cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use Vodafone Router with Google WiFi?

gurmukh
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I see that you can purchase the Google Wifi hubs directly from Vodafone.

What I'd like to do is disable the wireless and DHCP on the router and then let the Google WiFi handle the DHCP and Wireless signal.

Is this possible? There doesn't seem to be any help online as to how to do this.

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21

Hi,

I have a slightly different query/set up.

I want to connect a Google Nest wifi router to my Vodafone router via ethernet and have both Wifi networks available.  Is that possible?  The prior comments all talk about turning off the VF wifi by pushing a button on the side of the router, so it sounds like this set up does what I want anyway.

The reason being, my VF router is in the garage/office away from the house.  I then have the ethernet cabled from the garage to the house and need a separate network there. 

I want my Vodafone router to provide it's own Wifi network to my garage/office where the router current sits.  I then want to connect a place a Google Nest wifi router in the main house via ethernet and provide the mesh wifi network there.    

Jayach
16: Advanced member

The only reason the previous posters were turning the Vodafone routers Wi-Fi off was because they didn't want to confuse the two Wi-Fi networks. As you want both, just don't turn it off.

However that takes us to a problem mentioned in the earlier posts. If you do this you will be running double NAT. Now many people do that without problems, but you may encounter some especially if you game as the consoles do not like double NAT..

You would essentially have two separate networks, so devices on one couldn't see devices on the other.

If the Google Nest had AP mode it could overcome these problem, but I don't believe it does.

If you have the Google Nest, the best thing would be to try it. Otherwise a different Mesh system may be better.

I'm assuming you are on FTTC, the best decision may be a bit different if you are on FTTP.

gipjon

never really understood the double NAT issue 

If this helps anyone out my setup uses 3 routers with all the wifi turned on

main router = Vodafone vox router which is connected to an edge router via cat 6 cable, the edge router is then connected to a technicolour 589 router via a cat 6 cable, Every ethernet socket is in use on all 3 routers

The Vodafone router has a flash drive and also a hp photoshop printer plugged into the 2 USB sockets 

The technicolour router also has a USB flash drive plugged into the USB socket 

3 Xbox's, Wii u, Web Server, wifi light bulbs, Alexa's everywhere, android boxes and firesticks, CCTV recorded box plus other wifi camera's, 5 tv's, sky and multiroom boxes. loads of tablets, phones and laptops. All connected via wifi or cat 6 with no issue or disconnections. All the devices can access both flash drives and printer, and if you do a network device scan with my phone all devices show up 

The Vodafone vox router controlled the DHCP and seems to handle everything fine with no issues at all 

Jayach

@gipjon 

I presume all your devices have IP addresses on the same subnet, as the Vodafone router is providing the DHCP. Therefore you are not running a double NAT. The other routers are basically access points. If they were running as routers you would have a double NAT.

I'm really surprised the Vodafone router can manage that many devices without problems, but if it works for you, that's good.😀

CrimsonLiar

Double (local) NAT shouldn't be the apparently insurmountable problem that it often appears to be.  I really get the feeling that a team working together could come up with a solution that would not be too difficult to implement without breaking the OSI model.

As for the number of devices, DHCP, and (again local) NAT are not really intensive or complex, the reason the previous version of my local network appeared to start breaking down was the increasing number of N (wifi 4) devices.  If you look at the way some of the old home routers going back 20 years were spec'ed you'd often find they'd claim more than 250 devices (253/254 theoretically) - they just didn't list that most of these needed to be wired!

GT-AX6000 cpu pootling along under normal load (wot not approval needed?)GT-AX6000 cpu pootling along under normal load (wot not approval needed?)

@pault2739 Hi there, you can disable the Wireless function on the Vodafone router by pressing the button on the side of the router for about 5 seconds and this should disable the Wi-Fi. If you the plug the Google hub in via the Ethernet it should connect and you can then run the Wi-Fi with that. As long as you don't have any other devices connected to the Ethernet you shouldn't have any issues with this set up. Joe

Hi

I will try this thanks, though it seems to contradict advice on Vodafones own website where it states the router will switch off (and therefore, I assume, the modem will not work?):   

https://support.vodafone.co.uk/Vodafone-products-and-services/Broadband/My-Broadband-app/57481055/Ho...

In respect of other devices connected to the Vodafone Router I also have a Tado Bridge attached by ethernet to it. If what you advise works will I need to contact it to the Google Wifi via a Switch instead?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can confirm that it is indeed the website that is wrong. 

A short press of the WiFi button on the side of the router starts the WPS (auto connect) process, while a longer press just turns the WiFi on or off.  The only way to turn the whole router on/off is using the power button on the rear.

*Google WiFi is a great replacement system, but not such a good supplimental one.  If you use it connected to the Vodafone router, EVERYTHING needs to connect through the Google WiFi, even those devices that use and ethernet cable, else devices on your home network will not be able to see each other.  If anyone in your household plays online games, with the setup that you are considering, you'll have issues with "Double NAT".  So Google WiFi would probably team up better with a consumer modem than with the Vodafone Modem/Router!

Hi

Thanks for all the advice. I have now purchased a HG612 3 B modem.

Before using it I was thinking of first trying to disable the wifi at the Vodafone Router as directed by pushing the button on the side of it (& thus avoid double nat?) & moving the Tado Bridge elsewhere on the network downstream of the Google Wifi, eg by ethernet cable at a powerline adaptor.

If this does not work I will try removing the Vodafone Router & setting up the modem with Google Wifi & moving the Tado Bridge as the above.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disabling the WiFi on the VF router, only turns the WiFi off, you would still be in the double NAT situation as the VF router would still be acting as a modem+router.

Double NAT may not even be a major problem for you - it all depends on what you are doing on your network and the specific devices you are using.