Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

1st day and not impressed.

daveNOS
4: Newbie

So today is my first day as a Vodafone Fibre customer and I'm not impressed, I've moved from Plusnet and the difference in wireless performance is unacceptable, with Plusnet I used a BT home hub 5 and got a constant speed via wireless of 33mbps, with Vodafone I cannot get above 15mbps(sync reports 38.1mbps) even when less than 6 feet from the router and upload speed is just 2.5mbps(sync reports 8mbps).

I've changed channels with no success and there are very few other networks around me to cause interference, and given that in the previous 23 months I've never had such low speeds I can only conclude it's the router that's either faulty or just really poor quality.

I have also tried registering with my Vodafone but I never get the text sent to my home phone an I also haven't got the answering service on my landline that I did request when I ordered so all in a very disappointing start to the contract.

24 REPLIES 24

daveNOS
4: Newbie

It's getting worse as the day goes on I'm now down to just 1.59mbps and I'm seeing huge amounts of fec corrections on upstream, since 8:30am the router is reporting 9541583 errors, with Plusnet it was almost zero.

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Going by other users on here i'd say the router is at fault.
If you still have your BT Hub you could try getting the username and password from Vodafone and reconfiguring this. Assuming you had no problems before you should be able to continue using the HH with Vodafone.

I've just been given my username and password but the home hub won't accept the username(I didn't think it would)so it looks like I either buy another router or go back to Plusnet who can provide a service that doesn't loose 60%+ of the speed when using wireless.

Go back to PlusNet - I was with them and came to Vodafone - big mistake. They lied about static IPs and VPN configs just dont work.

Odd that the homehub will not take the username/password as the underlying technology is the same regardless of the provider.

If you do want to buy a new router, I wouild recommend either Draytek Vigor 130  [1] + Unifi Gateway [2] (get the gateway from broadband buyer as they will manage it for you , as it's a enterprise type device). Or just get a Draytek 2760 [3] or 2860 [4]

[1] https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-130

[2] http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/19348-ubiquiti-usg/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIxJvTydz_1wIVrLvtCh3ET...

[3] https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/soho/vigor-2760

[4] https://www.draytek.co.uk/products/business/vigor-2860 

I've found out the home hubs are locked to only work on BT or Plusnet connections so it explains why it won't accept the Vodafone username.

I am going back to Plusnet as it looks like the issue with slow speeds isn't wireless related as wired connections won't go above 15mbps, on speed tests they hit 15mbps and stop like it's hit a wall and then slowly drops till it gets to 10-11mbps.

Something is seriously flawed on Vodafone's network and I can see why they charge less than others as it's the only way to get customers.

Tash
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We'll be happy to take a closer look into your speeds for you @daveNOS.

I've sent you a private message with details to get in touch with our team. We'll then be able to raise this with the dedicated Broadband team, who will contact you and investigate this further.

@Natasha I appreciate the PM but I don't think I'll bother, I've tried 2 3rd party routers and the results are the same, the throughput hits a brick wall at 15mbps on both wired and wireless connections and then proceeds to drop to between 9 and 10mbps.

The router reports a sync of 37.2mbps which is slightly quicker than Plusnet provided but the throughput is as you can see significantly lower, there is also the very high level of fec corrections on the upstream the router reported 40145610 in less than 4 days.

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@daveNOS If you do change your mind, please feel free to contact us using the private message @Tash has previously sent. 

If we did need to raise this with our dedicated Broadband team, we'd be able to do this for you 🙂

I don't see me changing my mind, my speeds this morning were a blistering 3.6mbps down and 3.2mbos up via a wired connection, this added to me not being able to sign up to my Vodafone to view my bill as I never receive the text message to my landline despite trying a couple of times everyday since activation on Friday, the whole 5 day experience has been extremely disappointing, I've never had theses issues with any other provider.