cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

1st day. sync speed 10mb down on BT. Why?

poggs
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Just started with Voda today after migrating from BT.

BT sync speed was 37Mb.

vodafone = 27972

testing shows that the download speed is also 10 megs down.  everything seems to be working ok, just 25% slower.

Is there a retraining on the line to be performed again?  is it that there is no G-imp on the router or something.

Is it just that the router is pants?

suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

daveNOS
4: Newbie

The slow throughput seems to be a widespread issue I'm getting no higher than 15mbps on both wired and wireless from a sync of 37.2mbps, my first thought was the router being poor but I get the exact same results from 3rd party routers aswell.

I only moved to Vodafone on Friday but I've already started the process to return to Plusnet as with them I never dropped below 33mbps throughput(apart from a small time due to their new network going wrong).

WileE2017
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

@poggs wrote:

Just started with Voda today after migrating from BT.

BT sync speed was 37Mb.

vodafone = 27972

testing shows that the download speed is also 10 megs down.  everything seems to be working ok, just 25% slower.

Is there a retraining on the line to be performed again?  is it that there is no G-imp on the router or something.

Is it just that the router is pants?

suggestions?

I moved from BT and never had speeds below 60 meg,  vodafone were fine for the first 5 months,  since they have gone hard at getting subscribers for £20 the service has been terrible in the evenings,  I barely get over 5 meg but all other times of the day morning / afternoon are fine.

Keep an eye on it for the next few weeks,  if you don't see an improvement cancel before the cooldown period.

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@poggs As you're still within the first 10 days of your go live date, your router will still be synchronizing and we apologise for any inconvenience this is causing.

If the speeds you're getting are still lower than you should be receiving after this time, be sure to let us know and we'll be able to assist further. 

I apologise for jumping in your thread poggs but I have a question for @TJ, can I ask what optimization takes place that would last 10 days and result in such poor sync speeds and throughput? The reason I ask is that Openreach have told me that any optimization on VDSL takes place in the first 48 to 72 hours after activation, after that period no optimization takes place unless a fault is detected and then it's usually a downward spiral untill Openreach attend and fix the issues and reset DLM.

The slow throughput (and slower sync that poggs is getting)is a network issue that needs addressing by Vodafone, it's very similar to one that effected Plusnet customers last year when they migrated on to their new network.

TJ

@daveNOS The 10 day period is often referred to as the "Stabilisation Period", and will only commence once a line has been in sync for 15 minutes or more.
DLM is Dynamic Line Management, a fully automated monitoring system which runs on broadband ADSL lines. The system runs 24 hours a day and is designed to help keep the line stable. It does this by applying different profiles to the line based on the current line conditions. The profiles will change the error correction and the speed of the line.

During the first 10 days after a new line is installed, this system will be regularly adjusting the profiles in order to find the correct one for the line. This is why there is a 10 day stabilization period.

Everything should be optimized within the first 72 hours, but it can be anywhere up to 30 days in the very worst case scenario.

Please let us know if you have any further queries, we'll be more than happy to help 🙂