Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband App

SimonWilding
16: Advanced member

Can someone give me some advice on a very annoying issue with the app.

Using the app I turned off the wifi using the on off toggle switch, however it turns out that this turns the router off so devices cannot connect to it. Which is fair enough. However when the kids had done the chores they were set and I said I'd turn the wifi back on, my phone could not connect to the router to turn it back on!

The only way I could turn the internet back on was to re-set the router which took off al the personal setting I put on and I had to reconnect 14 devices in the house back to it.

Surely there be a better/easier way to do it but if the device with the app can't connect to the router to turn it back on what can it be?

Cheers 

Samsung A52S 5G - SM-A528B/DS

Android Version - 12 One UI version 4.1

Last Update 19.4.22

Build- SP1A.210812.016/A528BXXS1CVD1

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4
Nova Launcher. Chrome browser.

My phone history (back to 1997!):

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @SimonWilding

I understand that this must have been time consuming for you.

The best option would be to set up guest Wi-Fi for your children, you can then control their settings and there's also a timer option on there :Smiling:

You can do this via the Vodafone Broadband app on your phone. 

View solution in original position

12 REPLIES 12

machare
13: Advanced Member

You might get on better if you used a separate Wifi network for your kids. 

(Or use a proper wired connection to switch the main Wifi Off and On.)

MrWhite
10: Established
10: Established

Haha, yes it's a stupid setting on the app.  There's a button on the router itself to turn the wifi on and off.  Can't remember whether you just press, or press and hold for a few seconds.

SimonWilding

Yes, I havve added the kid's devices to the family/guest wifi option which you can turn on and off seperately so that's a fix to the main problem.

I did try pressing the button on the router to try and turn it back on but it didnt work, maybe I didn't hold it in the long enough? Although if that is the solution, how long before the kids figure it out....!? 

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Huawei P30, P20, VF Smart V8, Note 4, S4, S2, Tocco Ultra, F490, P300, E250, RAZR v3, Timeport 250, A300, Star-Tac 

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi @SimonWilding

I understand that this must have been time consuming for you.

The best option would be to set up guest Wi-Fi for your children, you can then control their settings and there's also a timer option on there :Smiling:

You can do this via the Vodafone Broadband app on your phone. 

SimonWilding

Thanks Carly, that is what I have done.

Last Update 19.4.22

Baseband- A528BXXUiCVC4

Would be great if the broadband app showed usage, I believe the one from Zen ISP does?

This is not an answer.

Please say step by step how you configure EACH device for a specific time.

Thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

A little heads up of a few things raised in this thread:

You can turn the WiFi on the VF router on and off by holding the "WiFi" button on the side of the router for around 7 seconds.  Turning the WiFi off either by the "WiFi" button or in the app does not turn the router off just the WiFi.  If you are using the VF Broadband app to turn the WiFi off, then as the app uses WiFi to connect to the router, it will lose it's connection and you cannot use the app to turn the WiFi back on.  You can still turn the WiFi back on either using the "WiFi" button or using the router admin pages you'll find at http://192.168.1.1

Just tapping the "WiFi" button starts the WPS function - if the WiFi is already on!

As for setting schedules for individual devices:  Not only is this outside the capability of the VF router, but it is outside the capability of almost every consumer oriented router on the market today.  Even using the "Guest" network for the kids is going to be problematic as you really need to turn it on and off manually using the app as the scheduling function turns ALL the WiFi on and off indiscriminatly!  A partial solution would be to use a third party access point that has it's own WiFi scheduling, and have the kids ONLY connect to that. *That's the best I can give you, though others on here maybe able to better or refine it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I ommitted to mention the reason that WiFi schedulings are not available on a per device schema comes from device providers fearing being sued by angry parents.  If you had per device schedules in place, and combined that with content filtering, kids being kids, will try to find ways around these things - yes even the partial solution I offered is flawed in regards to this.  The solution the manufacturers came to is TO DO NOTHING AT ALL, and leave the responsibility to the parents to ACTIVELY monitor their kids use of the internet.