cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 (Power - flashing, Internet - solid orange, In Service - off, In Use - solid orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Solid Orange
  • In Service: Off
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and the cause is a network timing issue (NTP). These symptoms can be prone to recurrence.

Troubleshooting

Check that your Sure Signal has been registered successfully.
Before your Sure Signal can connect to our network, you must have first registered it with us. You will have received a message via text or email to let you know when the registration has completed successfully. Your Sure Signal will not work until you have recieved this confirmation message.

To verify that your Sure Signal has been registered, login to My Account, and click on the My Sure Signal tab. Your Sure Signal details should be listed, along with the status "Registered".

If you have not registered your Sure Signal, and are a Business Customer, please register at our Business Sure Signal page.

If you're a Consumer Customer, you can register directly from within the My Sure Signal page in My Account.

Manually configure your Router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called "Universal Plug-n-Play" or UPnP, which will setup port-forwarding for you automatically. If you have a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may be required to enter these settings in manually.

The following details list the IP addresses and Port Numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For detailed instructions on how to do this, we recommend either contacting your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or referring to the Default Guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com

Destination IP Addresses:

• 212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

• 8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)
  • 50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)
  • 53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)
  • 67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    
  • 68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        
  • 123 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 500 – UDP                    (All routers)     
  • 1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          
  • 4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     
  • 33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your Router will also need to be able to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS Server address via DHCP.

Check your MTU settings:

1. Log into your admin page for your router
  2. Find the location of the MTU field - this varies depending on the make and model of router so you’ll need to hunt around for it
  3. Change the value of the MTU size to 1500 if this is allowed by your router

Log out of the router, this will usually result in a reboot:

1. Hold in the reset button until all the lights go solid
  2. Pull the power lead out with the reset button still pushed in
  3. Continue to hold down the reset button and reconnect the power lead
  4. Wait for all of the lights to come on then release the reset button

The Sure Signal will now try to contact the network and download its profile. This may take anything up to 6 hours.

Post your Router details.
If you have successfully followed all of the above, or are struggling with configuring your Router, please post your Router's make and full model number below. It would also be helpful to include your Sure Signal Serial number and ISP (Internet Service Provider).

Quite often other users of the same router will be able to share tips with you around setup and any extra security settings that may need to be enabled/disabled to get things working correctly. Wherever possible, we will also attempt to assist you with this, however due to the vast number of different manufacturers and models, it is not always possible, and we do not officially support any form of Router Configuration. For that reason we will always recommend contacting your Router Manufacturer or ISP for assistance first.

Please provide your ISP with some information supporting the network performance issue such as a number of speedtests performed throughout the day and a trace route.

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear.
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply.

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

Thanks

LeeH

208 REPLIES 208

Mark
Community Manager
Community Manager

@andydbryant

Thanks for supplying the information requested.

It appears you may affected by this issue. So we can add you to the list of affected customers and keep you updated on the progress of our investigation, we’ll need to take specific information from you. The quickest way for us to take this info, is for you to call us on 191, option 2 and then follow the option to connect you to our Sure Signal Technical team.

My sure signal has worked for just over 2 years. I had a problem with connectivity in Jan of 2015 (unit worked with all phones but mine), but when I de registered then reregistered the SS box it worked again.  Now it's just stopped working and displays the light sequence in this thread.  De/re registered it, swapped Ethernet cables, tried two different phone lines and 2 different routers - no luck.  I know the internet is fine because we've been streaming videos.   Is it possible I'm one of the effected users of the mystery problem?  How can I tell?   S/N of my unit is 42141626004.  

Any help gratefully received!

Hi

It looks as if you can add me to the (growing) list of affected users!  Exactly the same symptoms as DebTX.  Anyone got a solution?

CPN
3: Seeker

I've been in contact with the Sure Signal 3rd Line team now since my unit failed to connect on Monday the 4th and various firmware updates and reboots have been tried but if my router cannot see your server's IP address (212.183.133.177) how is it ever going to work? I now have the same light sequence as the title of this thread.

Router: Sky SR102 (Black)

ISP: Sky Fibre (note that this STILL uses the BT Openreach platform)

VSS Serial No. 421500956383

tracert result:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 2 ms 2 ms 2 ms SkyRouter.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 18 ms 16 ms 14 ms be436.pr2.enlba.isp.sky.com [89.200.131.252]
4 14 ms 13 ms 13 ms ae51.edge3.London15.Level3.net [212.187.193.185]
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 13 ms 13 ms 14 ms 212.187.195.178
8 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms ae12-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.28.26]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Could you kindly add me to the list please?

Colin

andydbryant
Tried calling last night, 25 minutes on hold and gave up, tonight I get through all the automated choices to be told due to an emergency nobody can answer my call! Can I not just be added to the list without phoning? Calling Vodafone is always a painful experience

@andydbyrant

There was an issue that we were aware of.

Please see our statement here.

andydbryant
Great, thanks - can confirm my sure signal is working again.

CPN
As is mine. Pity about the level of communication from the team though throughout this week...

LumenArchitect
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Guys

Tried everything written so far over the last 28 hours and keep coming back to flashing power, static internet and in use in orange with no In service light ever coming on.

Sure Signal Serial: 42152516763

ISP: Virgin

Router: Superhub 2

IP: 82.36.145.216

Ping: 12ms

Download: 159.28 Mbps

Upload: 12.26 Mbps

Tracert results:

Tracing route to 212.183.133.177 over a maximum of 30 hops

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  routerlogin.net [192.168.0.1]
  2    10 ms     8 ms    10 ms  10.69.244.1
  3    24 ms    10 ms     8 ms  perr-core-2b-xe-221-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.255.149.213]
  4     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  5     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  6    16 ms    14 ms    13 ms  nrth-bb-1c-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.134]
  7    34 ms    36 ms    32 ms  fran-ic-2-ae0-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.178]
  8    30 ms    33 ms    29 ms  FFMGW3.arcor-ip.net [80.81.192.117]
  9    32 ms    33 ms    33 ms  92.79.213.121
 10    34 ms    33 ms    33 ms  92.79.213.158
 11    32 ms    30 ms    30 ms  85.205.0.93
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

Not sure what's going on but I'm getting pretty fed up. Since the signal masts in my area were 'upgraded' I cannot get a 3g or 4g signal in my home or garden. Bought one of these Sure Signal and so far it appears to be a waste of money!

Please help.

Cheers.