main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

Unable to send/receive pictures or access data services

SOLVED
View solved solution
2: Seeker

Hi there,

For some time now I have been unable to send or receive picture messages using my Galaxy S2. Also, I have now noticed that I cannot use any data services when away from my Wi-Fi connection. I used to be able to use these services fine, but this is frustrating me now as I feel as I am not getting value for money from my contract. My husband is also on Vodafone and doesn't have any problems.

Thanks,

Wendy

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
16: Advanced member

I'm gonna ask a really silly question here - you do have mobile data switched on?  If so, it could be that there is some issue at network level that is preventing MMS being sent from your handset.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

View more options
16 REPLIES 16

Hi there

It sounds like data and MMS services haven't been set up on your phone.  Please text the word WEB to 40127 and that should send a configuration message to your handset that you can install that should give you the correct settings.  Let us know how you get on!

PWIAC

View more options

Hi, I have tried that previously but have tried it again tonight following your suggestion but still no joy. If anyone sends me a picture message it just sits in my inbox with the message details and 'Downloading'. It will stay like this forever more until I delete the message.

View more options

Hi there

Could you manually check to see if you have the correct settings on your handset.  I am guessing you are on Pay Monthly, if so the settings are below:

Pay monthly / Business
APN: wap.vodafone.co.uk
Username: wap
Password: wap

There is a good step by step guide on how to change the settings in this link, all you will need to do is click on the Set up your phone for internet link.

PWIAC

View more options

Thanks, checked this and all the settings are as you state.

View more options
Highlighted

What happens if you try to send yourself a Picture Message?  Do you get any error messages?

PWIAC

View more options
It says 'Currently unable to send message.Will try again once service becomes available.'
View more options

I'm gonna ask a really silly question here - you do have mobile data switched on?  If so, it could be that there is some issue at network level that is preventing MMS being sent from your handset.

PWIAC

View solution in original position

View more options
Wasn't a silly question at all -once I found where to find this setting ( and it was hidden away a bit ) it was deactivated.
Activated it now and picture messages are now working. Thanks for help - can't believe it was so obvious, but this setting is not where I would have expected it to be!
View more options

Brilliant!  I am pleased that your problem is now fixed! Thank you very much for letting us know.  One thing to bear in mind is that, with Mobile Data on, your phone will use data in the background.  If you don't have mobile data as part of your tariff you may wish to turn it back off in order to avoid running up data charges!

If you need any future assistance, you know where to come! :smileyhappy:

PWIAC

View more options
alm 3: Seeker
3: Seeker

I have a Samsung Galaxy Y and have never been able to send or receive picture messages. I can attach pictures and send them via my email but this should not be the only way I can do this. Where will I find out if my mobile data is switched on?

View more options
17: Community Champion

If you can access internet on your phone not using wifi then your data is on.

Can you do this ?

Its more likely that mms are switched off on your account.

Customer service should be able to help with this but there have been many stories where it has been hard to get it properly activated.

Someone from the eforum may be able to help but it can take 24 hours for them to get back to you.

if you can send pictures via email why not just keep doing that ? mms will cost for each picture.

Whatsapp or viber allows the sending of pictures over wifi/3G for free (apart from the data use)

View more options

to check data settings it should be in settings, connections, more networksmobile netwrks then ensure mobile data ticked.

View more options

Is mobile the same as having 'packet data' on or do I need 'roaming data' on? It's ok to send some people pictures via email but some people do not have access to email so still need to be able to send and receive via MMS. Relatives often try to send me pictures but it always says 'Downloading' but never does.

How do I contact customer services to check that MMS is allowed on my phone?

View more options

Yes packet data is the same. Roaing only needs to be on when you are abroad.

Call 191 from your handset and ask them.

If they say yes and it still doesnt work, come back on here and ask the eforum team for help.

View more options

Thanks. Customer services have checked that I am able to send/receive MMS. They took me through the settings and set up a new APN. I can now send pictures and hopefully will be able to receive them too.

View more options
View more options