cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Bad start! Anybody else had problems changing to Vodafone?

Alanatabz
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Sawpped over to Vodafone from BT yesterday, despite asking to keep my original number (for work, personal etc) I ended up with a new number.

I was told to contact BT, I did and they said I'm not a customer of theirs now, speak to Vodafone....

wasn't until i noticed zero work calls today that I tried calling in and out and realised I had a new number

I now have to wait up to 4 days to get old number back.

Any savings I have made with changing to Vodafone has been blown out the water by the work I have lost!

Wished I'd stayed with BT!

11 REPLIES 11

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)

@Alanatabz Apologies for any inconvenience that's been caused - when switching landline providers if can take a few days for a number to port over, the same as switching mobile providers. 

Please keep us updated and feel free to pop back to us, if your have any queries about your new service. 

Hi TJ

Will see. based on other comments don;t have a warm feeling.

Havenet taken bookings for a few days, phone line not back!

maybe next few days...

TJ

@Alanatabz Have you had any update? Don't hesitate to get back to us if your issue with your number port isn't resolved, we'll be happy to forward your query along to our Broadband team.

Did online chat this am, phone no being ported at midnight apparently.

will check tomorrow morning

I checked my line at 5am this morning (20th FEb) , guess what?

STILL INCORRECT PHONE NUMBER!!!!

Another new problem, went to make a payment from my bank last night and it tried to call to get a security code from me, realised my phone no is linked to bank that has automated code checker, now I have banking issues not just phone issues!

Not impressed in the slightest with the move to Vodafone on 14th Feb, it has cost me a lot more than I would have ever saved by switching!

Countless chat advisors, email quoting a code for team's help, several Vodafone moderators and still not got my old phone no back!

Went onto chat at 0800 to vodaphone advisor (takshik)

Went through a few detaikls and was asked to dial 17070, this confirms the numbr is the new number I don'y want, and that I need my old no back ASAP.

Now back in the same circle, I need to call old supplier to check they have released number, they can;t help as I'm not under contract.

Chat supprt were no help, so will now go and call BT see if i can go back!

from a manager...

Its home Phone number transfer, and it does take time. The maximum timescale we have for it is 10 days and if the number can't be ported over then the team who deals with the number transfer contacts the customer for best option available.

Funny they don;t tell you this at start...

Immediate transfer

then 48-75 hrs

then 5-7 days

now 10 days!

Well  luckily my transfer from BT to VF went smoothly same number all ok speed seems ok . But your right they don’t tell you everything I found out that certain numbers free on most telcos are seemingly not with VF ie 0870 and some of the help lines ( foreign ones) couldn’t really explain . But found most of the answers from here, well except for my last query which the mods haven’t answered yet

It suggests it'sa hit or miss

Good you had hassle free changover, I've now just cancelled vodafone and going back to BT.

Lessons learned

(1) If changing home phone from one supplier to another be aware that immediate porting really means anything up to 10 days with no guarantee of retaining old number

(2) be aware if you have any security fuctions associated with home phone (banking verification etc) this will be impacted if your old no is not retained

(3) Make people aware in advance that if home phone becomes unavailable, have a backup no to give them in case of a) not retaining old no and b) the fact you will get a new number.

(4) The support online chat responses are varied, nothing seems consistant.

It will maybe work out for some people, however the personal stress, and business damage is worth more than saving a few pounds!