cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Version 3 VSS Lights (Power - flashing, Internet - off, In Service - orange, In Use - orange)

Retired-Lee
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This thread has been created to discuss and troubleshoot the version 3 Sure Signal when the light sequence is as follows:

• Power: Flashing
  • Internet: Off
  • In Service: Solid Orange
  • In Use: Solid Orange

Cause

This light sequence indicates the Sure Signal's not active and it has been unable to authenticate on the Vodafone network

Troubleshooting

Please restart your Sure Signal. If the symptoms continue please add the following details to this thread:

• Your speed test results from here
  • Your ping test results from here
  • Your external IP address from here
  • Your Sure Signal serial number
  • The results of a traceroute

Traceroute command:

On a PC:

1. Click on Start and select Run
  2. Type CMD into the Run box and press enter/click ok
  3. A black box will appear
  4. In this box type tracert 212.183.133.177 press Enter
  5. Paste the output of this command into your reply

On a Mac:

1. Open Terminal (Applications, Utilities)
  2. Type 'traceroute 212.183.133.177'
  3. Press Enter

This will help us get the quickest possible resolution for you.

Thanks

LeeH

2,480 REPLIES 2,480

Hi Andrew

We are based in Tamworth stafordshie and our isp is THUSS (Demon) i have checked my IP again and that is correct 195.59.3.130

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi jaykerai,  

Thanks for the information you’ve provided, there’s nothing in the details or traceroute that would affect your connection. I’ve checked our systems and can see your Sure Signal connected to our servers on the morning of 12th February.

So that we can be certain your Sure Signal is as up-to-date as possible, I’ve just forced a resync for you. To make sure the resync completes, can you perform a factory reset:-

• Hold down the reset button until all the lights show/flash (about 30 seconds)
  • Keeping the reset button held down, remove then re-insert the power lead.
  • Once all lights display release the reset button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

Let me know how you go on.

Hi AWC11,

Many thanks for the update; I believe there was a transposed figure on your initial IP address that was posted which gave the incorrect results. I’ve checked the OP address you’ve posted above and can see it’s not on our whitelist. I sent a request for this to be added.

Thanks

Andrew

Hi

Thanks for the reply, i have tried to perfom factory reset, as you have mentioned on the last message, it will not work, i have kept hold of the reset button for more then 30 seconds and nothing is happening on the device?

Regards

Jay

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell whats happening regards my problem, last response i had was my IP was being added to whitelist.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi AWC11,

My apologies for none of the team posting back to you however I can confirm that your IP address of 195.59.3.130 has been added onto the whitelist for you.

Please can you perform another reset and let me know if your issues continue.

To reset your device, hold the reset button for 30 seconds until the light sequence change to show the same sequence that you had when first switching on the device.

James

I have a solid red light - Solid white Internet light - Solid white service light - but no phone light at all

Phil
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

AWC11 - The pattern that you're seeing there suggests everything is up and running.  I've checked your Sure Signal and it did connect with our network on the 18th.  Can you confirm that it's working for you now?

Snowflake - Let us know how you get on once you've tried the Sure Signal in a different location. 

joeschmoe1 - Your Sure Signal hasn't connected with our network at all yet which would suggest there's either an issue with the device/setup at your location.  Everything's fine with your traceroute and IP address that you've provided.  Could you give the device a go in a different location to see if it makes contact with us please?

johnking - Your traceroute does seem a little high on hop 1 but all of the others are fine.  Could you let us know the serial number of your replacement so we can check this for you?

robinv2 - Your Sure Signal hasn't connected back with us since the 7th.  When you say the silver globe is pulsing is this a white light?  If so then it means the Sure Signal is being configured and connecting to the system.  This can take up to 24 hours to complete. 

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks,

Phil

serial no- 40123670982

Hi johnking,

I've performed a resync, so can you reset the Sure Signal and let us know if this kicks in?

• Locate the button on the base of the box next to the Ethernet ports.
  • Press and hold the button for approximately 30 seconds.
  • Once the lights come back on, release the button.
  • The Sure Signal will come online in around 1 hour.

If that doesn't change things, then there are a few other things we can suggest. 

- Switch off and reboot the Sure Signal and router together. Wait until the router is fully restarted before restarting the Sure Signal.

- Change the physical router port the Sure Signal is connected to.

- Try an alternate Ethernet cable.

- Check the following ports are open for forwarding on the router: 8, 50, 123, 500, 1723, 4500.

Can you also retry the Traceroute for me so we can be certain that first step being so high was just a brief hiccup? The maximum that the Sure Signal will work at is 200ms, so if problems persist with this being high you may need to speak with the ISP for them to see what's causing this.

-------------------------------

joeschmo1 - Apologies for the confusion. Can you try it on a different internet connection? This helps to see if the issue may be linked to the connection itself - does it work on a different one?

--------------------------------

robinv2 - The solid red light with a slow pulsing "planet” light indicates that the Sure Signal is initialising or updating. This can take a few hours to complete, so if you only checked briefly, we wouldn't be able to see for sure that this would become live once that finished.

It suggests - but doesn't yet confirm - that the issue lies with some component of your connection such as the router rather than the Sure Signal itself. 

Is it possible for you to try rebooting the Sure Signal and router together for me? Switch off the Sure Signal, then the router. Reboot the router only and wait until it is fully restarted before you restart the Sure Signal. This can help to flush out anything which may be getting in the way.

Also, do you have any other Ethernet cable or physical port on the router you can try connecting with, just to rule these out?

Dave

Well it was never going to be simple now was it - but it's working!

In the end four things happened and it could have been any one of them or a combination that eventually fired it into life - i just don't know, which is a little frustrating.

1. First i redid the port forwarding - which i've done a hundred times but this time I did something different. My DLink router has separate entries for TCP and UDP and before (when it worked previously) i had some on TCP and some on UDP. This time i put all of them on both figuring what the heck - 8,50,123,500,4500,1723

So i did that and rebooted. The VSS didnt change.

2. I then did as you suggested and unplugged the router, then the VSS and then plugged the router back in and waited for a few minutes before plugging back in the VSS

3. While i was waiting for that I ran into my wife who is fed up with the whole situation and took the opportunity to unload all her frustration about it and how the lack of texting it's ruining her life - fair play, it is bloody annoying.

4. Checked the VSS to find it had only one orange light on - and discovered that the modem had come unplugged (i have separate modem and router) - probably happened as i plugged the VSS back in (i find the incorporated plug very annoying and awkward) so i then plugged the modem back in.

I watched the VSS for a while and after a minute or two of being the usual flashing red and two orange lights it flitted to a solid red and pulshing globe as the modem got working again. I was expecting it to jump back to the two orange as usual but it didn't - it kept on pulsing. After a few more minutes the globe disappeared..... and then reappeared and kept pulsing. I went off for lunch and just as we were clearing up we both got the "bings" of texts coming through - hoorah! It's working!

So, it could have been the port forwarding, could have been restarting the router, could have been the modem restart combined with the order in which things came on - or i could have somehow enabled the empathy circuits and shocked by my wife's frustration the VSS decided that it really should sort itself out. We will never know because there's no way i'm turning any of it off ever again.

All i can advise to anyone else having trouble is to persevere - and if possible have a fight with your partner right in front of it :Smiling: