main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Remove Gmail Account on VF695 - Android KitKat

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
4: Newbie

Hi all,

I was wondering whether you could help. Basically I want to remove my Gmail account on a VF695 which has the latest supported Android OS 4.4.2 (KitKat) but can't find any options on how to do this and have scouted across the Internet as well as the Vodafone forum in order to find solutions. Your help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim  

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
17: Community Champion

Thanks @63johnw

@RocknRollTim if you do consider a Factory Reset please do create a back up before hand to preserve your saved data in the phones storage. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
20 REPLIES 20

Hi @RocknRollTim

Section 4.2 discusses email in the User Manual.

Ive not used that phone but after a Google search I found. 

"How to Remove old gmail account. > Go to settings. > Accounts then Accounts and Sync. > Hold tap to your old gmail account. Then click remove account. An option will pop up then proceed by clicking remove account."

Are you wanting to add a New gMail account or add another email app and use another email protocol. 

If this avenue does not work and you get stuck then perhaps may I suggest visiting a Vodafone Highstreet Store where the staff maybe able to help / guide you. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Hi bandofbrothers,

Thank you for responding to my forum thread, does the phone rely upon the primary email account you first setup for Google Android services similar to the Windows Lumia phones and can only be gotten rid of by doing a factory reset? The email account isn't selectable under the sections you advised me to do so I am suspecting you can't remove it as it is needed by the Google Android services, this is probably the case when you add another email account besides the primary email account. Please could you and/or someone else from the Vodafone forum confirm.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
View more options
Hi, I am using an android phone, the primary account was set up when I first set up the phone (my gmail account), when I go to settings, accounts, Google then access the 3 dots for the menu I get the option to remove the Google account, obviously I haven't pressed it but the option to remove is there.

A factory reset would also get rid of it and reset your device to an as new state.
View more options

You're welcome.

If the gmail app is baked into the phone / firmware then a factory reset won't remove it. 

If your wanting to use another email client then have a look in your App Store to select one of the many available. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Hi, just for information @BandOfBrothers (I know you are iPhone rather than android) but when you get a new android device on first switching on if you want to use Google services, play store (app store) etc then you have to set up the phone with a Google account, its not baked in.

Factory reset takes the phone back to the as new state before setting up with Google account, allowing it to be set up again, even with a different Google account.
View more options
@63johnw Thank you for also responding to my forum thread, I can't understand why this option isn't made available to all Android users on all Android devices like in other mobile OSs in a consistent manner, I've just added another email account to the phone and the options aren't available for that email account either.

@bandofbrothers Which apps do you suggest I look for?

Kind regards,

Tim Auluck
View more options
Can I ask why you are wanting to remove the account?
View more options

Thank you @63johnw

Is it possible then to intentionally deactivate gmail in settings to stop recieving emails ,and have another email set up as Primary to recieve emails to that ?

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
Hi 63johnw,

I'm wanting to remove the account as I closed it down due to it kept getting tapped into and want to use the new one instead.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim
View more options
Have you tried a factory reset
View more options
@BandOfBrothers yes you can turn off that and have another one as primary, you can even use gmail for other account types such as yahoo.
View more options
I think I would try the reset to remove all traces of the old account if you have been having problems with that anyway
View more options

Thanks @63johnw

@RocknRollTim if you do consider a Factory Reset please do create a back up before hand to preserve your saved data in the phones storage. 

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options

Thank you both, I have followed your instructions with regards to performing a factory reset and it has removed all traces of both email accounts from the phone successfully but I still feel that either Vodafone or Android should have addressed this back in Android 4.4.2 (KitKat) in order to save a lot of inconvenience for Android users which is no longer the case in later Android OSs.

@63johnw Could this problem be related due to the fact that the phone was unlocked? The phone was unlocked from Vodafone and now uses another SIM card.

Also please could you confirm the following for me so I can make a comparison between mine and your VF695 just to see whether it is a firmware issue or whether it is due to the fact that it has been unlocked.

Locked/Unlocked:

Android Version i.e. 4.4.2:

Baseband Version i.e. 6180:

Kernel Version i.e. 3.4.67:

Build number i.e. KitKat:

Custom Build Version i.e 160HEG1:

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim    

View more options
Sorry @RocknRollTim I don't have that device, just using my general android knowledge.
View more options

The first thing to bear in mind before closing your primary email account, is that Google uses that as a gateway to all Google services. It is the keeper of your Google environment.

Any Apps you have bought will no longer show as being purchased. If you haven't paid for any apps then you are free to set up your phone as new.

Personally I would go with the Factory Reset option. It is the quickest method and completely Free's you from any issues in the future.

After the reset you will be given the option of creating a Google account. The default is to set up a Gmail account but you can choose to use a pre existing email account from any provider, such as Outlook, Yahoo, AOL etc...

Once the phone is finished setting up, you can open the "Email App" (not gmail) and set it up for your email account.

Google Play Store and Google Maps along with YouTube will all now be associated to your email account of choice... 😉

TSD.

View more options

@63johnw Not to worry, I was just curious and wanted to see whether anybody else had the same issue as me and to compare specs in order to isolate what the issue could have been but as there is no one to compare specs with, I'll mark the thread as resolved. Thank you to both you, @bandofbrothers and @thesoupdragon for all your help.

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim

View more options

@thesoupdragon Thank you for also responding to my forum thread, I totally understand what you are saying, its the same principle for the Nokia Lumias at this moment in time with WP 8.1. 

Kind regards,

RocknRollTim 

View more options

I've come late to this thread, so apologies if I'm repeating something that's already been said.   I recently removed and replaced a Gmail account due to some sync issues.  It was perfectly straightforward.   You go into Settings|Accounts & Sync and then Google and there's a remove option.   That should take you back to the list of accounts with an option to add.   You can then add the same account or a different one.  You can't remove just the email part of the account, though, as once you've signed into Google, you're connected to all parts of it.

View more options