Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Static IP - mixed messages

mellyme02
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Good evening,

Before opening my account I checked whether static IPs could be provided to home broadband users, and was told that they can. My service went live today and I’d like to get this set up as soon as possible.

Online chat directed me to call ‭0808 003 4515‬, who at first told me that this option had been discontinued at the beginning of March. After explaining I had been told it was available in early April, he kindly investigated and said there was actually just a problem with assigning static IPs to accounts, and to check back in a couple of weeks.

As the cooling off period is 30 days, I would like this to be remedied in the next few weeks. I have had this feature with PlusNet for many years, and have come to rely on it. Is anyone able to advise on whether the information I have received is accurate and complete?

Many thanks,

Melanie.

5 REPLIES 5

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@mellyme02 Thanks for getting in touch, I completely understand your frustration and apologise for any confusion that's been caused.

I've passed your query along to the relevant team; once they've come back to me with a definite answer I'll update you right away. 

TJ

Thanks for your patience @mellyme02.

I've checked with our Broadband team and they've advised that Static IP addresses are available on our Business Broadband service; you can find more information on getting one set up here.

We can't guarantee a Static IP will be available for our consumer customers and this isn't a service we advertise, so I apologise if you feel you've been misadvised and I'm sorry for any confusion caused.

Please pop back to us if you have any further questions, we'll be more than happy to help you out. 

In that case, somebody needs to tell your sales staff to stop telling prospective customers that a static IP is available to them. I’m not happy about this at all and it has soured the entire experience of switching to Vodafone.

I will be looking into dynamic DNS options, but if that isn’t workable I will need to switch back to my previous provider - what is the procedure for acting on the 30 day cooling off period?

Interestingly the latest version of the home broadband T&C's does indeed fail to mention static IPs. So looks like they have decided to remove that option.

Personally I'd have been happy to pay a fee for having a static IP, but it looks like it has now been removed as an option at all. OK if you've already got it I assume, but will put off some people who were potentially going to transfer in.

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm sorry to hear you're thinking of leaving @mellyme02. You can find more information about cancelling your broadband service via our website.