Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

plain white box for new phone?

Suzie1989
2: Seeker
I upgraded to a galaxy alpha by phoning 191. It came in a plain.white box with only serial numbers on it. No branding whatsoever. The screen protector was not on flush and there is a small scratch in the corner of the casing. Is this normal for a new phone? Felt disappointed by the poor presentation.
8 REPLIES 8

curly
5: Helper
No its is not normal for a new handset, sounds like a factory reconditioned module if I am honest, normally to replace a phone they cannot repair in a certain time scale. I might be wrong but sure someone from tech team will be under the same illusion.

63johnw
17: Community Champion
Hi, if you aren't happy you have 14 days to return your handset and cancel.

With regards to the white box, this was raised on a different thread and the customer was assured that these are new handsets and are in plain white unbranded boxes because Vodafone are buying them in bulk.

hrym

While that may well be true, I can't help feeling this is a false economy and leads to queries like the one here.  I know a box is only a box and the chances are it'll be discarded after a few days, but it's also the initial impression, a bit like that thing chefs always tell you about food tasting better if it looks good.

Ms_JP
I upgraded to a S5 gold over a month ago and got it sent in a white box with no screen protector too. It was defo a reconditioned phone as it had a scratch at the back of it. Called Voda straight away to tell them. They said they dont have any in stock to send back at the mo and as its been logged on the system to just use it for the time being. Didnt want to risk using but after 3 weeks of waiting for the replacement I thought I'd use it as advised. So i put my sim in and it wouldn't work. Called voda who did checks and was told the phone sent was a blocked/blacklisted phone! Not sure how a blacklisted (advisers word) phone slipped through the net and was sent out! Even the advisers at the shop said the fact that it was sent in a white box is wrong! So after so many phone calls to voda, complaints, false promises, no show deliveries i still have no phone. The faulty phone is now back with them as i felt they didnt believe me and kept demanding it back. Even turned up to collect once without telling me. Voda are happy to take my money (for 4 lines may I add) but not deliver the goods or services.. total joke!

Suzie1989
I've just phoned 191 after reading your reply. What a nightmare trying to get someone to talk to. In the end I went through the change account settings just to speak to someone.

Turns out the girl had never heard of a phone in a plain white box and offered an exchange right away without any fuss. Says to me that I was right in thinking it wasn't a new phone. Exchange arrives on Tuesday. Need to see what the box will look like......

curly
5: Helper
Hope u get brand new handset in original box this time...roll on Tuesday...keep us posted...

Ms_JP
Thats great Susie1989. Do keep us posted.

Got my NEW phone yesterday! Came in branded box and perfect condition :Smiling: