main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

This is a locked archive and content on this page may no longer be up to date. These posts and threads have been archived for reference only.

Archive

why does it cost so much for repairs!

SOLVED
View solved solution
17: Community Champion

I sometimes amuse myself by looking at those helpful internet videos on how to put a new battery into a iPhone.  Ain't going there, no way.  What I mean is, yes, the screen may only be a tenner, but the clever stuff is sticking it in.

Let me get this right, if I reverse into a tree, Renault should give me a new car, yes?

View more options
And a new tree!

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options
16: Advanced member

@hrym wrote:

Let me get this right, if I reverse into a tree, Renault should give me a new car, yes?

And you are never going buy another Renault again if they don't.....

PWIAC

View more options

@jeffkinn wrote:
And a new tree!

With a partridge in it. Forgot that.

View more options

@drey_p wrote:

@hrym wrote:

And you are never going buy another Renault again if they don't.....

Dammit.  I'll have to learn a whole new control layout.  It'll be IOS7 all over again.  (Not that I have an iPhone).

View more options
Community Champion (Retired)

@SynthFG wrote:

Side note, one of the reason the phone only costs £100 is because it was originally assembled by a wage slave in China earning next to nothing, 

Sshh!  If we all start insisting on ethically sourced goods, what is going to happen to our high streets and shopping centres?  Just as the economy is showing signs of picking up, too!

Annie.

View more options

If you Google "Guardian Larry Elliott", there's a very amusing piece about the harsh realities of life in Santa's grotto.  Amusing, that is, until you realise just what the subtext is.

View more options
Highlighted
3: Seeker

Having read through all the comments on this I don't see why people are wading in to support Vodafone's charges, The original poster never implied that voda should foot the bill and admits responsibility. The question was why the high charges, not should I have to pay.

In relation to the costs If the screens are available retail for just over £10, it's a pretty safe bet that the trade cost to Voda would be somewhere around £7. As for labour charges, having replaced screens on several different handsets for people, it does not take an hour, it takes around 20-25mins. An engineer in a workshop would have this done in approx 15mins. Charging £50+ for 15mins labour equates to over £200 p.hour. Morally I would say that's a pretty extortionate way to make money out of peoples misfortune, not to mention a PR disaster!

View more options
I would say your estimate of the cost of a genuine replacement screen and any potential trade discount is way over the top. You have also failed to take account of the administration and back office system required to run the whole operation for a large business - premises, software, billing systems. Then someone had to train the engineers and build in some quality control procedures. Also take account of VAT and a corporate profit margin of say 15‰ net. And these are the things I can think off very quickly. A PR disaster? That would be a sub standard repair system not one that charges a fair price.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

View more options

Or you could go to an independent repairer who may well charge less as they have lower overheads and may well use non-original components.  It could even be worthwhile on a low-cost phone as the replacement cost would still be closer to the cost of a full-spec repair if it went wrong again later.

View more options

If we examine the original question of why a screen repair costs so much...?

1. Vodafone have quoted a repair bill of £65 which they will honour regardless of the actual condition of the phone.
  2. The assumption pre-inspection is that it is simply a "glass" breakage. A new digitizer will cost much more!
  3. There are transportation costs both ways, to and from the repairers. Which also has to be insured against the full cost of replacement if lost or damaged!
  4. The Phone will undergo a full inspection before and after repair.
  5. Only O.E.M. (original parts) will be used, not cheap replica's.
  6. All work is insured and guaranteed to Manufacturers build standards, by certified Technicians.
  7. The Warranty remains in full and unaffected.

There are probably many more reasons to justify the cost but I think all the main ones have been covered?

Even if you were to claim on your Household insurance for accidental damage, you would have to pay an excess charge of £50 or more.

Unfortunitely with accidental damage, the only person responsible is the owner. It might seem harsh but that is the cold truth...

You do have the option of shopping around for the cheapest quote. You can try Huawei directly and some of the high street repairers too.

Whichever route you take be sure to make sure that the Warranty will remain intact!

All the best with your repair! :smileyhappy:

View more options