main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

second hand handset

4: Newbie

we are looking at a handset for our oldest and a neighbour is selling their S6 for £350, my only concern is if he fails to make payment on the remainder of contract will voda fone block the handset still

as not sure if i want to risk so much and end up with a paper weight

View more options
7 REPLIES 7
16: Advanced member

Hi there

That is a valid concern when buying any handset secondhand.

As a general rule, Vodafone don't block handsets unless they are reported lost or stolen.  If the orignal owner doesn't pay their bills, trypically what happens is that the line is suspended and in the long term debt collectors are sent over.

We have seen ,on here, a few cases where someone has bought a second hand phone only to have it blocked after a few months as it is has been reported lost or stolen.  Basically what happens is that the original owner sells the phone, the reports it lost or stolen and makes an insurance claim so getting double the money.  Normally we only see that sort of thing happen on auction sites.

I can't imagine that your neighbour would do something like that to you, but it could be different if you were buying from some unknown person.  Just something to be aware of in the future if you buy another second hand device.

Just make sure that the phone works properly and that it accepts her Vodafone SIM card and isn't locked to another network.  I hop she enjoys that handset!

PWIAC

View more options
17: Community Champion
Hi

Typically a phones IMEI is blocked due to an insurance claim against it or reported as lost or stolen.

If a person fails to pay their contract a network typically bars the SIM card and account.

If your concerned then give it a miss and perhaps try somewhere like CEX who give their own 12 month warranty and if a phones blocked because of this they swap it out.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

so as long as he does not reprt it lost it shud be ok even if he fails to pay

View more options

thanks i might try C-ex 1st just they were about £100 more in there but i guess it could be worth it for peace of mind, we have known the neighbour for years so think he would be ok, he just sometimes gets into a lot of debt

View more options
Hi

Typically Yes but a network can adopt any avenue they see fit if a customer stops paying their contract so it's not 100% guaranteed they would attach an imei block.

Any claim on insurance or loss or theft would end up with an imei block.

The shop I mentioned do offer pretty good deals with a shop guarantee back up.

Peace of mind.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options
16: Advanced member

Please be careful with CeX - we have also seen a few issues with them on here.  They often sell handsets as unlocked but in reality this isn't the case. 

Do remember, that if you buy a phone from them that is locked to Vodafone, and you want to get it unlocked, you won't be able to progress an official unlock through Vodafone.  Vodafone will only process the unlocking at the request of the original owner who needs to provide their account details. 

PWIAC

View more options
A top tip is to take your SIM card with you which is what I do.

The Employee will have no issue inserting your SIM card in the phone and booting it up.

This is to

A - Check it accepts your Network Sim Card.
B - The phone turns on ok.
C - The phone attains service. Ie Shows the Vodafone name in the status bar at the top of the phones screen which indicates it is not imei barred etc.
D - I take two different Network SIM cards so one O2 and one Vodafone to check it accepts both so this way you know it's truly unlocked to all Networks if you wish to change Networks.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

View more options