Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

3rd party router on Gigafast in Milton Keynes

ctmkuk
4: Newbie

Hi. I have a fast, working gigafast connection using the supplied VF router. However, it is missing some functionality that I require for home users, eg DNS settings via DHCP server, plus a load of stuff I can't do for work, such as vlans.

I have tried to configure my old Draytek 2950n which has a wan side connection via ethernet. Plugged it into CPE, entered the PPOE username and password. But getting 'no response from server'. Have tried vlan 101 and 2000 but same result. Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

3rd line have come through with some additional and essential info! Need to be on vlan 911 to get a connection.

View solution in original position

134 REPLIES 134

machare
13: Advanced Member

Not having seen Vodafone Gigafast before, exactly what Vodafone do you have at the moment and exactly how is it connected to the CPE?

Hi. CityFibre cpe is the end of fibre run from street cab. Ethernet connection to router. I have used same Ethernet cable and patched to my Drayton via Ethernet wan port. That's config'd with fixed IP, username and password. Tried no vlan, 101 and 2000 based on posts here. No luck! All suggestions appreciated. 

If I replace with vf router all good and almost 100meg service

machare

Well you did not tell me much about the Vodafone router so it is not clear if it is the same as the ones used by DSL customers.

For a PPPoE connection you need to enter the connection userid and password which you usually have to get from Vodafone. You should not specify an IP for the routers WAN port as that public address is allocated by Vodafone, nor would you specify any vlan.  You can establish a PPPoE connection using a Windows 10 provided you have an ethernet connection, of possibly a path via wifi.

More router info

CPE is Calix Gigapoint 801Gv2. No ability to manage at all

VF router model is THG3000gv2. Have GUI access and a basic/advanced option. But all internal facing config and no external info. 

The router I want to replace it with is a Draytek 2850n. Full admin access to everything

machare

That is a different router from the one used for DSL connections. Vodafone level 2 support might tell you how it connects to the CPE or you could try various options yourself.  You could connect the wan you own router to the Vodafone router, that might then do most of what you want except for inbound port forwarding.

That's useful to know. I've tried VF support but didn't get any additional info. Do you typically have to ask for Level 2?

Agree i could dpeloy them in series but that seems a bit messy!! 

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated

machare

@ctmkuk wrote:

That's useful to know. I've tried VF support but didn't get any additional info. Do you typically have to ask for Level 2?

I have not noticed a post from an FTTP user before.  I just thought that the 2nd level support might know a bit more. In the past Vodafone did not allow the use of 3rd party routers. They changed this policy about 2 years ago to allowing them but not providing any support.

3rd line have come through with some additional and essential info! Need to be on vlan 911 to get a connection.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you get anywhere regards changing the DNS servers, or is this going to require setting on the connecting client devices individually?