Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband credit check

fasg
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I'm trying to sign up with Vodafone Broadband, but keep getting a message that I've failed the credit check. This seems really odd to me - there's absolutely no reason I should have any bad credit, and my Experian score is 999. The live chat assistant stated that the credit check is by Experian and recommends that I get an Experian Credit Report, but I don't really want to spend £15 for the privilege.

I'm also a little surprised that I've not had any emails from Vodafone recording that a credit check was made, and that the 'failed check' page just gives me the same list of packages to choose from as when I started. Is this really how things are meant to work?

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Vodafone wouldn't be able to discuss with you why you've failed the Credit check. 

Sometimes even having a high score does not guarantee acceptance. 

It' suggested to also wait 90 days between each check to allow the Credit File to recover. 

You can get reports via experian if you join up to the trial period but be sure to cancel before the subscription kicks in. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @fasg

This will be one for the Team to look into.

The credit check is not done immediately, it generally takes a few days and there should have been some communication and notification from Vodafone.

Give them time to get to the thread, they will be able to help.

I've now signed up for free credit reports from Experian (via Money Saving Expert, as Experian itself only gives one free report per life). There's nothing negative listed. I have also checked on Noddle and Clearscore (the scores are less good there, but there's still nothing negative). Interestingly, no credit check from Vodafone is listed at any agency, even though other ones today are.

I appreciate that Vodafone won't tell me the exact reason why the application failed, but broadly speaking I'd like to know:

1) Was a credit check actually carried out and successfully linked with my Experian identity?

2) Is there something bad on the report that I should look into?

3) Is there some judgement call that Vodafone made? e.g. rejecting me for having moved twice in the last three years?

My guess would be that the issue is (1) -- no valid credit check was carried out, and that the issue is with the link between Vodafone and Experian, in which case the issue is nothing to do with me. But I would appreciate someone from Vodafone at least confirming whether the credit check yielded meaningful results, so I can have some idea whether other providers would behave similarly.

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

This is a strange one @fasg, I've never come across this before.

@BandOfBrothers is correct by saying that we'd be unable to tell you exactly why you failed, but we'd definately like to look into this with you.

We'd like you to email our Credit File team here. Once we've recieved your email, one of our team will investigate this and contact you to discuss in detail.

Thanks

I had the same issue. Tried a few times and it failed. Then I tried with the new-line, which cost me for the engineer visit and it went through no problem. Obviously something wrong with Vodafone's process. 

I'm already a Vodafone customer with two monthly contracts never with a payment issue and a perfect credit score. My credit report from Experian didn't seem to show Vodafones checks either. What a pain Vodafone - fix your process.  Also, it seems to be taking forever to get the email about the free gift. You'd think this was some sort of scam the way it's set up!

DaneB
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

We're sorry to hear this @stuartmcg

Please follow the link that i've previously provided, so that our Credit File team can look into this with you and give you a more comprehensive reason as to why you may have failed.

Thanks.