. Vodafone have blocked my number from receiving anything from other premium rate companies however they cannot cancel the charges. I am not receiving any text messages etc so I cannot reply saying "STOP ALL" as you can with others.

Has anyone else had this and successfully stopped it without having to get a new number?!

Thanks

42 REPLIES 42

I had an issue with another phone provider as well, despite my phone at the time not having internet access..  It is a scam and too easy for someone to hit a button without even realising.  Also lots of children use their parents phones as well..  it should not be so easy and expensive and if people are not checking their estimated charges by the time their bill is out the cost could be massive.

My main argument is that the default setting on all contracts should be set that you have opted out and it is up to you to change this that you can get premium rate services

secondly when you are subscribing to these there should be a further controls in place, eg that you need to enter a pasword allowing the service to be charged to your phone contract.  This should be for all phone operators not just Vodafone. 

The company trying to scam me have only been set up/registered a month ago .  the link below may be of use

https://psauthority.org.uk/

Thank you I will try this.

Ccooke2403

HI 

This has happened to me over the last 3 months and Vodafone wont refund my money. I have had no texts or messages and have not subscribed to anything. Sports Plus is coming up on my bill charging £4.50per week for the last 3 months. Vodafone gave me Dynamic Mobile Billing Company Name however there is no response to my emails. Where you able to obtain a refund? 

Mediterraneou
Service checker - result The PSA has the following information about the number below:- 02037403517 Customer care number 0330 053 5838 Search result provided by Finite Inc Global Limited Service connected on 05 November 2018 Service terminated on This service is still operating Name of service Customer service number for Finite Inc Global Ltd - please note this is not a phone-paid service Type of service Purchase - other Service description It is the customer service number for Finite Inc Global Ltd - please note this is not a phone-paid service. If this number has appeared on your telephone bill please contact your telephone provider and establish the shortcode behind the charge (this will be 5 or 6 digits starting with 6, 7 or 8). Once you have this information please come back to the PSA website and register a report or if you already have this information please log a report using the shortcode. How much does this service cost? It is the customer service number for Finite Inc Global Ltd - please note this is not a phone-paid service. If this number has appeared on your telephone bill please contact your telephone provider and establish the shortcode behind the charge (this will be 5 or 6 digits starting with 6, 7 or 8). Once you have this information please come back to the PSA website and register a report or if you already have this information please log a report using the shortcode. If you would like to find out more about this service or have a question about it, then you should contact the service provider below. Finite Inc Global Limited 27 Old Gloucester Street London WC1N 3AX United Kingdom

No one cares about this fraud

Vodafone - no

Other mobile companies - no

PSA - no

Other regulatory authorities - no 

Corporate bodies and wealthy officials  and the Government do not care yet people like us are the ones who suffer. 

I've had £25 adeded to my bill this month from these premium rate scams. I called 191 and was told my account would only be charged my usual £40 and Vodafone would contact the companies on my behalf. The operator also said that they were aware of this issue and had reported said companies to the regulator. I was told it would be sorted and I would get a call back after 7 days. We even arranged a time, 11:00 on January 24th. I recieved no callback and today my bill has been taken from my account for the full £65!!! Is the Vodafone 191 number a scam too?!?!?! Also, I was told that premium barring had been added to my account and 3 days later I received ANOTHER text telling me I had subscribed to a different premium service. I had not, and I never like replying to these random texts as I assume, as I did from the very start, that they are phishing for 'live' numbers. I was concerned that my details had been stolen but was assured that they had not, but then I was also assured of a callback AND for the £25 to be put on hold until the issue was sorted out and neither of those turned out to be true. I have NEVER subscribed to any premium online services so am a little bit lost as to how I've been charged and am also slightly appalled that Vodafone just seem to wash their hands of it all and do not deliver when I was promised assitance.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @sicram1972, it's really disappointing to hear that you're still getting these premium rate messages. If you've not unsubscribed by texting STOP to the number provided in the texts, the Premium Rate Message bar won't stop things you're already signed up to.

So I can take a closer look into this for you, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

TJ i do not think that is totally  correct " If you've not unsubscribed by texting STOP to the number provided in the texts, the Premium Rate Message bar won't stop things you're already signed up to."  It is correct that turning the bar on will not stop them, but these subscriptions can be cancelled by customer services.  I have been told different things by customer service but one got mine cancelled.

Also if you have not signed up to something it is understandable you will not reply stop as for example you could get charged for sending the text

I've had some further interaction with my 'content provider'. Although they still refuse to provide any evidence that my wife signed up they have provided me a screenshot of their sign-up page which shows cartoon zombies. The provider claims that my wife must have entered her number and ticked various check boxes  to subscribe which we know she didn't. The provider claims that there are protections in place to stop bots and third parties signing up other people's accounts without their knowledge.  Additonally the provider has still not explained how to access the content allegedly subscribed to and more interestingly claim that the sign-up was direct on their site, not via Facebook, even though Vodaone have told me that it was Facebook the sign-up occurred through.

Basically Vodafone have paid out my money for a service they only have the providers word for that my wife has signed up to. I have not agreed to this. Effectively I have had £18 stolen from me. I have reported the provider to the PSA and provided copies of all emails. Theft has occurred and I am seriously thinking about the small claims' court although I haven't decided against whom yet. My gut feeling is that as I have no contract with the content provider but I do with Vodafone, that Vodafone would be the most suitable target because they have taken money from my account without authority (it occurs to me this is a breach of the direct debit guarantee - I'll need to look into that). The issue regarding Vodafone paying money to the content provider is one for Vodafone and the content provider to argue about between themselves.

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We're able to bar premium rate services at a customer’s request, but we're unable to stop an individual premium rate service. This would need to be done by the company that’s providing the actual service.  Maybe we called the company for you @HJS16, that would work. 

Blair