cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can I use a different router as a replacement for Vodafone Connect hub?

Okeanapilieni
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I am over a month with such a terrible connection, today despite an engineer visit, I was still left without internet, the "router" is acting in such a weird way.  keep disconnecting all the time and sometimes it just turns itself off no, red light, no green light, just dead! This is the second time after I have replaced the "router" hub. and this is like over 2 months of a very unstable internet connection.

My question is, is there a way to use a completely different router and get rid of the Vodafone hub?

is there a way to use a completely different router (no Vodafone)?

please, get me out of this misery and tell me that I can do this. it's been over 2 months of horrible connection and it was always the Vodafone connect hub problem. this second one seems like it died out today and I am not prepared to swap it for a third same hub replacement. 

So, what I should know or do to connect with a no Vodafone router to Internet?

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @Okeanapilieni

At this time Vodafone do not provide the required passwords etc to be able to use a 3rd party router. The settings are not available in any support Vodafone pages. 

You could call the Broadband Team to ask them directly but they may advise the same that currently these settings are not given out. 

08080 034 515 for broadband support (free from all UK landlines and mobiles) with lines open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Lochsidelad
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

You can now use your own router so long as it is on the list of approved OpenReach modems and of course you accept Vodafone don't support Third Party kit.

Just go on to the support chat and ask for your PPPoE credentials.

I got all my details earlier in the week.  No hassle no problem.

I moved to vodafone from plusnet a few days ago and tried the supplied router, apart from being really locked down as far as features go, it was more than adequate for an average house, i had excellent wifi signal all over the house and good connection speeds ( dont test with speednet try downloading a file over 700MB to test speed)

I phoned support for the user name and password and got talking to the lovely Gemma who was more than helpful, emailed me the details straight away and i thought i should propose to her.......however.

She didnt include the second part of the user name which is @broadband.vodafone.co.uk it took a bit of looking about on other forums to figure out i needed that bit, once i put that in the login i was connected.

Im now back using my ipfire box and a netgear r8000 as an access point, its worth noting if you are a new broadband user you will need an openreach modem, ive had mine about 4 years now so am not sure what way a new install is now.

Gemma will need to wait a few weeks now before the proposal :Smiling: