cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Andy.

Could you get confirmation on the needed ports, and most importantly, the direction they need to be open?  And for what purpose/need.

I'm not trying to hack the system, just trying to figure out a way to get through our restrictive router.

Is it also possible, to get the VPN to use different ports, as we already have a pptp vpn here on the default port range.

Is there also a way to do a full reset on a VSS, the one I have here other than blinking the red power light, and lighting the User indicator (Orange.)  Even running Wireshark on a PC attached to the same Hub (Not a switch) that the VSS is attached to, can I see any traffic whatsoever to/from it's MAC address.

(I can see in all the gory detail, other device's transactions just fine, but nothing, not a peep from the VSS.)

Some information as to the expected timeline, from applying AC power, to what it does and when, in regards to DHCP transactions would also be good to know.

Or, a phone number to talk to a human who knows these things intimately would be even better.

Regards.

Dave Baxter

AR-UK Ltd.

Just to add... when I use a port forwarding checker the ports are open. Also, the network passthrough on the device is working fine. Try as I may I simply cannot reset as per the instructions given on these forums, no matter how long I hold the button the lights never change... instead, as soon as I let go the device reboots.

Edward

Sorry guys but I finally lost patience with this, last week.  I have to have a corporate firewall to satisfy our parent company and despite having two experts rework the config many times to get the thing to work, it never has.

We have just spent too much time on this, we will move all our vodafone accounts to EE when the current contract expires as we have signal wheras none inside our building with vodafone.  We are all just fed up with standing in the car park to get/make calls. 

I will take it home and try it from there, maybe it will improve my signal at home.

I will do the necessary location change and see where we go from there

Sorry

Phil

Hi guys,

I can understand your frustration regarding this.

If you try the Sure Signal at a different location and let us know what happens.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi, a couple of our customers (we're a small ISP) are having problems with their suresignal's.

Can you please check to see if our IP range has been blacklisted? 185.51.172.0/22

Thanks.

Sukhi
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi ngaconnect,

The IP range was not on our whitelist, I've requested for it to be added :).

Thanks,

Sukhi

Hi,

I have the same connection issue with our device.

We are a small ISP called Virocom Ltd and it is connected on one our ADSL lines, on one of our IP range that we provide to customers (and in this case are using for testing in our office).

I've confirmed that the Sure Signal V3 device works correctly at my house on a consumer Talk Talk ADSL connection.

Sure Signal Serial: 40134619762

External IP Address: 91.109.46.16

Tracing route to cluster4.vap.vodafone.co.uk [212.183.133.177] over a maximum of 30 hops:
  1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.196.1
  2     4 ms     1 ms     1 ms  91.109.45.177
  3    22 ms    23 ms    22 ms  91.109.40.2
  4    26 ms    25 ms    24 ms  91.109.40.33
  5    34 ms    28 ms    30 ms  80.169.31.177
  6   101 ms    26 ms    27 ms  te0-0-0-0-pr1.LON.router.colt.net [212.74.73.231]
  7   104 ms   103 ms    66 ms  ae0-1802-xcr1.lsw.cw.net [195.66.224.182]
  8    24 ms    25 ms    43 ms  ae22-xcr1.lns.cw.net [195.2.30.61]
  9     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.
Trace complete.

Could you confirm whether our IP range should be allowed?

Many thanks,

Matt Hill

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Matt,

IP address 91.109.46.16 is showing on our whitelist.

Please let me know your speed test results from here and your ping test results from here.

Thanks,

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

Thanks for your reply!

The results are as follows:

speedtest.net - Ping = 42ms, Download = 11.55 Mbps, Upload = 0.88 Mbps

pingtest.net - Line Quality = C, MOS = 4.24, Ping = 80ms, Jitter = 50ms, Packet Loss = 0% 

It's not a great result, but presumably it should be adequate for the Sure Signal to register?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Whilst the speedtest results are ok, it's worth noting that with the upload speed you have, it'll prove difficult to support concurrent calls.

Please double check the ports are configured as below:

Manually configure your router to allow port-forwarding.
In most cases, routers support a system called Universal Plug-n-Play (UPnP), which sets up port-forwarding for you automatically. If you’ve got a complicated network setup, or a complex router, you may need to enter these settings manually.

Please see the following for a list of IP addresses and port numbers that need to be forwarded to your Sure Signal's internal IP address. For instructions on how to do this, we recommend you contact your ISP or Router Manufacturer, or refer to the default guide for your particular make and model, over at http://portforward.com.

Destination IP Addresses:
212.183.131.128/26

Ports and Protocols:

8 – TCP/UDP                 (All routers)

50 – TCP/UDP               (All routers)

53 – TCP/UDP               (Virgin Super Hubs)

67 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                                    

68 – UDP                      (Virgin Super Hubs)                                        

123 – UDP                    (All routers)     

500 – UDP                    (All routers)     

1723 – TCP/UDP           (BT Home Hubs)          

4500 – UDP                   (All routers)     

33434 – 33445 – UDP    (Virgin Super Hubs)

Please note that in the above list of IP addresses, the notation "212.183.131.128/26" means the complete range of IP addresses between 212.183.131.128 and 212.183.131.191

Your router also needs to assign the Sure Signal with a DNS (Domain Name Server) address via DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol).

Thanks, 

Matt B