Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Vodaphone repair center

lynniecs
2: Seeker

I have a Lonovo tab on contract which has been overheating and turning itself off. It was sent to the repair center only for me to receive a phone call to say that it has cosmetic damage in the form of a dent on the outter casing therefore the warranty is void and it will cost £75 before its even looked at.  After 1hr and 30 minutes being passed from customer services to the repair center and back again, and offered £25 towards the repair , I requested the tab be sent back. 

Having received the tablet back, it took a very long time to locate said dent, which is infact a small scuff on one corner that a magnifine glass is need to locate. (probably caused from being taken in and out of its case by my daughter).

So what I would like to know is .

1. How  without even diagnosing the problem can they say the warranty is void as the cosmetic damage has caused it to overheat.?

2. how does cosmetic damage cause an item to overheat and turn itself off and affect the warranty ? 

3. Why is there no leway for wear and tear on such an item or anyitem that is expected to high usage ( the rest of the tablet is in perfect condition) 

8 REPLIES 8

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Hi lynniecs,

This does sounds as though the repair centre are being a bit over careful here.

Unfortunately the manufacturers put very strict controls on what the VF repair centre can do and I can only assume that the size or location of the 'scuff' in question means they can't do anything with the tablet, it's a difficult one to say without seeing it unfortunately.

You may have more luck going to Lenovo directly

Nabs

lynniecs

Thank you, I will. Although it doesnt help that I am still paying the monthly contract for something that isnt working. 

Hi lynniecs,

As the contract is an airtime agreement, it doesn’t cover the equipment.

The only things we can offer is a repair or advise you to speak with the manufacturers directly to get it fixed.

James

hrym

@James wrote:
As the contract is an airtime agreement, it doesn’t cover the equipment.

In strict terms, that's true, but you do also offer a repair service for any device that's under contract and, taking what the OP says at face value (one person's slight scuff may be another's huge dent), it does seem that the terms are being interpreted more than a little strictly.

I think the repair centre should at least clarify whether they think the damage is likely to have caused the problems that have arisen.

Though, as Nabs said, the manufacturer will have more discretion and may be willing to have a look, if only on a you-pay-if-it's-your-fault basis.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hrym,

When rules have been set by the manufacturer, we don't have any discretion in whether we can proceed.

Cosmetic damage often indicates some sort of impact and, whilst there may only be a small scuff or dent, there could be more significant damage inside. 

Dave

hrym

I appreciate that, but all portable devices are likely to have some sort of mark on them, even if they've been kept in a case.  As I said, we have to take what the OP said at face value and the damage may be more severe than is being made out, but it does all sound a bit marginal.

I'm one of the first to recommend going to manufacturers for this very reason, and I hope the OP gets the matter sorted satisfactorily.

Thank you for your replies, I will try and take a photo and download it later.  It is only a minor scuff and I would be more than happy to pay for the repair if the cause of the scuff is the cause for the malfunction of the tablet. But my issue is initially that I was told to pay £75 before the problem was even looked at.

Thanks again for all your advice.

hrym

As the Vf people have said, the repair centre is limited in what it can do and I think they will always ask for money upfront for a paid repair so that they don't get left holding the baby if the customer decides they didn't want it after all.  Most policies like that are the result of having your fingers burnt once too often.

I'd definitely go direct to Lenovo and see if they'll open, or at least test, the machine and take a view.

Although I think that Vf are taking an over-strict view of the damage situation, I doubt you'll move them and it's going to be quicker to look for an alternative solution.