Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Broadband dropping out

112percent
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Vodafone,

I switched from BT just over 2 weeks ago. After the switch I am now experiencing dropouts of approximately 50s a few times an hour. Examples:

- Spotify will stop playing about 50s into a song

- Websites will stop fail to receive the first byte... killing the connection and reloading the page sometimes makes it work again. Is there something inspecting the pages before sending them to me?

- ICMP packets will mostly flow like normal, though I can run 2 simultaneous traceroutes and 1/2 of my packets will be dropped by the router, the other half will not.

Router:

- The router updated itself with the correct firmware

- Devices are connected using 5GHz WiFi

- Microfilters have been swapped and cable changed.

I have not changed the devices I've been using, but all exhibit the same issues:

- Dell XPS

- OnePlus 3

- Macbook Pro

Any help will be most appreciated,

Thanks,

Byron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dazerb Please try to change your Wi-Fi Channels to see if this assists with your issue. 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

View solution in original position

11 REPLIES 11

Nabs
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @112percent

I assume you're still using the Vodafone router?

Do you have access to an alternative one that you could try? Vodafone should be able to provide the username and password for the connection.

There was recently an issue with the Vodafone router continuously dropping connection, this results in your speed decreasing which many people have been complaining about. Whilst you haven't had the speed issues yet it does sound like a similar problem.

Hi @nabs,

Regrettably I do not have another router to try.

@112percent wrote:

@hi @Nabs,

Regrettably I do not have another router to try.

Have you still got your BT HomeHub?  If so, you can flash the firmware with a 3rd-party firmware and this will allow you to use it with Vodafone broadband.

@Nabs is right - there's been a number of post on the forum complaining of dropping connections.  It does seem to suggest that the router/firmware is at fault although proving it is quite difficult.

R1KSU
4: Newbie

You shouldnt need micro filters as most sockets have them built in now, If you initially got an engineer instal the first time you got fibre, they will have changed it.

evening guys

i can see i am not the only one which seems to be having issues with home BB. I have home BB with VF now since march and never yet had an issue but the last few weeks not only does it drop off but the latest thing it is doing is, i get about 76megs but as soon as i open web browser it drops to about 8megs and if i go on line for gaming i am lucky if i get 0.88megs but as soon as i come out of game i get it back up never had this issue before and i am paying yet again for something i am not getting and it is start to get me down to the point of leaving VF for good.

and i have been with them for about 10 years and have now with them 4 devises and home BB. can anyone give me some idea to what is going.

before you ask the speed coming in to router does not drop as this has been checked its seems to be the out put from router as if it can not keep up

T.I.A

dale

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dazerb Please try to change your Wi-Fi Channels to see if this assists with your issue. 

Changing Wi-Fi Channels – Split SSID

You can do this by logging into your router menu:

- Go to vodafone.connect or 192.168.1.1

- Enter the password - vodafone

- In the top right, change this mode to expert mode

- Go to the Wi-Fi tab

- Scroll down and click on split SSID

- You’ll then see the two options, one for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, in each section, you’ll see the SSID name – we’d recommend changing the name to have a 2 and a 5 at the start, as you’ll then be able to identify which is which on your device.

- Hit apply

Changing Wi-Fi Channels

- In the Wi-Fi tab, go to settings from the left menu

- Here you can change the channel of the 2.4Ghz/5Ghz channels from Auto.

- We’d recommend either 1,6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz
- Run a speedtest before you change the channel and then another afterwards, as you’ll then be able to see any difference it’s made.

Hi All,

I disabled 2.4GHz mode last week, just after I posted to this thread. After disabling it my issues have cleared up. 

Thanks,

Byron

It's odd that this resolved the issue.  You should be able to have both bands active.  It may point to [another] issue with the VF router.

I don't care enough to pursue it. I only have 5GHz devices. Not that I'm saying that it shouldn't be fixed.