Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodafone wont allow use of personal routers on their Broadband

mphasey
2: Seeker
2: Seeker
Had to cancel my Vodafone Broadband today, after calling customer service to request the PPPoe access details to the broadband network so I could configure and use my own Draytek router (that has a large number of features, not available on the "Vodafone Connect" Router) like VOIP and extended AP connectivity. I was told that the PPPoe details are a secret and a security risk if divulged to the public, (what utter rot). Every ISP I have used over the years BT, Talk Talk etc have had no problems letting their users have this information so they have control over what equipment they use to access the service. I have invested a considerable amount of money in a high spec router that meets all my requirements, that the "Vodafone Connect" router cannot. This was not an unusual request, I'm sure there are many in my position.
28 REPLIES 28

Have just seen this thread...am about to switch to VF from Sky to get away from this problem...and cannot believe that I am about to face it again - is it true that you cannot connect a decent router to the VF FPfibre service?

@inizii - Welcome to the eForum. :Smiling:

As mentioned previously, Vodafone don't support the use of an alternative router.

....nevermind

Possibly a bit late on this one, but you can in fact do a "sticky IP" for devices on your network. These can be applied in the router GUI settings (192.168.1.1) and select Advanced/Additional Settings/DHCP Settings.

You just need to assign a local IP address to the MAC address of the device you wish to assign it to.

flipside
4: Newbie

@mphasey thak you for getting this issue aired , its stopped me having to go through the pain of switching only to find its not as open as every oterh provider out there. I'll stick with BT for now and come back when things have got a little more open

Catdogchicken
4: Newbie
Well frankly Charles that is disgusting. The sales guy specifically said that I could use my own router. We even got talking about what router I had and what its performance was like. It was one of the specific points that I specified had to be able to do so, otherwise I would have never signed up.

Called up VF now before it's been turned on and have cancelled it, it's a shame your draconian policies prevent you getting extra customers.

Signed up for this service, started today and found I have to use the VF crock of ##~## router as those clowns in tech support won't give out this information. As the poster above noted this is farcical. I'm so glad to be away from BT I am going to grit my teeth and stick with VF, but if anyone knows of a hack, let me know as soon as possible.

I know the post is a bit old but you could try complaining to OFCOM and then getting help from them to write a letter to VF to get out of your contract quicker and free of charge. I've read somwhere about a guy who did this (it was exactly the same issue as you have, not being able to use 3rd party router) and he was successful.

Been with Voda mobile (x2) for 7 years and was just about to sign up for their VDSL broadband. Currently with BT who allow use of my Draytek 2860 by providing the connection details. I use many of its features which the Voda router just does not have. 

Given that Voda use BT Openreach I am now very suspicious why they have this t&c. I only found out after an hour on the phone questioning staff with superb interpersonal skills but very little tech knowledge (eg they hadn't a clue what blocking ports meant).

End result: I'm going elsewhere with my money. I only wish I hadn't renewed my Voda mobile contracts a week or two back as I can't work with an organisation with this degree of perceived obstructive temerity. Those contracts will also be lost at the very first opportunity unless someone has a re-think on this attitude.