cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Anyone happy with Vodafone fibre broadband?

Thebroughfamily
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Thinking of joining but vodafones facebook page is nothing but doom and gloom of faults and problems, and this community board seems very much the same... is it because there is nothing but trouble with the service or is it simply because only people with problems head somewhere to vent there opinions while those that get good service just carry on with life?

Im with BT and to be fair, there facebook page is similar, and i saw the which report recently and BT came bottom, but in all honesty ive not many issues, its the current pricing structure im not agreeing with.

88 REPLIES 88

machare
13: Advanced Member

@okecokeywrote:

Interesting about the wifi, is there somewhere this is discussed / any parameters for heavy use, I'm still using the VF box Huawei 963168_HUAWEIVOX25. I have the much discussed FEC issue & the occassional slow speed which I put down to peak times usage but wonder if this may actually be signs ofthe wifi issue.

See

@macshare that's a very informative forum post in the link. For my part I can only think of one laptop and a couple smartphones that are limited to 2.4GHz so perhaps it would never be an issue for us with the Vodafone router. 

machare
13: Advanced Member

@Sgt_Bilko  I would think you are right. Certainly no harm in trying.

It surprises me that Vodafone don't get the problem solved as I would expect it to have a bad impact on their reputation at a time when they are trying to build up market share.

@machare Thanks for the link, interesting but again there doesn't seem to be any evidence, I'm also of your opinion that VF should be getting the problems fixed and I'll certainly be contacting them if I don't see a statement that they are investigating the multiole reports about their router, can you confirm the actual model of VF router you were sent please.

@macshare That's the part I don't understand either and made me wonder if the loudest complaints were mainly coming from a group of users with many 2.4GHz devices. I'm not for one moment critizing those who have been affected, but it does help if we understand the root causes. 

I think we all know that ISP supplied routers are not best in class, but it's not in their interests to save a few quid per unit on a cheap componenets if it then generates complaints and support requests from 90% of users. 

Just a thought, but I wonder if this is essentially a firmware issue with the Vodafone router. Once upon a time I had a BT HomeHub router that worked well, while the forums were filled with complaints. At a certain point BT upgraded my firmware and it suddenly became an unreliable piece of junk. 

When I worked out the firmware version was the problem and beyong my control I ended up fishing out an ancient Open Reach router and buying a TP-Link router for about £15 that worked fine. 

Im all good and happy with Vodafone fibre 38mb

I've only been online for a day with Vodafone, but so far it seems fine. It was enabled overnight but running dog slow initially using my old router, so I tried the Vodafone router and then it stopped totally. 

A quick call to support revealed the router had not yet been provisioned for this line, so I was asked to reset the router and something was then done at their end. Ten minutes later it all kicked in and speeds have been solid with no slowdown at peak hours last night, consistently hitting 70+mbps on wifi.

I know there have been a lot of complaints about the router and I was wary about using it, but I've had no droppped connections and it doesn't look like a lot of resources are being used with half a dozen devices connected. I've left it on the default dual 2.4/5GHz band setting so it auto selects, depending on the device and signal strength. 

Obviously 24 hours is not long enough to provide an informed opinion of overall reliability, however the transfer was handled smoothly in stark contrast with my previous ISP, who left me troubleshooting horrendous speeds for the first month, until I posted on ThinkBroadband, which pushed them find the cause and eventually admit it wasn't at my end. 

@macharewrote:

I am happy with the 38Mbps service using a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A router  which I bought 2nd hand on ebay. The Vodafone router should be avoided because of the poor wifi.

Interesting to know, as my Vodafone Wi-Fi is appauling (but I do use the router they sent me).

Soofla
10: Established
10: Established

Initially, no. However at the moment, yes.

Back in December 2016 when I was due to go live, I didn't. I then had to wait nearly 4 days after my "live date" to get a connection. Although I was given the impression this doesn't happen often, subsequently I have read others with the same problem - how Vodafone cannot get that simple part of the process right 100% of the time I do not know.

I then experienced speed issues. A 78mb package which fell through the floor to around 50mb. which I eventually had the line reset on and thankfully it sorted.

Fast forward to now.

I have a connection that gives me 75/19 speeds whenever I run the speed tests (even at peak times). I get very close to this in real world tests too.

I've seen maybe 3-4 outages around midnight over the past 13-14 months, I cannot explain them, but they last no longer than around 15 minutes.

After a very shakey start, I am happy with the service at the moment.