Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

s2 overheating AGAIN

GemCocker
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have always had problems with my s2 overheating. 

Last night I updated my Facebook app and I noticed my phone got really hot and it turned itself off. I turned it back on and my battery which was 97% before turning itself off (I charge my phone before bed each night) was down to 2%. 

The over heating is getting a real problem now, almost over heats if I send a few textes or am on the phone/internet for longer than 10 mins. 

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's possible that this is a battery issue - the S2 has been around for some time, so it's likely to be getting towards the end of its life (battery, not phone).   Does it charge suspiciously quickly?   If you take it out, does it look swollen?   The former's a pointer, the latter a clincher.

If you do suspect the battery, you need to get a replacement as soon as you can.   Expect to pay around £10 from a UK-based supplier with good feedback on ebay - be suspicious of anything cheaper.  I'd go for a branded option, even though you can never be 100% sure it's genuine and all batteries are bought in anyway.

There can be other causes of over-heating, but I'd start here.

It's not the battery, I have had this problem on and off since I got the phone nearly two years ago.

If I use the phone for longer than 10 minutes it will overheat and always has done. It's overheating all the time now.

The battery takes the same amount of time to charge as it always has, if I take it out its the same size. To allow the phone to cool down I have to take out the battery and leave it for anything up to 30 mins and the battey is cool to touch but the phone is hot.

Also if you look here

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/105687

This is all the problems I have had with this phone.

hrym

Did you ever get it sent off for repair?   Overheating can have many causes, from a corrupted operating system allowing a process to go mad to a faulty component (which I'd rather expect to have failed by now) or a rogue app. If you've had the phone for less than two years, I'd be inclined to ask Samsung to have a look at it.  I know Vodafone also guarantee it, but if this is a difficult issue, it'll be one where the manufacturer has a better chance of success.

If you haven't, you could try a factory reset (don't forget to back up your data first) followed by running the device vanilla (ie no added apps) for a few days.  If it settles down, add the apps back one by one and see if anything triggers a recurrence - if ti does, that's the culprit.

I did send it off for repair, the person in the shop told me they could only repair the broken screen and not the over heating and I was charged £100 for it, this was Jan 2013.

I've had the same problem on and off for two years now. At one stage I had to use my old phone for around 3 months because as soon as I turned the phone on it would over heat and was told in the shop I would have to pay for it to be serviced.

The only apps I have on my phone that I have downloaded are Facebook, mobile banking and BBC news.

I have tried factory reset so many times now as soon as I take I do anything on my phone I back it up.

Tbh, I can't wait for January to come so I can get rid of the thing.

hrym

As I said, overheating can be caused by a variety of things.  If it's software related, it can be tricky to track down.   I would recommend going to Samsung with it, though.

Northern-dj
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member
Yes no one has spotted a key point here
You updated Facebook, I take it before you did that it was okay ??
First thing to do is remove Facebook then test again